Digital Camera

baie-sukkel

I assume you'll not need a full size chip camera like a 5D mk2.

I'd stay away from kits lenses if at all possible. You can buy a 550D body and go from there. If you intend on using the camera for filming, go for the 600D as it has a flip down screen which is handy.

The basic lenses that come with these cameras are not really that great. Rather pony up and buy some good ones as you need them. the 50mm f1.4 is about R3k and is awesome for portraits etc. You can most shots with position, but it's really hard to cheat a wide shot, so I'd then look at a zoom lens like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. It's about as much as the body but will serve you very well in the field. Look at things like the 80mm prime as well. It's a bit too long for street shooting though. I normally have a 17-55 zoom on the camera if it's the only lens I can carry. If I have the space I'll pop a 30mm or 50mm prime in the bag too.

Try steer clear of the 'all-in-one' lenses with huge ranges. There is a compromise in terms of clarity in certain areas of the zoom range and normally the apperture is not fast enough to cover a wide range of light conditions.

So, in short, get the body first, 1 good lense. Go from there. I'm a Canon man, but Nikon is great too.

good advise

Went the 60D route. Didn't bother with a kit lens but went for the 15-85 USM lens instead

It's amazing how little cameras are worth second hand. I am interested in buying a Canon 7D body, to upgrade from my old 20D. The guy at Orms tells me I'll be lucky if I get R1500 for it.

good advise

Went the 60D route. Didn't bother with a kit lens but went for the 15-85 USM lens instead

Great choice there with the 60D. The 15-85 is a good lens to start with. IIRC it's 3,5 at 15mm though which is fine for most things but I do always find I end up wanting faster lenses especially if the subject is moving and you want some depth of field.

I decided to stick with what I have and invest the money in knowledge! I am hoping to do a part time intermediate course early next year and learn to use ALL the functions on my existing camera first. It make sense to outgrow your camera before upgrading, not buy a bigger faster rig so I can swing my d!ck with the main okes!

That's the best investment you can make! :thumbup:

You don't want to be the guy pushing his Pinnarello up the hill... or shooting with his very expensive Canon/Nikon on Auto mode ;)

Do you really need to go the whole big klunky old skool 35mm size factor route? I downsized to Nikon Coolpix yers ago, has its limitations but its been of great use. See they got some lovely new model, the Nikon 1 J1 Mirrorless Digital Camera:

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/823586.jpg

You don't want to be the guy pushing his Pinnarello up the hill...

Classic analogy! Actually a very good one too :clap:

Do you really need to go the whole big klunky old skool 35mm size factor route? I downsized to Nikon Coolpix yers ago, has its limitations but its been of great use. See they got some lovely new model, the Nikon 1 J1 Mirrorless Digital Camera:

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/823586.jpg

Great camera that but the lenses currently on offer are not the shiz, all a bit too slow.

Hey Dangle,

After reading all the comments from the guys that posted on ODP, it is clear that there will always be a canon vs Nikon vs everybody else debate. Comparing the same level Sony with a Canon and a Nikon, the specs are very similar. I did the sums and I would be in for a few grand to go to a 600D. The step to the 60D worked out at about R8k if I got a reasonable price for my camera and it would still be classified as a entry level / intermediate level setup.

I decided to stick with what I have and invest the money in knowledge! I am hoping to do a part time intermediate course early next year and learn to use ALL the functions on my existing camera first. It make sense to outgrow your camera before upgrading, not buy a bigger faster rig so I can swing my d!ck with the main okes!

I picked up an Alpha flash for a steal on ODP as well. Plan of action is do the course to properly understand the equipment, possibly look at a 50mm prime for the Alpha and practice, practise, practise!

Not too much picture taking happening at the moment... :( End of year is always crazy! Have taken two weeks off so I will be playing! Keep an eye on the thread... I took a few the other day but the standard was cr@p so I binned them.

Have you seen the spec on the new NEX7? :drool:

Good decision in the end.

Saying that, I really don't think one will see a difference between the images from the 600 D to the 60 D.

I saw the specs on the NEX 7, it still delivers to my eye the same image quality.

I swapped my one body for a Fuji X-100, what an awesome toy :thumbup:

Great camera that but the lenses currently on offer are not the shiz, all a bit too slow.

Yes but ... with an advertised ISO 6400 .... would love to see how that 'pans' out.

Yes but ... with an advertised ISO 6400 .... would love to see how that 'pans' out.

If it's good at high ISO. no problem, but I have my doubts.

I reckon for anyone in the" bridge" type market the Fuji X-10 will be a winner.

• 3 weeks later...

Nikon or Canon are the way to go if you are looking for a good SLR. As mentioned in many of the other posts, the glass in front of the camera is really important.

You can look at www.dpreview.com for comparisons on the different brands and ranges.