Holla trails

King_Crispy

So, I read this topic yesterday as I am in Ballito and have been amped to check out Holla Trails. I must say that after the OP and the subsequent complaint posts I was a little worried about my ride this morning with my wife (in laws went on a ride too). Well, I'm stoked I went! What a great experience! We rode the Maroon route (in laws the green). It was tough, some unridable sections, but all in al a great ride. Even my wife loved *most* of it! :) :clap:

I have to say that the issues raised in this topic were not our experience at all. Markers were EVERYwhere and pretty clear. There was a section where I was a bit confused, but after some serious mental challenge *said with a VERY sarcastic tone, we checked the bike tread on the ground and followed - after 50m there was, wait! Could it be??? Another marker!

People these days, with the advent of social media and forums such as this, are too quick to fire up there mac (or pc for the OP im sure) and bang off some rant about how crap someone or something is. Seriously?! Look, I'm sure you had a *** experience. That sucks, but such is life. After seeing just the one route we did today at Holla Trails I couldn't imagine keeping that place in order. Nic and his team are doing a bang up job if you ask me! (FYI - the furthest marker on the extensive 85km route is an hour drive from the Holla base) If a couple markers go down from time to time, I think a little forgiveness is in order...

I met Nic by chance after our ride. He's an awesome guy, who seems legit in his passion for riding and for Holla Trails. He put that whole place together. I don't see any of you sods doing anything to improve the riding world other that your silly little rant on a forum that maybe a few hundred people (if you're lucky) may stumble across.

If anyone else reads this topic and is put off about Holla Trails, there's NO reason to be. It's a great place -secure, great trails and variety, food, showers and the best bike wash I have EVER received from any bike trail (Not a spec of anything when those guys are done) - well worth he R50 price!

Nic, thanks for the chat after our ride. I will definitely be back. Not too sure I'll keep up with you lot on Friday's ride, but you may see me there. :thumbup:

As Nic said earlier, he went out and fixed the markers so that it would be better for all the riders after our group.

Hats off to the chap for doing it, I don't think anything would have been done had I not posted the article in the beginning....

Great to see a fairytale ending :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I went out for a ride at Holla last friday morning. Yellow and Maroon routes were closed due to the rains and the river being impassable. We had a great ride. Some of the bits on the banks of the river were beautiful singletrack but a bit too technical for me so I walked them. Somehow this enhanced the outdoor experience and also gave me more insight into what it takes to build and maintain these trails.

All in all a wonderful experience. I did miss 2 markers and my son called me back twice. No fault on the course builders part here. Just me not paying attention.

After the ride we met Nic and he really seems like a nice guy. Holla is run very professionally and has in excess of 280 km of trails.

My perspective on Holla is that we need more farmers like Nic who are prepared to open up their farms to us. This is not their main occupation and the income is small relative to farming activity so we should regard access to these beautiful places as a privelege and complain less but rather give constructive feedback as Nic definitely listens.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic and those that have supported our efforts at Holla trails.

As I said, I appreciate the support and even the criticism as that information motivates us to get better and better. The comments here have prompted me to look into our markings and I will be setting up systems to ensure less riders get lost.

When we started, it was really to mark and maintain some trails for the locals who quickly learnt their way around and the markers were more of a guide. We are finding now that more and more people are coming on holiday with their bikes and as they are new to the area the marking becomes more and more important.

Our goal is to make Holla Trails the best all round mountain biking venue in the country.

Watch this space.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic and those that have supported our efforts at Holla trails.

As I said, I appreciate the support and even the criticism as that information motivates us to get better and better. The comments here have prompted me to look into our markings and I will be setting up systems to ensure less riders get lost.

When we started, it was really to mark and maintain some trails for the locals who quickly learnt their way around and the markers were more of a guide. We are finding now that more and more people are coming on holiday with their bikes and as they are new to the area the marking becomes more and more important.

Our goal is to make Holla Trails the best all round mountain biking venue in the country.

Watch this space.

I have ridden Holla a few times and got lost on a couple occasions, which was not the end of the world as the riding/ trails made up for it. Since I have been down trying out as many of the Western Capes MTB trails as I can, it seems that it is not only Holla that has bad route markings, I understand the upkeep issues , with Holla and some of the trails in the Western Cape being working farms, but surely if a decent signage was put up in the first place it should remain in place for a long time, its normally a quick fix.

It becomes a pain having to try figure out if you're on the right route or jut being able to get your bearings all the time, I'm not saying that Holla is like this, but Tokai sure is. I was riding around like a headless chicken most of the time, in the hope I was going the right way.

I went to Bottlelary yesterday(see image attached), and I have to say the markings there were exceptional, the way it should be at all trails. Clear markings, map and additional info all included :clap: post-13006-0-79911100-1325573085.jpg.

