2012 Tour of Durban Road race

The Big Bad Norm

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 12 km at around 4-5%, the problem is going back down on the other side, so not too bad. You need to watch the lactic build-up...otherwise the last 50 km is suffer central, even though it is fairly flat.

nice race, wish to do it soon again

The 'incline' to Pinetown? How much of a suffer fest?
About 12 km at around 4-5%, the problem is going back down on the other side, so not too bad. You need to watch the lactic build-up...otherwise the last 50 km is suffer central, even though it is fairly flat.

Google Earth mentions >400m of climbing on that section. Hopefully GE is 'optimistic' as ususal :)

really wanted to do this race but wife has a "can't cancel" do on the saturday ! ;(

so what is stopping you from not going? :whistling:

Google Earth mentions >400m of climbing on that section. Hopefully GE is 'optimistic' as ususal :)

Garmin pegged it at 389m, but it is over 12km, so if you manage yourself it is not a disaster...

I really want(ed) to do this race, but the open bunch is referred to the social bunch. Only one mass start for them, no seeded starts. I am not going to risk bones, life & limb with a mass start like that. Also received an answer w.r.t. this too late to enter in the age categories. :(

So, not going to cart my bike down to Durbs to place my wellbeing in the hands of others.

No Tour of Durban for me then. :( :(

Edited by heman

I really want(ed) to do this race, but the open bunch is referred to the social bunch. Only one mass start for them, no seeded starts. I am not going to risk bones, life & limb with a mass start like that. Also received an answer w.r.t. this too late to enter in the age categories. :(

So, not going to cart my bike down to Durbs to place my wellbeing in the hands of others.

No Tour of Durban for me then. :( :(

It is not nearly as crowded as the Argus, if that is your frame of reference for "social bunch" the whole race is done on wide roads and freeways, so no pinch points like Boyes drive etc.

I'm not really worried about the real back markers, more concerned about bunches, and bunch riding although "incline" early in the race will sort out most (myself included). I just do not want to be boxed in by 500+ riders going helter-skelter for 15km (and 15km only), making it dangerous for everybody else.

I'm a bit of a 'bangbroek", do not want to take necessary risks :blush: Not used to this whole "social bunch" idea. Riding A (if I need a reality check) / B (nice fast ride) up north. If I'm going for a 'social ride' instead of paying good money to go fast, I'd rather go ride with C/Lab on Saturday