Rusted Chain & Cassette

Caerus

Hi Caerus

You must be happy to be back in Durbs!!!!!!!!

The same very thing happened to me coming back from PE. Rain all the way.

I rinse my bike after every ride and I also use/used Squirt. My chain was brown and the cassette was worse than yours after my trip. What I did was brush the cassette with dish soap using a nylon brush. It removed all the surface rust and this is what you seem to have. I used a paint brush and paraffin to clean/coat the cassette after drying. I cleaned the paraffin off using a rag and string wrapped around the cassette moving it to and fro. When it dried I sprayed with Silicone.

The chain I removed and soaked overnight in Clean Green. I agitated it in the morning and brushed it with a toothbrush. Then into an ice cream container with paraffin. More agitation and scrubbing. (I was amazed at how much Squirt type muck still came off, let alone the rust!.) Dried the chain and now I use oil. Never to use squirt again.

The problem never reoccurred

Another way is to just ride the bike with oil and the rust will disappear!

Just ride it...................it is surface rust. I have never seen or heard of a cassette rusting like that (at least not XTR).

That looks like surface rust. It will most likely go away if you wipe it with a oiled rag. The rain just washed the oil off.

I don;t see anything wrong with that cassette apart from a really serious case of OCD.

Possibly w00t.gif , It has now been scrubbed clean again to a degree and lubed , but still has brown spots, not a happy bunny. There was no way I could just ride with it like that. whistling.gif

lube it and ride it...

FYI: on long or rainy trips with the bike on the back of the car, i take my chain off

I agree with Alpina - just lube it and ride.

You will wear-out the drivetrain long before the rust will have a chance to eat it away.

This also happened to me a few times, I guess because these 'new' wax-based lubricants are sometimes wax / water-based opposed to the older type of oil-based lubricants. Just because they are the new flavour. For this reason, I know some guys who only use oil-based lubricants - they believe that oil-based is best.

I would not worry about it - on an MTB the drivetrain is almost considered a consumable item, which needs to be replaced every year.

Cheers,

OK, I'm not going to say it.....

just lube & ride....it will remove the surafce rust in no time...(make sure to go thru all your gear options!!)

PS: that squirt comment....= unfounded.

I was a die hard oil base lube user...till i gave Squirt a try. (must say - proper application is vital, not just squirting it on...)

The 2 weeks of dust in the Cederberg did nothing!! That stuff work amazingly well in dusty environments...any oil based lube would have caused me endless trouble!!

Horses for courses, i'd say....and proper application!!

I can't understand why one bike's chain and cassette did that, and the other not. Both washed and lubed at the same time, just strange.

I think there are rtwo different metal finishes at stake here...the XT is different plating finish than the SRAAM / XTR etc. etc.

rememebred reading somewhere...it's gotto do witht he less weight on the one

Yes Cassie, I have also been told at my bike shop that the only difference between the range of Shimano chains, is the plating used.

Makes no sense to me, but may be the cause of the rust.

Cheers,