RIP - 2 cyclists killed

Frosty

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new on this blog. Please accept my condolence.

I want to start this year with cycling after years of NO Ride, but I am so scared for vehicles. I am staying in Sasolburg and often observed cyclist riding on the Sasolburg / Parys road (R59). Is this a safe road to cycle?

My condolences to the families. This is tragic news.

Boatsie, welcome to the Hub. I am not sure about riding on the R59, as it is a "highway" and cyclists are prohibited from highways. I have seen many cyclists riding on the R59 between Klipriver/Nigel offramp and Brackendowns/Kliprivier rd offramp. I know that they use this to avoid the dangers of the old Johannesburg road as it is a popular highjacking spot. But, its as to my knowledge illegal to ride on the highway.

Any one here with some better advice?

Regarding the accident of Thereza Kruger and Hendry, Thereza was my aunt and also my godmother. Its with great sadness that she passed away in such bad way. Just to clear everything, as I understand, a vw golf went past them with a speed which pulled them a bit in the road because of the force of the wind. A police van came from behind them and hit them. They will both be sorely missed. My aunt's place is empty, her voice gone, but the memories we have of her will forever remain in our hearts. My mom and my aunt is safely in heaven now. Poenie gaan baie gemis word. Rus in vrede tot ons weer mekaar sien! Lief Poenie baie! Xx

SoniaJuliet, huge condolences to your entire family. May Thereza and Hendry rest in peace. Know that everyone here on the Hub feels your pain.

... Just to clear everything, as I understand, a vw golf went past them with a speed which pulled them a bit in the road because of the force of the wind. A police van came from behind them and hit them...

An observation: I've often noticed that when a second (third or more) car passes me in a string, it usually passes closer to me than the first?? As if the driver wants to bisect what space is left. This is very common and difficult to anticipate because you can't really know whether there's one or more cars approaching from behind. It's happened so often I've wondered why people driving calculate like that?

MUCH more needs to be done for driver education!! Not just licensing and policing. Get kids out on bikes... Get them riding together in safe areas... if you miscalculate, you feel it.

To Sonia, family and friends... deepest condolences...

Being new to cycling this upset me. Week after week I read on the internet about cyclist getting killed. I made a choice to only ride suikerbosrand or when it is a organized event. Condolances to the family. Ps. I also stay in Alberton.

So sad to check in on the Hub for the first time in 2012 and see this.

Condolences to family and friends. RIP Thereza and Hendry

I want to start this year with cycling after years of NO Ride, but I am so scared for vehicles. I am staying in Sasolburg and often observed cyclist riding on the Sasolburg / Parys road (R59). Is this a safe road to cycle?

This is definitely not the route you wanna ride, rather go past Wonderfontein down to Stonehaven, and do a route through Vdbp. There is also a group Saterday mornings, from Vdbp Cycles. Pop in there I check it out.

Thank you to all and your messages my Dad did something he enjoyed with his close friend Thereza Kruger. I cant describe what we are going through but we can comfort ourselves in knowing that they had a passion for the sport.

To everyone in the hub, I want to thank you for your sincere words. Know that the family appreciate it. I'm not a cyclist, by my aunt (Thereza) caught me once. Asked me to ride with her, would only be a 45km race. I ended up riding a 65km race. It was fun but I understand the danger on the roads with cars. Some really don't care. I got so much respect for cyclists as my aunt was one. Its a huge loss but we believe that their wheels will keep on spinning in heaven. Thank you again everyone! Please drive safe all of you!

To everyone here on the hub, I would like to thank you all for the kind words. I'm not a cyclists but have a lot of respect for them. I experienced it once as my aunt aunt (Thereza) caught with a race. She said its a 45km race, instead it was a 65km. It was the Campus to Campus race. Was fun but some motorists just don't care. We believe their wheels will keep on spinning in heaven. They died in something they loved, cycling!

To all your cyclist, please drive safe.

Hi Boatsie,

Unfortunately we as cyclists have to make do with the lesser of the two evils! I also stay in Sasolburg and I also ride on the R59 to Parys. I do that route because after about 5km out, the road have a very broad yellow line shoulder. Just yesterday morning there were about 30 cyclists out on that piece of road. The best time is at 05:00 in the morning. If you go to the bridge over the N1 and back, you have a nice +/- 45km ride. Going to Parys, having a coffee at the Wimpy and then back is about 84km. The road is very smooth with almost no potholes, except in Parys itself, and one place on the way back where it looks like tha tar has melted because of an accident. Do not fool yourself and thaink that the route to Parys and back is fast and flat! Here is the route profile.

post-1034-0-17005900-1325617151.jpg

I used to cycle out on the Wonderfontein road up to Stonehaven, and then on the Stokkiesdraai road. If you turn at Oscars cafe, you would have covered approximately 40km from Sasolburg, to Loch Val Hotel and back is 50km. I do not cycle that route often because the road is not very broad, which does not give you room to swerve when needed. There is no shoulder at all, and full off potholes.

But, you will have do make that decision yourself. I have done both, and recently have come to prefer the R59 route. The other alternative is that you can also go out on the R57 toward Heilbron, and then after about 12km turn left on the R549 towards the Vaal dam. Once on this road, you also have a nice broad shoulder and the road is not too bad. To the dam wall and back to Sasolburg is about 75km. I would however not reccomend this during the week, because there really are a lot of taxis coming from Heilbron and the Chris Hani squater camp going towards Sasol and Vanderbijlpark.

Safe cycling!

Jaco

Edited by Jaco Steyn