• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverback Sierra is full XT

The website doesn't agree:

http://www.silverback.co.za/bike_specs/sierra.htm

Not trying to be argumentative here... I was also interested in the best deal around R10k when I bought my bike (Avalanche Pro) and did a lot of research. Wink I got mine for under R9k and missSlick got a Merida Matts 800 for R9k.

The main reason I didn't consider the Silverbacks was the steep geometry with short top tube. Doesn't work for big guys.

One correction guys the Reba is not the downgrade of the SID, it's the same internals on beefier externals, in fact I think the comparison of a fox to a Reba is fair and accurate, both stiff, both work well.

Thuggie, my mongoose was a bit more than R10k (like in R3k more) - i stretched it to that because the weight saving and better specs that i got for that R3k extra was sooooo well worth it.

personally i feel if you're gonna go hardtail go for as light as you can with the best components you can.

i looove my mongoose and can't wait to get back out on him... i promise not to try flying again for a while - i want to be in 1 piece to be able to ride the 2008 24-hour! (so yep, gotta avoid flying for 11 months, i'm sure i'll survive waiting that long)

TitusTI, would you recommend a 29er hardtail?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If you are forced to take a hardtail, then yes take a 29'er hardtail, if not then take a 29'er full sus.

• 2 weeks later...

GT Avalanche Expert/Pro ... try Westdene, speak to Steward....

The Gt is... well, that frame is excellent!!!

Hey Ox, yeah I do agree, that's why I say if you can't sping for the FS then get a 29'er HT, there are now quite alot of guys bringing in, so we have options, finally!

In fact a friend of mine just built up his Niner HT 29'er, it's actually a damn nice bike! Nice geometry.

a 29" GT single speed HT with rigid fork goes for R5500. Add a Reba 29" fork for another 4k and the bike is still under 10k.

Not sure if the front end of that bike is suspension corrected?

That would be a nice ride, but like I said earlier, have a look at the GF Rig, also a straight off the shelf 29'er SS except it already has the Reba.