Which hardtail in R10k range?

Newboy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look a the COMMENCAL Supernormal.

It is on special. Used to retail for R 12 999.00, it is now R 11 600.00

20071220_013526_supernormal.JPG

It is on special. Used to retail for R 12 999.00' date=' it is now R 11 600.00

[/quote']

Are those hubs disc compatable if not then you are pushing it. I mean you can get a GT Avalanche Pro for 11K. Full LX/XT + a Recon Fork..

racer x, it says "hubs c disc light". that pic really doesn't do that bike justice. you gotta see it up close. it really is a beaut! 

Have a chat with Slowpoke, she recently bought herself a Mongoose Hardtail  for around that price with good components (incl Hydraulic Discs).

With no disrespect to JLDam, I personally think that the Commencal is overpriced for what components the bike has.

Have a chat with Slowpoke, she recently bought herself a Mongoose Hardtail  for around that price with good components (incl Hydraulic Discs).

With no disrespect to JLDam, I personally think that the Commencal is overpriced for what components the bike has.

With you on this one Thug.  The Commencals are very pricy, why, I don't know

Definately Silverback Sierra or Felt Q920 or Merida TFS700. Best value for money on kit and all three are fairly light at their price range.

Phone Cycle Factory in Montague Gardens, last time I was there they had all three in stock and I know the 07's have been reduced. They have a less 15% sale on all Felts.

(021) 552 8285

It is on special. Used to retail for R 12 999.00' date=' it is now R 11 600.00

[/quote']

Are those hubs disc compatable if not then you are pushing it. I mean you can get a GT Avalanche Pro for 11K. Full LX/XT + a Recon Fork..

Hi Racer X,

The hubs are disc compatible.

The GT Avalanche pro is a Full LX groupset (see specs below), while the supernormal comes with an LX/X9 (XT level) package.

The Fox F100 fitted on the Supernormal would compare with the Rockshox SID Race, instead of the REBA range which is more entry level than the SID. So I would rate the fork better on the supernormal.

"Fluid formed lightweight aluminium frame
Rock Shock Recon 351 Air, 100 mm of travel with rebound, compression and lockout
Full 07 Shimano LX groupset with hydraulic disc brakes
Truvativ Stylo Team cranks
WTB SpeedDisc rims with LX hubs
Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tyres with DTC compound for better traction
SDG Bel Air saddle"

What a lot of people tend to do, is forget about the number one component in a bike, which is the frame. Any manufacturer can supply Sram or Shimano, what makes the difference between bikes is the frame design (Note that I am not taking a swipe at GT, here, just a general comment). This is where the Supernormal is strong, as it shares its design with our top of the range hardtail, making it a very quick and responsive bike, while still being comfortable, thanks to our wishbone design at the back. It is a pleasure for single track.

But don't take my word for it, I invite you to come and demo the bike. Wink

[snip]

The GT Avalanche pro is a Full LX groupset (see specs below)' date=' while the supernormal comes with an LX/X9 (XT level) package.

The Fox F100 fitted on the Supernormal would compare with the Rockshox SID Race, instead of the REBA range which is more entry level than the SID. So I would rate the fork better on the supernormal.

"Fluid formed lightweight aluminium frame

Rock Shock Recon 351 Air, 100 mm of travel with rebound, compression and lockout

Full 07 Shimano LX groupset with hydraulic disc brakes

Truvativ Stylo Team cranks

WTB SpeedDisc rims with LX hubs

Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tyres with DTC compound for better traction

SDG Bel Air saddle"

[snip']

Just a minor correction: the Avalanche Pro is specced with an XT rear d?railleur.

Wink