scott vs. momsen

Cyclenatic

Lets assume they cost the same to the cent, you love the look of both bikes and have no allegiance to any brand .... then get out there and ride the flipping frames in question as that is the ultimate factor.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Five posts on the hub of which four was to tell The Hub why not to buy Momsen. Now sure you are entitled to your opinion but to have 80% of your posts devoted to say Momsen is not good clearly says something.

What's your beef?

I don't often like ppl doing what he's doing, but he is basing his opinion on facts as far as I can tell unless what he is saying is incorrect. Are the frames designed and/or manufactured in SA? If not then there is nothing more South African about them than buying through the SA Scott agents... A rebranded Chinese blank should be considerably cheaper than a big branded frame that has development/marketing etc. costs. His name is also Sintesi which coincidentally is another "brand" that just rebrands Chinese blanks so maybe he knows what he is talking about? Momsen just did their marketing better than Sintesi in SA hence people believing they are "proudly South African"... This is all obviously based on the assumption these are rebranded Chinese frames which I might be mistaken about.

Buy a Scott. From recent experience, the Momsen "local brand with local support" is just talk to get the brand in the market.

My Momsen SL929 frame cracked just below the seatpost clamp. The break spiraled down the inside of the seat tube. Sent it via the LBS to Momsen and the response from them was that I must have clamped the frame in my workstand without the post in the seat tube and thus not a valid warranty claim. I should take the frame to a carbon expert to fix it for me.

When querying numerous time directly on what basis did they arrive at this conclusion I was just ignored. I am still waiting for a response from them.

I took the frame to a carbon expert and the break is so bad that the only way of fixing it is to fuse a carbon post in there and make it "integrated". It should last a couple of months.

So in my opinion, spend your money on something else.

Buy a Scott. From recent experience, the Momsen "local brand with local support" is just talk to get the brand in the market.

My Momsen SL929 frame cracked just below the seatpost clamp. The break spiraled down the inside of the seat tube. Sent it via the LBS to Momsen and the response from them was that I must have clamped the frame in my workstand without the post in the seat tube and thus not a valid warranty claim. I should take the frame to a carbon expert to fix it for me.

When querying numerous time directly on what basis did they arrive at this conclusion I was just ignored. I am still waiting for a response from them.

I took the frame to a carbon expert and the break is so bad that the only way of fixing it is to fuse a carbon post in there and make it "integrated". It should last a couple of months.

So in my opinion, spend your money on something else.

Wow, I just bought a 2nd hand Scott Scale 26" frame, and have to say so far its awesome. Isn't carbon supposed to be at least 25% stronger than Aluminium? I saw a vid from Santa Cruz the other day testing frames - and this was definitely the case.

So I am not sure how a manufacturer can claim that you clamped it too tight...balls.

And the Scott frames are lighter than the Momsen ones, and they design their own decals :)

This is the video below, very interesting:

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Five posts on the hub of which four was to tell The Hub why not to buy Momsen. Now sure you are entitled to your opinion but to have 80% of your posts devoted to say Momsen is not good clearly says something.

What's your beef?

Looks like a friend of Pro-bike.