What's up with my Ritchey Pro Carbon Seatpost?

capeofstorms

This is my 3rd ride out with this seatpost and on every occassion the saddle ended up pointing upwards.

Very frustrated about this and I'm thinking of ditching it. Any solutions?

Also what are you thoughts on carbon and alu seatposts? Which carbon seatpost is preferable. I has a Thomson Elite seatpost before with zero issues.

Edited by capeofstorms

I think this is because your saddle bolts are not tightened properly and so when you shift backwards it points up.

When you are not riding can you tilt the saddle up and down?

Not sure what you mean here - the saddle pointing upwards?

Yep saddle pointing upwards. I've tightened the bolts as tight as can be and still it points upwards after riding for a while. Just tightened again. Tried to tilt the saddle by applying pressure with my hands to front and back and NO TILT. Will go out again and see if the problem persists

I will not buy a seatpost with 1 bolt or two sitting next to each other. My seatposts must have one at the front and one at the back. Like the Thomson.

I have a Easton EC70 with the mentioned bolt placement. No problems. A Thomson on my other bike.

Thomson or nothing. I have a 410 length 31.6mm diameter spare if you are looking for one...PM me if you're keen.

I only ride Thomson,they are a little heavy but they are strong.I have never had a seat move on my road or mtb.

Possibly the bolt has stretched?

Crown Cycles got mine right after no other bike shops could. You simply need to torque it properly but none could do this it would seem.

I tried one of these (sourced off The Hub) - had the same problem. If yours is anything like mine, its badly designed in the section where the bolts holds the rocking base for the saddle - despite tightening (to the point of destruction) and carbon paste, mine kept heading south as well. Gave it up as a bad job, maybe I will recycle the carbon tube it in some way, so its no total waste. Although it almost got chucked away.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=299420

I see the two bolts, but what prevents it from shifting forward and backwards?Yes the two bolt system clamps the rails better but is there a third single screw that adjusts the nose up and down position?

I have an 'old school' seat post that just has one central bolt that clamps the top plate as well as seats the saddle with the nose parallel with the top tube - mission to calibrate correctly but I don't see this on this seat post.

From the sounds of it, it seems this seat post is a 'dud' design although Ritchey claim otherwise - Proven 2-bolt design provides a class-leading balance between strength, weight and adjustability.

Check that the saddle clamp mechanism is positioned correctly.

I remember experiencing a similar problem with an EC70.

Turned out the "teeth" of the clamp/post wasn't interlocking properly.