scott vs. momsen

Cyclenatic

Hi all, I am looking to buy a frame, what do you think is best value for money between the momsen sl929 or scott scale 29er pro?? Not judging on looks?? Both cost the same

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they both cost the same then they have the same value for money? Although you do have to factor in resale value as well if you want to sell it one day. Have a look at warranty terms as well. In this case I'd say to go with the one that has the geometry that would suit you.

Good question.

Warranty is a good place to start.

Both brands have decent back-up service.

If everything is the same at the end, look at geometry and try to ride the bikes and read as much as possible reviews and what people complain about.

whilst i like the values of the little SA based brand and think VM runs a tight show, I'm a little worried that the pricing is the same,

technically the Momsen should be cheaper.

head would say Scott, heart says Momsen - go for the Momsen and be cheeky and ask for a little discount......

...I'm a little worried that the pricing is the same, technically the Momsen should be cheaper...

I agree, if the Momsem is local it should be cheaper.

Go for the Scott! just because of that.

I agree, if the Momsem is local it should be cheaper.

Go for the Scott! just because of that.

25 year old union members are a tad more expensive than 6 year old kids to hire, and the economies of scale (no pun intended) are in the favour of Scott. I don't think it should necessarily be cheaper because it manufactured locally. We all know that bulk shipping is no longer the enormous cost that it used to be...

Oh yes, ride both and then decide. Buy with your heart, which one will make you want to ride?

Edit - forgot to add on topic comment

Edited by bontie

25 year old union members are a tad more expensive than 6 year old kids to hire, and the economies of scale (no pun intended) are in the favour of Scott. I don't think it should necessarily be cheaper because it manufactured locally. We all know that bulk shipping is no longer the enormous cost that it used to be...

Oh yes, ride both and then decide. Buy with your heart, which one will make you want to ride?

Edit - forgot to add on topic comment

Surely Momsen's aren't made in SA, heck even most of the holy grail (nomore)Morewood's aren't made in Pmb. It's a local brand, but made in the East just like Silverback from P.E. in Deutschland, made in Sjina..

I would go Scott ,because of the tech they put into the frames and product. Momsen is South African yes, but they just like the other privately owned brands in SA ---- to expensive!! Why is it so expensive if it is frame pulled from a shave in china? Scott put alot more effort into theire producrt and they deserve it and i think you will feel it.

Guys how can you compare a custom designed Scott MTB carbon frame with IMP3 technology which incldued the SDS damping system built into the rear stays to an off the shelf carbon frame?? - Firstly saying that the Momsen is the same price as the Scott certainly proves that the Momsen brand is over priced. Scott have a in house carbon engineer and own their own molds as well as their own carbon production facility. This will certinally cost more than the decal designing that has gone into the Momsen frame. Also knowing a little about the carbon frames and the quality control required to tune the carbon lay-up, I know the correct setup required by the carbon engineers requires a huge amount of trial and error with testing and riding - something a chinese owned factory will not do. Oh yes, did I forget to mention - Momsen bikes/frames are not made in SA, Momsen is based in SA and does all the decal designing here.

Guys how can you compare a custom designed Scott MTB carbon frame with IMP3 technology which incldued the SDS damping system built into the rear stays to an off the shelf carbon frame?? - Firstly saying that the Momsen is the same price as the Scott certainly proves that the Momsen brand is over priced. Scott have a in house carbon engineer and own their own molds as well as their own carbon production facility. This will certinally cost more than the decal designing that has gone into the Momsen frame. Also knowing a little about the carbon frames and the quality control required to tune the carbon lay-up, I know the correct setup required by the carbon engineers requires a huge amount of trial and error with testing and riding - something a chinese owned factory will not do. Oh yes, did I forget to mention - Momsen bikes/frames are not made in SA, Momsen is based in SA and does all the decal designing here.

Actually Scott carbon and alu frames are made by Giant....Scott supplies the mould which have patents on them and Giant manufacture them. Thats why Giant is the worlds largest bike manufacturer...they make frames for plenty brands.

I would go for Scott as Sintesi said the R&D Scott put into their bikes is 2nd to none

Hi Sharkie - having some friends in the industry I can confirm 100% that Giant does not make the Scott carbon frames, the Giant factory in Taiwan assembles the bikes but the Scott carbon frames are made in the Carbon factory TTC which is Scott carbon manufacturing facility. Interesting to know that Giant make more money out of assembling bikes for other brands than they do selling their own bikes..