Are bike fits worthless for mountain biking?

Konaman

....... I did a bit of reading online, asked around, made some adjustments myself and will continue to do so .........

So you did a DIY bike fit after all, not a waste, I hope. Others may just prefer to pay for it not to have to read too much:D

Edited by DJR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you did a DIY bike fit after all, not a waste, I hope. Others may just prefer to pay for it not to have to read too much:D

When I was 7 and got a bike for Christmas we adjusted the saddle before I rode it. I think there is a difference between this and a professional fit... or at least I'd hope so considering they charge!

I think the biggest issue here is posting this sort of thing on a forum where most regard themselves as an experts.

As a beginner myself, I am more than willing to listen to what is being said in that article. I have had all and sundry offering me advice on how to improve my riding and what I need to do to get better. This advice is well appreciated but the reality of it is that the most important way to improve my riding is to get fit and ride more! A 4mm seat adjustment or a 100g saving on a new saddle will no doubt benefit someone who has reached the pinnacle of their fitness and mastered all the skills but for me, and most newbies, there is a lot more that can be done first to make improvements. As mentioned in the article suppleness and fitness are far more important facets.

Another thread says you cannot buy skills. I fully agree, as did most. Yet here, when this same bit of advice is presented in another manner, it causes a small uproar....

By the way, I never did get a fitment done as I was advised to do. I did a bit of reading online, asked around, made some adjustments myself and will continue to do so as my fitness and skills improve. Sure things may be a few mm out as it currently stands but do you honestly reckon that is going to make too much difference to my riding?

@Clint_ZA That is just the real problem... as a newbie you read loads of crap... and if you do not go to/ask someone who knows you could end up hurting yourself or your children or just giving up cycling because it is too hard/painful/etc.. just because it is on the Internet... It does not mean it is the truth!

There is no harm in admitting you do not know something... I do it all the time! But the cost of trying to be smart could cost you waaay more... I went through 6 saddles before I wized up and went to someone who knows!

The other thread you are referring to was some chop who has no idea that some people have money to spend and he was trying to make himself feel better about his poverty/cheapness/whatever...(sic)

At least the question has produced some discussion...

What people really seem to forget is that this is actually a dangerous sport... and the older you get - the less your body can take the hammering it did when you where 7!

If there are guys/girls out there that can do all the riding they want to at the pace they are satisfied with... and feel no pain AWESOME!!! for those of you who want to ride longer/faster/with less pain... Treat yourself:

GO FOR A BIKE FIT... it is cheaper than going to the Doctor!

@Clint_ZA That is just the real problem... as a newbie you read loads of crap... and if you do not go to/ask someone who knows you could end up hurting yourself or your children or just giving up cycling because it is too hard/painful/etc.. just because it is on the Internet... It does not mean it is the truth!

So you're telling me that all the advice you get from your LBS is guaranteed accurate? Reading this forum seems to show this to not be true. In my experience just because someone at a bike shop says it, does not mean it's true.

I will never follow advice offered by one source online but if numerous sources offer the same advice I tend to trust it.

And I'm interested in how those 4mm adjustments on my saddle height are going to hurt me or my children? Seems like the usual dramatic sales talk.

What people really seem to forget is that this is actually a dangerous sport... and the older you get - the less your body can take the hammering it did when you where 7!

I disagree. It isn't at all if you ride within your limits. I don't shoot down hill on the trails at 65km/h as it is unlikely to make me any fitter but adds dramatically to the danger. You may say I'm boring but i know my limitations. As I get older, something you brought up, I am no longer lured by peer group pressure so I won't do what i don't feel comfortable with..... yet.

Edited by Clint_ZA

So you're telling me that all the advice you get from your LBS is guaranteed accurate? Reading this forum seems to show this to not be true. In my experience just because someone at a bike shop says it, does not mean it's true.

I will never follow advice offered by one source online but if numerous sources offer the same advice I tend to trust it.

And I'm interested in how those 4mm adjustments on my saddle height are going to hurt me or my children? Seems like the usual dramatic sales talk.

I disagree. It isn't at all if you ride within your limits. I don't shoot down hill on the trails at 65km/h as it is unlikely to make me any fitter but adds dramatically to the danger. You may say I'm boring but i know my limitations. As I get older, something you brought up, I am no longer lured by peer group pressure so I won't do what i don't feel comfortable with..... yet.

I try go DH as fast as i can and Im 42 :( Thats the best part I hate slogging all the way up. :clap:

And just to add that we seem to be discussing two different issues here and understanding the article differently. I see it to be saying that for the majority of weekend warriors they will benefit more from some stretching and fitness exercises than a bike fit... unless they have some money to waste.