I feel you need to think along the lines of a rookie/ newbie rider to the trails, when it comes to trail markings. I've had guys here( Cape Town) try to explain to me where to go but without having prior knowledge of the trails, it was like a load of gibberish being spoken to me.

Another things I think would be fantastic idea, was small trail maps that you could purchase and take with you on a ride( can also become a memento :) ). I've 'been having to jot down a trail route now just in case, not an issue, but a pain in the arse in this digital age, we don't all have Gamin's ;)

I do understand there will be a cost involved, that there will also be times when markings will fall down etc, but if you do them to last a while, I don't see how they can not be there in 5 years time.

Edited by Caerus

Watch this space.

Hey Nic, I would just like to compliment you on how you handled this issue, most professional imho. It has certainly made me want to ride Holla Trails next time I'm in KZN.

Well done! :clap:

for those asking about virginia, definately make your way there, best trails i have ridden (have yet to get to holla as i am on the south coast so virginia is closer for me. :clap:

last i was at virgina they were building more facilities, more showers/toilets and a coffee shop as far as i remember/

as for giba, its hard to get lost, but you probably wont be able to follow a complete route. the marking is terrible everytime i go, after numerous chats to the owners.

well done to holla for making an effort and actually acting on the comment. :thumbup:

Giba merely said we are too busy and dont have the time to check all the signboards at the moment and are also busy with new trails and dont see the need to get the old ones fixed. (my translation)

and the same day i got a mail asking me to renew my annual pass, needless to say i didnt.

Giba have recently re-done a lot of the signage. Much better than before. Think they've received a lot of flack for it in the past.

Oh, boy.

Here you go ya pack of girlguides!

I've even come across people lost in shopping malls!

Strewth!

post-20304-0-55398700-1325861401.jpg

Oh. A warning to all who hate getting lost!

Don't go near Karkloof. I have spent a lot of time seriously lost {in eXstatic oblivion} there....

Just not worth it if you are a MTByker who hates being lost!

It will also help to keep the trail free of clutter.

Thanks

Goo'naaaite. :D

so rode Holla about a week ago, ridden there a few times before. Got a little lost( i guess our fault) so we decided to do a bit of adventure riding which is what MTB is all about(exploring) and we had a blast.

You can't really get lost there, sun rise in the east so if you head that way you will always end up in Ballito.

People complaining about water or not enought food should take more on their ride, specially if you not from the area, anything could happen that hinder you from riding and pushing for a good couple of KMs will add on extra time, etc. BUt everyone is entiled to an opinion.

The track is well marked and very well looked after compared to some of the place i have ridden. Less bitching :thumbdown: more riding. Thanks Nic for allowing us to ride on your lands, great stuff :clap:

Impossible to really get lost at giba,as you are in a valley and any reasonable person just follows the track back down the valley to get back,also enought people ride there to point you the way out.Yes they are making more track,and less concerned with signs,please dont renew your membership if you are offended,makes no difference,you are the loser.

Reading through this thread again and it irks me every time when I hear people telling others to stop complaining, or raising awareness of issues as I prefer to see it. Surely that is the precise reason for a forum such as this? This section is after all called RANT 'n rave, not just rave. I appreciate people sharing concerns they may have, and so should any serious business owner.

Impossible to really get lost at giba,as you are in a valley and any reasonable person just follows the track back down the valley to get back,also enought people ride there to point you the way out.Yes they are making more track,and less concerned with signs,please dont renew your membership if you are offended,makes no difference,you are the loser.

One concern with lack of good signage at Giba is people riding the routes the wrong way. Flying around a bend on narrow single track and coming wheel to wheel with someone coming the other way is something I always fear on the busier days....

my first ride at holla was the blue route 3weeks ago. 5km's in and we were lost. met some other riders and followed them for a bit until we were all lost. Then met some out of towners who were guess what....also lost. Eventually made it back home, by some miracle.

Hope the guys at Holla are reading all this and making amends.

with all the free riding around me, i am usually loathe to pay to ride, but while i was in cape town a mate took me to oak valley, and the for the R30 i was treated to a very well marked course with some well maintained singletrack. For someone who doesnt know the area, it was perfect. Back home i know the tracks so it doesnt really matter

there is no entry signs on some tracks,but even then people often ignore them,and not because they are lost,just because they want to ride the track the other way.I think tracks should have names rather,and some track should be two way.Such as the waterfall trail already is.

The problem is people say it should be this and that,but no one does anything,the people (read members)who have a interest should do something,(maybe a meeting,and have an action plan).Some of the new trails were made by members in there own time.

When I first rode there we used to have "wakkey wednesdays" and the track were reversed for fun,some people have not forgotton that.

Giba has excellent track,some sponsers are nameing track,first timers can spend 5 mins asking staff, members or looking at the map in front to plan their ride.

I can not see a solution to please everybody,even on many races people miss marking and get "lost".