Time for a shock upgrade?

Vexer

Hey peeps!

I've got a '11 GT Avalanche 2.0 with a RockShox Dart 2 fork. I know that it's not the greatest fork but it's my first real bike and when I bought the bike I wasn't sure what kind of rider I am, or what sort of riding I wanted to do.

I went for a ride on Saturday and pushed the bike quite a bit (but nothing that got me worried) and bottomed out the fork quite a few times. It's a little worrying and makes me feel like even though I have only had the bike for a few weeks I have found a limitation in it already.

Is there a logical next step? Do I upgrade the fork or look for a new bike with a better fork or shocks fitted?

I'm in much the same boat as you in terms of being fairly new to this and made my first "proper" bike purchase in November. I am fully aware of the fact that it cannot compete with some of the bikes mentioned on here but then it was never my intention for it to do so.

I do, however, sometimes wonder while riding with others, who have far superior bikes, how much of an advantage this is giving them. My bike gets me around but is it requiring a lot more effort from me? I see them flying down bumpy single track while my bike shudders and bumps it's way down. I seem to have to be a lot more choosy of the line I take while they just gun it. Obviously over time rider skills develop too but they must be getting some advantage.

So yes, like you I do sometimes wonder to myself whether I should look at upgrading certain components but then I wonder how much difference it will really make.

Now, taking into account my novice status, in your specific case can your fork not just be adjusted to prevent it bottoming out. Surely it should be able to be?

Edited by Clint_ZA

Shocks are pretty pricey. You looking at R5k roughly for a new fork.

If I were you I would look at spending a bit more and replacing your bike with something better specc'd.

Chances are that if you want to upgrade your fork now, you will want new components in a few months as well. To upgrade one piece at a time is a costly exercise and you will find better value buy buying something new or better yet second hand. There plenty deals around for second hand bikes.

Hey peeps!

I've got a '11 GT Avalanche 2.0 with a RockShox Dart 2 fork. I know that it's not the greatest fork but it's my first real bike and when I bought the bike I wasn't sure what kind of rider I am, or what sort of riding I wanted to do.

I went for a ride on Saturday and pushed the bike quite a bit (but nothing that got me worried) and bottomed out the fork quite a few times. It's a little worrying and makes me feel like even though I have only had the bike for a few weeks I have found a limitation in it already.

Is there a logical next step? Do I upgrade the fork or look for a new bike with a better fork or shocks fitted?

Chap, you leave out your ride weight here. Your Dart is 100mm travel right? It is a coil fork (coil one side, left) On the top is a wave shaped dial. This can increase or decrease the spring load, If it is loose all the way, and you are fairly heavy, the fork will bottom out too often.

Increase the preload (+) to see if that helps. If not, it may be that the spring weight is too light for you.

Upgrade: If you are going to, and you feel you are going to be doing more trail riding than xc, then look for something with 100-120 travel, dual or solo air, like Rx Recon. You will feel a difference.

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with your bike at all. Keep an eye on this here Hub. You could easily pick up a Recon for 1200-1500 buxs

Edited by The Drongo

Chap, you leave out your ride weight here. Your Dart is 100mm travel right? It is a coil fork (coil one side, left) On the top is a wave shaped dial. This can increase or decrease the spring load, If it is loose all the way, and you are fairly heavy, the fork will bottom out too often.

Increase the preload (+) to see if that helps. If not, it may be that the spring weight is too light for you.

Upgrade: If you are going to, and you feel you are going to be doing more trail riding than xc, then look for something with 100-120 travel, dual or solo air, like Rx Recon. You will feel a difference.

EDIT: There is nothing wrong with your bike at all. Keep an eye on this here Hub. You could easily pick up a Recon for 1200-1500 buxs

Thanks for the response. I should have put my weight in haha. I'm a fairly big guy at 6ft3 odd and 95 odd kgs. I have adjusted the preload to maximum and I can still seem to get the shock to bottom out. I tend to ride much faster than the people I am riding with, and am probably a little more aggressive with my lines and expectations of the bike.

Get a Suntour fork if you don't have loads of cash, bought an Epicon (adjustable from 80 to 140mm I think) for R2000, its air so you can adjust to your weight and it has remote lock out as well. There are cheaper ones as well. My old Suntour air fork (MAG32) is now on the GF's bike, that replaced the RS Dart 3 which was rubbish for her (hardly moves under her weight!). I am over 100kg. I agree on there being nothing wrong with your bike, I have the GT Av1.

Edited by Mojoman

Thanks for the response. I should have put my weight in haha. I'm a fairly big guy at 6ft3 odd and 95 odd kgs. I have adjusted the preload to maximum and I can still seem to get the shock to bottom out. I tend to ride much faster than the people I am riding with, and am probably a little more aggressive with my lines and expectations of the bike.

Yep. Likely a medium weight spring, good for >78 kg.

Here is something: thehubsa.co.za> Classifieds> MTB> MTB Suspension> Front Shocks> Fox F Series RL 32

Yep. Likely a medium weight spring, good for >78 kg.

