pedals

Mada3400

i recently got some five ten hellcats (minaars without the white) and was wondering what pedals i should get, normal xc cleats, flats, flats that have cleats

i recently got some five ten hellcats (minaars without the white) and was wondering what pedals i should get, normal xc cleats, flats, flats that have cleats

flats will work, but since the shoe is SPD compatible, give SPD platforms a try.

I'm not sure if this applies to the hellcats as well, but just a note of caution: the Minnaars have a bit of a problem with the crankbrothers mallets, even the very latest mallets. The area around the cleat is not recessed enough, making clipping in a mission. I have minnaars with mallet 2s: the right shoe clips in ok if i use the plastic shims the mallets ship with. The left shoe however, required double shims and longer screws (only one set of shims come stock with teh pedals, along with short and long cleat screws). The general advice seems to be that you must take a knife to your shoes to ensure they clip in by cutting the sole away around teh cleat. That's madness: just use more shimz.

Most DHers i know run teh shimano platforms or mallets for riding clipped in. Seems to work for them.

thanks, i was actually looking at a pair of mallets, but now i think i'll look elsewhere, what pros, cons are there for cleats?

I do xc/trail but i am trying to sell my bike and either get a giant dh team or that khs in the for sale section

Edited by mada3400

thanks, i was actually looking at a pair of mallets, but now i think i'll look elsewhere, what pros, cons are there for cleats?

I do xc/trail but i am trying to sell my bike and either get a giant dh team or that khs in the for sale section

I dont think there's much wrong with the mallets as opposed to the Five Ten minnaars. If i'm not mistaken, the 2011 or 2012 minnaars and hellcats (if not all teh SPD five tens) have a wider clearance around the cleat to ensure clipping in is a non-issue. Lots of ppl use mallets without issue, so i think it's more the shoe than the pedal. So dont cross the Mallets off your shopping list just yet.

Clips allow you to pull up on the petals when you are sprinting helping with power transfer. They also help keep your feet on the pedals through the very rough sections. Flats are great for when you want to get your feet on and off the pedals quickly when cornering.

I have not done much DH riding, I have ridden flats and cleats, now use cleats but mainly because I dont have proper shoes to use with flat pedals.

I am about to see how the Minaar's work with Mallets. Pedals just arrived, and will be on bike once the old ones actually decide to loosen so I can get them off the bike.

I am about to see how the Minaar's work with Mallets. Pedals just arrived, and will be on bike once the old ones actually decide to loosen so I can get them off the bike.

curious to see if u have the same problem i and many many others have experienced. It's a bit strange though the problem, in that in my case, it was only the left shoe that gave grief. When I walk on them, the left cleat sits really proud of the bottom of the shoe and it kinda pokes into the bottom of my foot. I dont care really, as long as the darn thing clips in quickly, and stays clipped in.

What?! Capricorn riding with clipless pedals?! The evangelist of flats himself?! :lol:

Seriously though, no wonder you dislike the things - Crank Bros' clip/cleat mechanism doesn't do it for me, too vague. Shimano SPD FTW.

What?! Capricorn riding with clipless pedals?! The evangelist of flats himself?! :lol:

Seriously though, no wonder you dislike the things - Crank Bros' clip/cleat mechanism doesn't do it for me, too vague. Shimano SPD FTW.

errm only when i go skintight. Yes, complete sacrilege, i know :P But no worries, i follow the gospel when it comes to real riding :thumbup:

WOFL. The thing is, naaaainers are better in most sections, and that's a scientific fact. Bigger wheels equals lower rolling resistance and easier obstacle hopping. Yes, naainers of 5 years ago had dodgy geo, next to no travel and countless stories of how they made people better riders. All but the last of those have now been sorted.

The thing that gets blown totally out if proportion is that the average naainer rider thinks that by riding a naainer he automatically becomes a better rider. Not true. The bike is making all the difference here. Pop the same guy who waxes lyrical about his "skills" on his naainer back on a sixet, and he'll very quickly realise that fact.