scott vs. momsen

Cyclenatic

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely Momsen's aren't made in SA, heck even most of the holy grail (nomore)Morewood's aren't made in Pmb. It's a local brand, but made in the East just like Silverback from P.E. in Deutschland, made in Sjina..

Momsen is based in PE but bikes are made in the East.I would say get hold of Victor and see what price he will give you on the frame.

My uncle recently cracked his Scott Scale RC 26" frame and they had no issues replacing it and it was done very quickly at that, even through a non-scott dealer where he bought it as well. So my vote would go to Scott.

I had enless issues getting a replacement frame of my GT Zaskar so aftersales is NB to me. Otherwise you might as well buy 2nd hand or online....

Hi Speedy,

Just to throw in another option, we will have the new Rapidé Evolution29 carbon 29er frame in stock around about the 8th of February, all the features of the big brands, but quite a bit cheaper as we sell direct (we are a South African brand as well).

The Rapidé Evolution29 frame is around 1200 grams (depending on size) and will go for R7600 including headset and seat clamp. Warrantee is 2 years.

All the info (minus picture!) is here: http://www.rapide.co.za/pRAPIDE%20EVOLUTION29/Rapid%C3%A9-Evolution29.aspx

Guys how can you compare a custom designed Scott MTB carbon frame with IMP3 technology which incldued the SDS damping system built into the rear stays to an off the shelf carbon frame?? - Firstly saying that the Momsen is the same price as the Scott certainly proves that the Momsen brand is over priced. Scott have a in house carbon engineer and own their own molds as well as their own carbon production facility. This will certinally cost more than the decal designing that has gone into the Momsen frame. Also knowing a little about the carbon frames and the quality control required to tune the carbon lay-up, I know the correct setup required by the carbon engineers requires a huge amount of trial and error with testing and riding - something a chinese owned factory will not do. Oh yes, did I forget to mention - Momsen bikes/frames are not made in SA, Momsen is based in SA and does all the decal designing here.

Five posts on the hub of which four was to tell The Hub why not to buy Momsen. Now sure you are entitled to your opinion but to have 80% of your posts devoted to say Momsen is not good clearly says something.

What's your beef?

what about something else to consider, whats the weight of both the frames? also maybe ride both the bikes with that frame and see which geometry you like best, Scott i feel has a very harsh race geometry, maybe the momsens are a little more relaxed.

also maybe bargain with the okes, ask what price they can do if you pay cash...

Hey Kiwi

Pls put some pics on the website of the Evolution29.

Tx

Hi 29er Fan,

We'll have to take some new pics to post of the Evolution29 when they arrive shortly, I've only got pics of the unfinished frames at the moment.

Ride both bikes on same terrain see what suits your riding style

put both frames on the scale

Then decide

• 2 months later...

Scott Factory info I found:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/scott-sports-opens-new-carbon-factory-in-china/010052

Scott Sports is to start making all of their carbon frames and forks in a new production plant in South East China.

The new factory is a 6000 square metre facility which is currently transitioning from a four month testing phase into its production phase. The first product produced during the testing phase of the factory was the aero road bike, the Scott F01.

The F01 was ridden in the 2010 Tour de France and is intended to reach the market in 2011.

The new factory is equipped with automatic and computer-aided molding, new CNC trimming equipment, electronic visual sensors, computer aided structure analysis system and a fully automatic vacuum system painting facility. All products are constantly tested using in-house EFBE testing equipment.

Pascal Ducrot, Vice President of Scott Sports, said: “Together with our long-term Asian manufacturing partner, we have been working for quite a while to make this happen, and now the timing is perfect to fulfil the increasing demand for our first class carbon products.

Article continues below

"This is a calculated decision to open our new plant in Asia and it is because we can count on the production experience of our long-term partner. In addition, we have built a solid foundation regarding production methods and have created sound technologies over the last few years with our partner.

"Lightweight and innovative products like the new Scale and Addict or extremely aero bikes such as Plasma or F01 must be produced in a state of the art plant. It takes a lot of know-how from the factories and their employees in order to build products like these."

It is difficult to say, for me it is most important if you break the frame tomorrow, who will replace sooner? Any contacts available?

I hate to wait for months for frame replacement !!!!

I don't know much but from what I've read about the Momsen and the Scott brands, I would definitely go for the Scott.