Here is something: thehubsa.co.za> Classifieds> MTB> MTB Suspension> Front Shocks> Fox F Series RL 32

I saw that yeah... Is it true that Fox forks/shocks are largely regarded as being the better/best shock option? I know that store and the owner, nice guy! :)

If you are determined to upgrade something:

Forks and wheels are the best things to upgrade as you can always port them to your next bike, sticking the old one back on the current bike when you sell it. Plus they reportedly make the biggest differance to performance.

Consider buying a top of the range Fox or Roxshox, they will probably cost more than your whole current bike but when its time to sell the Avalanche it will likely still be an upgrade on your new bike - and you can sell the new fork to someone if its half decent.

"I saw that yeah... Is it true that Fox forks/shocks are largely regarded as being the better/best shock option? I know that store and the owner, nice guy!"

Rockshox and Fox have their pro's and con's.

Fox might be generally consider better but they are expensive to maintain and you don't get the same 'value for money' that Rockshox gives. In the end its probably 'horses for courses' sort of thing.

Agree 100% with Drongo - if you can make the fork work for you, don't go a-changing!

I haven't been riding long, but found a similar disagreement with my first coil fork (a Judy I think). I decided to go for an upgrade, and trawled the second-hand market for a bit. I wouldn't bother looking at buying a new fork (unless it's on a mad special deal), as has been mentioned here already. They are heinously expensive, and difficult to justify not just getting a new bike.

If you are looking for a new fork, try get an air-sprung fork (at least Solo Air, with a single air 'coil'). If you are a bigger guy (as I am), you can pump the air spring to a higher pressure, hopefully preventing bottom-out. As Drongo said, you can pick up a Recon air (light, solid and very popular fork) for a good price quite often. If you want to save even more, try look out for an older Tora 318 (heavier, but tougher and cheaper), or one of the Suntour air forks (a lot of people look down on them, but they are even more affordable - you could pick one up for a few hundred bucks). The Tora and Suntour (Epicon) shocks also offer a little more travel (up to 130 or 140 mm), and are pretty adjustable - great for if you want to be experimenting with travel!

EDIT: Just saw all the other responses that went up while I was typing - sorry for any repitition/redundancies :)

Edited by SwtCraigMachine

The Rock Shox Recon people keep mentioning is like the Toyota Corrola of air shocks. They are about R3000 - R3500 new. I have one and it is great, but nowhere as smooth as my friend's R8000 Fox.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Agree 100% with Drongo - if you can make the fork work for you, don't go a-changing!

I haven't been riding long, but found a similar disagreement with my first coil fork (a Judy I think). I decided to go for an upgrade, and trawled the second-hand market for a bit. I wouldn't bother looking at buying a new fork (unless it's on a mad special deal), as has been mentioned here already. They are heinously expensive, and difficult to justify not just getting a new bike.

If you are looking for a new fork, try get an air-sprung fork (at least Solo Air, with a single air 'coil'). If you are a bigger guy (as I am), you can pump the air spring to a higher pressure, hopefully preventing bottom-out. As Drongo said, you can pick up a Recon air (light, solid and very popular fork) for a good price quite often. If you want to save even more, try look out for an older Tora 318 (heavier, but tougher and cheaper), or one of the Suntour air forks (a lot of people look down on them, but they are even more affordable - you could pick one up for a few hundred bucks). The Tora and Suntour (Epicon) shocks also offer a little more travel (up to 130 or 140 mm), and are pretty adjustable - great for if you want to be experimenting with travel!

EDIT: Just saw all the other responses that went up while I was typing - sorry for any repitition/redundancies :)

Thanks for the response. I think I'll troll the forums and gumtree etc for a while to see if i can find an air fork for a good price. I like the idea of pumping the fork up. I'm pretty keen to experiment with travel as well as I'm not sure what sort of riding I'm into yet. I like XC but I enjoy technical downhills a lot too.

The Rock Shox Recon people keep mentioning is like the Toyota Corrola of air shocks. They are about R3000 - R3500 new. I have one and it is great, but nowhere as smooth as my friend's R8000 Fox.

'cause it is. :D

Hey peeps!

Hi Vexer. There are many reasons why you shouldn't upgrade your fork just yet:

1) You can buy a spring rated for your weight, which will sort out the bottoming out issue right away.

2) You'll be putting a new, better fork onto a starter bike, which will be of little benefit to your riding.

3) You'll need to cut down the steerer tube of this fork, which will mean it'll likely not fit your next frame should you upgrade (which you will)

4) A spring fork is far less effort to maintain, so you can get on with riding.

5) Your next bike you'll likely want a longer travel fork, rendering the new one useless.

Call your LBS and see how little a heavier specc'd spring will cost you. Bike shops will ALWAYS try to sell you something that will make them money. As an aside, a spring will always be better than air. On the cheap forks they are not easy to tune, and some of them cant be properly dialled in, but on a good fork I love it to have a spring. Very responsive and linear right through the stroke.