Giba Gorge Blue

KenG

If only... A chairlift to the top of the hill would be nice! Hey Nige, you listening?

It would be nice :-)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If only... A chairlift to the top of the hill would be nice! Hey Nige, you listening?

+1

i got told to take the 'shortcut' walk up to the top of blue route. i was stuffed by the time i got there haha

no shuttle available and with only 2 of us there there was little point in driving up

A simple winch type arrangement with a rope and a handle to hold would work. Clear a straight path up to the top and install a drum at the top with a cable or rope. Space the handles far enough apart so as not to overload the motor. How hard could it be :ph34r: :whistling:

A simple winch type arrangement with a rope and a handle to hold would work. Clear a straight path up to the top and install a drum at the top with a cable or rope. Space the handles far enough apart so as not to overload the motor. How hard could it be :ph34r: :whistling:

Lets see some working drawings there :whistling:

It's also all down to budget ...

Lets see some working drawings there :whistling:

Like you said, it all boils down to cost. You gotta show the green before you see the steam... ;)

Just ride up the hill you bunch of nafs. By the looks of the bushes below the corner, looks like some dude tossed it on the last corner of the Bizhub trail, the one which kicks down hard right. Could be a nasty spillage that.

That's the thing with the cost argument. The flat trail was there already and the jumps had to be built. Most of them are fairly wide jumps so they could have been made a little smaller and built more to one side and the "chicken run" could have been left at no additional cost.

Anyway I like the section of the new trail past the broken down white house. I also love the Cat (?) trail as it still provides those fast swooping bends I enjoy. There is still definitely something for everyone but I just don't want to see them ruining all the trails with jump overkill.

Just watch out for the mamba that lives in that white house.......

Just ride up the hill you bunch of nafs. By the looks of the bushes below the corner, looks like some dude tossed it on the last corner of the Bizhub trail, the one which kicks down hard right. Could be a nasty spillage that.

Oi! My legs are made of lead and I detest pedalling uphill. I would rather be carried or pulled. ;)

Sniggering at other peoples opinions is not they way to go about it either. Cost is the major factor in anything that happens at Giba, they are not money making machines, and yes maybe they could add some flat sections maybe they are still to be added, which will cost money.

Caerus, I think you totally misunderstand the reason for the snigger. Your opinion is fine, we are all entitled to them and I would never snigger at that alone, but you seemed to be arguing that it costs more to leave a pre-existing trail flat, as it was, than it is to then build jumps on that trail. I simply cannot agree with the economics of this and hence the snigger.

I still argue that from an economic and cost perspective it would be much easier to kill two birds with one stone on each trail. As far as I am aware, and I battle with the names of the trails, there are some sections where a jump will be slightly off centre on a trail and can be jumped if you so desire. In fact on the "cat" trails referred to earlier there are sections where the path momentarily forks and you can either jump or take a sweeping bend. Makes far more sense.... you see I am not stating just cater for me but suggesting options that could please all.

I think it is possible to please all the people. Except of course the lazy downhillers who want lifts to the top of the hill... ;)

Three opinions again.... first, further destruction of the Giba Gorge conservancy and not sure of the effect of a straight path on erosion; second, noise for us who enjoy the peace and quiet of a ride (presuming of course your motor makes noise); third, earlier finances were an issue, I can't imagine this being free and will need to be maintained, I don't want my membership fees going up for something I don't use (call me self-centered if you wish).

Just ride up the hill you bunch of nafs.

My thoughts! :clap:

Edited by Clint_ZA

Caerus, I think you totally misunderstand the reason for the snigger. Your opinion is fine, we are all entitled to them and I would never snigger at that alone, but you seemed to be arguing that it costs more to leave a pre-existing trail flat, as it was, than it is to then build jumps on that trail. I simply cannot agree with the economics of this and hence the snigger.

I still argue that from an economic and cost perspective it would be much easier to kill two birds with one stone on each trail. As far as I am aware, and I battle with the names of the trails, there are some sections where a jump will be slightly off centre on a trail and can be jumped if you so desire. In fact on the "cat" trails referred to earlier there are sections where the path momentarily forks and you can either jump or take a sweeping bend. Makes far more sense.... you see I am not stating just cater for me but suggesting options that could please all.

I think it is possible to please all the people. Except of course the lazy downhillers who want lifts to the top of the hill... ;)

So are you going to be joining us for a build day?

Are we removing the jumps on build day? ;)

No, we are gonna add more, maybe a couple smaller ones for you to practise on. The jumps were added for the AM, Trail & Freeride guys so they too can enjoy Giba, there is more then XC trails for all the other people to enjoy.

Like I said, you can't make everyone happy. That section was done purely down by volunteers at their own expense, so if you would like to have some input, then feel free to join in on the next build day, I'm sure Nigel will love the extra pair of hands. Then we can have a beer and talk about how to take a jump on the great new Gravity section jumps, which by Giba's own admission was hardly being used and needed an upgrade. :whistling:

Exactly :thumbup:

Riding down at a pace you can handle is the issue. The jumps now mean having to brake often to ride over them instead of jumping them. No more free flowing down hill cruising. And unfortunately there are not actually many places in Giba where you get this sensation that I am aware of.

Anyway my opinion has been shared ;)