So Clint I am one of those newbie weekend warrior riders who wants to get fitter, lose a bit of fatass and have some fun. And I followed "normal" pattern of reading around and adjusting a but here and there. Then I paid a bit of money for a proper fitting done by Cycles in Motion in Morningside. They measured limbs, angles of flex etc and then made some small changes in saddle height and for aft distance. Yes it made a difference, even the 5mm up on my saddle. I feel less pain in my legs and back, and that alone was worth the 400 odd ronds and for me I will do it again when I get a new bike.

I only ride for about six hours a week, but it is enough to feel changes in bike fit. I notice this on my legs and back when I swap between mtb and road bike.

What I find amusing is that we spend 2 or 3 grand on shoes that we think are the dogs danglies but think that optimising the adjustments on the bike are a waste of money?

But I suppose there are people who still believe in the Easter bunny, tooth fairy and father Christmas.

Sometimes it is about the bike!

After 15 years on the mtb I reckon a bike fitting at a shop would be a waste of time for me. But I ride more tech trails and the fun stuff and not so much dirt roadie style. If pounding out the miles training for your next marathon race is your thing then a bike fit is probably worth it. But if you drop your seatpost on the downhills and spend more time standing than sitting then frame size and stem height/lenght is all you need to worry about. That's my opinion anyway...

@Clint_ZA I never mentioned a LBS..

Also when you do not know what to look for - if you are a newbie or even an old fart - you can search for days... just going to someone who knows will take you 10 minutes...

I aint selling anything.... if you are that defensive about your stance to realise the potential consequences of doing things yourself when you do not have all the facts... well... it is your prerogative to learn from experience... who am I to steal that from you?

Dude.. you are gonna fall one day... and you when you do... I hope it will not be serious... but lets continue this discussion thenbiggrin.gif

I have to admit part of my "rant" was because I read the rest of the drivel on the blokes website... so take it from whence it comes...whistling.gif

After 15 years on the mtb I reckon a bike fitting at a shop would be a waste of time for me. But I ride more tech trails and the fun stuff and not so much dirt roadie style. If pounding out the miles training for your next marathon race is your thing then a bike fit is probably worth it. But if you drop your seatpost on the downhills and spend more time standing than sitting then frame size and stem height/lenght is all you need to worry about. That's my opinion anyway...

Dude... I wish my body was as tough as yours - seriously!!

and I agree with your "signature"!!

SWEEEEET!clap.gif

What I find amusing is that we spend 2 or 3 grand on shoes that we think are the dogs danglies but think that optimising the adjustments on the bike are a waste of money?

But I suppose there are people who still believe in the Easter bunny, tooth fairy and father Christmas.

Sometimes it is about the bike!

Ah, but you see then there are some of us who do not throw copious amounts of money at the sport but do it bare bones just for the enjoyment of it. I still ride with takkies on, much to the disgust of all and sundry who insist I MUST gets cleats. Yeah, so I am losing a few percent in efficiency but does that really matter when I am just doing it for fun? I am not trying to win any races.

No doubt a few of you will say that being opposed to this just stems from jealousy that you cannot afford it. I can but I seriously feel the R400 can be put to better use elsewhere. But then again I am not pounding out 100s of kilometres every week...

Now, no one who has suggested I pay for a bike fit has ever taken this usage pattern or my lack of cleats etc into account when insisting I MUST get a bike fit done. So again I will say that it is not the no brainer that so many are insisting. To me it differs very little from the newbie pumping huge money into the latest shoes/bike/gear because they want to be faster. Just get out there and ride I say.

I aint selling anything.... if you are that defensive about your stance to realise the potential consequences of doing things yourself when you do not have all the facts... well... it is your prerogative to learn from experience... who am I to steal that from you?

Dude.. you are gonna fall one day... and you when you do... I hope it will not be serious... but lets continue this discussion then

I'm still seriously interested in how this bike fit, with possible 4mm adjustments to my saddle height, is going to prevent me from crashing. Or more accurately, how not getting one done is going to dramatically increase my chances of having said wipeout.

And, if we aren't talking about a bike shop, do these "experts" advertise their services? I have a few friends that I bounce ideas off but as with this forum each one seems to have their own opinion on things. I really fail to see how this differs so dramatically from anything I read online. Here too you find opinions. It is for you to be intelligent enough to realise which advice is worth taking and which to ignore.

I can honestly say that I do not for one second believe that not getting a bike fit done will make my mountain biking experience vastly more dangerous.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Can't say.

Never had one.

Shame. Sell your road bike then and get a MTB. You wont be sorry.

Shame. Sell your road bike then and get a MTB. You wont be sorry.

Ok.

Done.

What about all my White Kit, can I use that on a MTB?

Or will I be sorry?

Ok.

Done.

What about all my White Kit, can I use that on a MTB?

Or will I be sorry?

Ah 'dronk ou' besides the pant and the booties the rest should be OK ;)