2012 Tour of Durban Road race

The Big Bad Norm

Thanks StuB :)

Glad to hear it's still on.

Now to start training :S been slacking since i wasn't sure what was happening with this race.

:)

You and me both, wonder if I remember how to ride a bike

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still takes me to a Russian site too.. Haha..

I'm keen to drive down from JHB and do both the races..

Edited by Fruity

Here's an interesting one - the website lists the MTB on the 27th April (Friday the public holiday), and the road on the 29th (Sunday) - we normally drove down especially to do both races back-to-back (good Sani training!) and also for a bit of a break. If the MTB race is on the 27th, then it means I must take an extra days leave and drive down on the Thursday, to hopefully register in time for the race on the Friday. Not sure if this is such a good option anymore..... pity.....

Hi Everyone. Thanks for your comments and feedback. Some of you have kindly sent us print screens of the errors your're experiencing, and our IT guys are sorting it out as we speak.

With regards to routes, please feel free to mail me directly and i can send you KMZ Google Earth files of the road and MTB routes. They are 95% confirmed. Once 100% confirmed, we'll load these onto the website as well.

We have had a 1 day delay on the entries opening up, and they should be live and working come tomorrow 12h00 midday.

Thanks for your understanding, and we look forward to staging a great event for all of you in 2012.

Hi Everyone. Thanks for your comments and feedback. Some of you have kindly sent us print screens of the errors your're experiencing, and our IT guys are sorting it out as we speak.

With regards to routes, please feel free to mail me directly and i can send you KMZ Google Earth files of the road and MTB routes. They are 95% confirmed. Once 100% confirmed, we'll load these onto the website as well.

We have had a 1 day delay on the entries opening up, and they should be live and working come tomorrow 12h00 midday.

Thanks for your understanding, and we look forward to staging a great event for all of you in 2012.

Another question...

You mention that if we want to be timed, we must bring our timing chips to registration. Ummm what chips are you using? Racetec, Championshit or another brand?

Here's an interesting one - the website lists the MTB on the 27th April (Friday the public holiday), and the road on the 29th (Sunday) - we normally drove down especially to do both races back-to-back (good Sani training!) and also for a bit of a break. If the MTB race is on the 27th, then it means I must take an extra days leave and drive down on the Thursday, to hopefully register in time for the race on the Friday. Not sure if this is such a good option anymore..... pity.....

Hi Andymann, Unfortunately, we couldn't get access to the Tongaat Hulett areas as they are harvesting at this time but they very kindly allowed us to make use of the Friday public holiday for the event. We know it's not ideal but there are a lot of positives as well. Ride Friday, watch the crit Friday evening with the family, lie in Saturday and then do what the family wants and score some valuable points. Then you can race Sunday with a clear conscience and finally relax on the Monday.

@ robinh - Ya, it's not that bad at all. I've cycled from Umhlanga to uShaka and back a few times. Take a ride up this side one weekend, you see tons of cyclist on the road in the Durban north and Umhlanga area. If you plan on cycling on the M4 then go early morning and if you plan on cycling up to Ballito then best to have someone follow you...road not so great from Umdloti to Ballito.

The road from Umdloti to Ballito is fine. I cycle it at least once a week normally more. It gets a bit busy during peak times but if you're done by 7 on week days and 830/9 on weekends you'll be fine.

Careful with the link - I clicked on it and it caused my Symantic to go balistic :( Installed malware on my work pc. Suffice to say IT is very stoked me..

Hi Andymann, Unfortunately, we couldn't get access to the Tongaat Hulett areas as they are harvesting at this time but they very kindly allowed us to make use of the Friday public holiday for the event. We know it's not ideal but there are a lot of positives as well. Ride Friday, watch the crit Friday evening with the family, lie in Saturday and then do what the family wants and score some valuable points. Then you can race Sunday with a clear conscience and finally relax on the Monday.

- No worries - the weekend was awesome last year, so I reckoned there must have been a good reason to move the race. Thing is, to leave Jhb at 16:00 on a Thursday and fight the masses down to Durbs means we will only realistically arrive after eleven that night. To do a MTB race the following morning might be a bit much...family will grumble!!!!

TDB has been moved up country, they are now using this as a "Roving Tour" picking different areas each year. I think it's held in Nelspruit this year.

If Tarmacs Revenge is correct and it's not been held here I guess you cannot really call it Tour of Durban :)

TdD- Here we go again! Bet the "Sponsors" pull out again this year. What a shambles and it looks like it is repeating itself this year. Bloody dog show so far............

I think you guys are confusing the Tour de Boland that was supposed to be held in... the Boland, and the Tour de Durban that is still being hosted in that province.

Wow!!! After a long, tedious and somewhat frustrating exercise, the Tour Durban webpage is active and entries are open. While you probably couldn't care less what happens behind the scenes, things were pretty interesting for a while.

Building from last year, this national classic is destined to grow with the crit, mtb and the signature road race preparations going well. It would be great to see a good Gauteng/Vaal triangle and Bloemfontein area support for this event.

Go to www.tourdurban.co.za for full details

Anyone done the mountain bike race?

Whats the 45km route like?

Can't decide if I want to do the 20km or the 45km...