ASG Trans Baviaans 24hr MTB Marathon 2012

EcoBound MTB Events

Meer as 100 mense is sedert Saterdag in die Baviaanskloof vasgekeer deur vloedwater.

Lyk my ons gaan moet "vlerkies" saamvat!!!! :eek:

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PLENTY for sure - Joubertina at one stage had over 100mm fall in just 1 hour! - Things are not looking good for the original TB route, I hope I am wrong, but looking at all the water comming down the Grootrivier and specialy the Gamtoos river, I don't think many of the newly built low water crossings in the kloof are still standing.

Here are some pics of the actual TB route I took yesterday:

Also hope you are wrong.Ek bek@k myself as ons weer die langs Baviaans roete moet ry.Al hoekom ek die jaar ingeskruif het was om die oorspronklike roete vir die eerste keer te doen.

Also hope you are wrong.Ek bek@k myself as ons weer die langs Baviaans roete moet ry.Al hoekom ek die jaar ingeskruif het was om die oorspronklike roete vir die eerste keer te doen.

+1

As voorbereiding vir die nat Baviaans gaan ek vandag die nat Knysna Woude bekyk en tel hoeveel bome omgewaai,omgeval en verspoel het.

Copy of e mail received from the guesthouse at Sandvlakte. I think Langs die Baviaan is looking like a reality. :thumbdown:

The river is in full flood and parts of the road is washed away in several locations. The road through the wilderness will be inaccessible for a very long time. I will let you know what is happening since the farmers are trying to open up parts of the damaged road today and the rest of this week.

Ek wonder of Ecobound vroeer as laas jaar gaan besluit oor die roete? Dit sal ten minste 'n mens 'n geleentheid gee om dinge te reel en te besluit of jy daai mislike "om Baviaans" wil ry?

I don't think the route itself is more 'mislik' than the normal route, rather the cold and mud that made it more so?

I don't think the route itself is more 'mislik' than the normal route, rather the cold and mud that made it more so?

Langs Baviaans sucks, and its allot more climbing. I'd rather climb Bergplaas twice than that climb up to the tower again.

Langs Baviaans sucks, and its allot more climbing. I'd rather climb Bergplaas twice than that climb up to the tower again.

Why in your opinion does it suck more?

As you say, it is definately more climbing and the mud up that climb(walk) made it doube miserable. Last year was super tough, we were the last full/complete team to finish through various reasons...But for me its all about the adventure and 'cameraderie', so I guess from a pure cycling perspective the normal route is better, but for me it doesn't matter what route we ride.

I suppose "mislik" isn't the correct word. It is just not the same WOW factor. The stats for the two races, as per the organiser "Langs Baviaans is definitely more difficult than the Trans Baviaans as you climb 2817m over 235km compared to 2540m over 224km for the Trans Baviaans". So, if you haven't done a "langs" you need to apply rule 5!

There is plenty of hype around the conditions in the Baviaanskloof and about the route that will be used this year. Reports from the Baviaanskloof is that access roads are closed. At the moment water levels are too high for vehicular access. Levels are subsiding at a rate of a foot per day. Repair work will start next week. It is too early to make any decision regarding which route will be used. We liaise with Eeastern Cape Parks regularly. The situation will be monitored and a decision will be made closer to the time. For now we are still on the original route. Keep on training !!

Hahahaha, ek voel ook so! Maar ry gaan ons hom ry of hy deer of om die baviaans is.

Kan nie meer wag om lekker af tetjop nie.

Ek kan my nie nou al kry om aan die tanneklap van koue te dink by die start nie.

Hoop net dit is droog van bo.