Bargain or Waste?

Corrie21

Hey all,

You might remember me from the "35 y/o Beginner" Topic.

Anyway, I went around looking for bikes and came across a "Huffy" Dual Suspension at Mr Price Sports in Atterbury Value Mart (Pta)

It looks like a decent bike and for R2499, doesn't look like a bad buy. BUT, and there will always be a but, I have never seen the name, and have never heard of anyone riding it

SO, my question to you serious hubbers, "Is it a bargain or a waste"

C21

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen those too. They are pretty heavy and I'm not sure how it will ride, but I'm guessing it won't be very nice. Saying that, a cheap bike isn't always bad. A few weeks ago I borrowed someone's 'cheap' hardtail (an oldSchwinn Mesa) and it was lots of fun to ride.

Hey all,

Anyway, I went around looking for bikes and came across a "Huffy" Dual Suspension at Mr Price Sports in Atterbury Value Mart (Pta)

It looks like a decent bike and for R2499, doesn't look like a bad buy. BUT, and there will always be a but, I have never seen the name, and have never heard of anyone riding it

C21

That has to be the oxymoron of the year! I can absolutely assure you that this bike will be a piece of junk.

WASTE

Thanks Rob

Seeing that I'm a beginner with a ' don't know everything like you" knowledge on these things, I thought I would ask "Professionals" like you, but obviously was mistaken that there are people on TheHub who would help when I need help.

Apologies for me being so naive

Kind Regards

Oxymoron

You can't get a half decent bike for R2499. I wouldn't even put my parents on a R5000 bike. Huffy is huge in the USA, but I am sure this is no more than a sticker. Much like the SA's version of Raleigh have nothing in common with the UK Raleigh's. Save your money. It will be a tank, and it will break/bend very soon. Have a look at these rather: http://www.axis-bikes.com/bikes/mtb-hardtail

Hey all,

C21

Dude.

Huffy have been around since your Grandpa's Grandpa.

My first 2 wheel bike was a red Huffy Dragster. :D

Just remember. You get what you pay for. R2499.00 ain't much pay for.

:excl:

Its fine to start with, but most likely you will enjoy the experience, have fun with your friends, start feeling fitter and better about yourself, and an upgrade will feel like an irresistable urge.

Selling your huffy may be difficult, so most likely you will be writing off the R2400 as a startup cost, and then spend a lot more on what you feel you really need.

You will be waisting in the LOOONG run.

Now it is cheap and "half" OK.

Ride on a dirt doad (not even racing hard), and in a few weeks you will start breaking spokes.

Then fix and true the wheel.

That will KEEP ON happening.

Then, in a month or two from now, the BB will bo.

Then in a mont or so from that the hubs will be shot, and wou will have to buils new wheels.

And it will go on and on like that.

So, pay double that (still not a lot for a MTB), and it will at least last you a year or two before the real expenses start again.

Good luck

Hey all,

C21

ignore the bike snobs, it wasn't a bad question and you clearly labeled your naivety as such.

did you try picking it up?!

don't be fooled by dual suspension. there's a separate category of bikes called 'makro bikes', and are the ones sold by hypermarkets. they are generally total crap, but sell loads of units as they are quite cheap. they have pogo stick rear suspension which is uber crap.

if you actually took it off road, there's a good chance you'd have 5 things broken within a month, with replacement parts equal to about the sales price at a decent bike store.

so what's the difference, how do you spot it?

gears is a good starter.

10 speed...that's the bees knees, costs a bomb however

9 speed..still awesome, nothing wrong with this

8 speed...this is starting to get shaky

7 speed..el dodgious crap

also if it says shimano, it's probably reliable to a degree.

there really is nothing between total crap, and something half decent...recently launched axis bikes look like they might be filling that with their basement bike.