Rims for trail bike

Pittstop

The Easton Havens are on special on buycyle at the moment. Cant remember the exact price. Pretty good reviews if you google it. Initial problems with the hubs, but this seems to have been sorted out now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my ZTR Flows on Hope Pro2 Evo's from CRC, excellent price and they convert to tubeless just with the yellow tape and a tubeless valve.

Had a set of ZTR crest rims built to the crazy beautiful white industries hubs by spokeworks and been very happy, stayed perfectly true after more than a year of a lot of smashing on trails. I'd definitely recommend the hand built option over buying a stock wheelset as you can get a completely unique build to suite exactly your riding style and weight.

Was worried at first that the crests would be weak because they're light but they've seen plenty of big jumps and a few sets of tires and they're still perfectly true.

Was worried at first that the crests would be weak because they're light but they've seen plenty of big jumps and a few sets of tires and they're still perfectly true.

Strength is not the only consideration. Rims for a trail bike needs to be wide enough to fit high volume tyres.

A typical trail/All mountain rim is between 24 and 27 mm wide.

So by now my before mentioned Mavic Crossmax SXs have seen some action.

Coming in at under 1755g a set, they're pretty light. They're already tubeless. (a fact which mavic states makes them stronger, by not having spoke holes in the outer wall...

and so far I've hit: fountains (including gap jumps on old DS line), DHL jump line, bike park tons of times (including gap dirt jump line... with a case or 2 :ph34r: ), hurlingham jump line, and 139 DH course.

And I'm happy to report that they're still running true!

I know the OP was only asking for rim recommendations... but to anyone looking for a whole new trail/enduro/AM wheel I'd recommend them. Nice and light. Can fit 2.4 tyres on no prob (21mm internal width, 24mm external AFIK). And can withstand my 87kg butt hacking them and landing sketchy

Strength is not the only consideration. Rims for a trail bike needs to be wide enough to fit high volume tyres.

A typical trail/All mountain rim is between 24 and 27 mm wide.

The crest is 24mm wide and ive had no problems running the 2.4inch Hans damf tires. Wheel build comes in at 1430g, pretty light.

The crest is 24mm wide and ive had no problems running the 2.4inch Hans damf tires. Wheel build comes in at 1430g, pretty light.

Schwalbe Hans Dampf is an awesome tyre. Where did you buy it?

CRC. Gonna put through another order soon if you're keen to add on so we can get the free shipping. Awesome tire but like all the schwalbe's not very well wearing.

Keeping an eye on this thread - I've been running AlexRims SupraBH rims for trail / AM riding. To be honest, they are tough but moer heavy...

Been considering Spank Subrosa's or Oozy's - the Oozy's are a tad lighter and narrower, but received a good review on Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Spank-Oozy-EVO-Rims-Tested-2011.html

Just not sure if, considering I weigh in at over 110kg, I shouldn't just go for a heavier duty rim (like the Subrosa) or if something like the Oozy will be tough enough. At least this thread's giving me a few extra options to look at. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?

Italian wheel maker DRC have a secret weapon.. and I am not telling what it is!

Why is it a weapon? It is strong, light and cheap.. The elusive combination thought to only exist in fairy tales!

Why am I not telling? Stock has always been limited and I am looking for a rear, it's my precious!

Keeping an eye on this thread - I've been running AlexRims SupraBH rims for trail / AM riding. To be honest, they are tough but moer heavy...

Been considering Spank Subrosa's or Oozy's - the Oozy's are a tad lighter and narrower, but received a good review on Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike....ested-2011.html

Just not sure if, considering I weigh in at over 110kg, I shouldn't just go for a heavier duty rim (like the Subrosa) or if something like the Oozy will be tough enough. At least this thread's giving me a few extra options to look at. :thumbup:

What do you guys think?

I will be replacing my Supra BH! Heeaaavvvyyy...

Wes, Subrosa - :thumbup:

The Easton Havens are on special on buycyle at the moment. Cant remember the exact price. Pretty good reviews if you google it. Initial problems with the hubs, but this seems to have been sorted out now.

not the 11k ones surely? The only Havens listed were carbon.. closer to 12k actually but you are right, on special, down from 20k :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I upgraded my wheelset and was initially tempted to get the subrosa rims with hope pro 2 hubs.

Eventually, when I wanted to order they did not have stock of the green rims anymore, so I went with ZTR Flow rims and hope pro 2 hubs. Great wheelset, not looking back one second. Strong, stiff and really not that heavy (if weight bothers you)