Boulders on Boyes drive

Cippo

So there were about 10 boulders that rolled down the mountain onto Boyes drive overnight closing it. It was reopened again by this morning. I wonder if this is going to be a safety concern for Cycle tour or was this an isolated incident. Can we possibly be looking at Ou Kaapse weg as an option again for this year. What do you hubbers say?

http://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/boulders-block-boyes-1.1219079

Edited by Super Mario

you're suggesting sending everyone up the steep side of ou kaapse? watch the classifieds, there'll be a lot of people selling their entries!

Edited by the (other) Nuge

you're suggesting sending everyone up the steep side of ou kaapse? watch the classifieds, there'll be a lot of people selling their entries!

Just a thought, I'm not trying to jinx it but anything is possible. Could just have been the rain we had last night. Would be a bummer though if we had to do Ou Kaapse weg.

Tend to think OuKaapse Weg is a lot safer than that narrow twisty Boyes Drive... even if it is a lot steeper... but at least it is reasonably short...

This rockfall has been in the post for ages. If it's the rock I'm thinking of, I've often wondered when it would come down and whose house it would land on. There has been a 20-30 foot high slice of cliff that has cracked away from the mountainside and is / was hanging on by a thread at the base.

This rockfall has been in the post for ages. If it's the rock I'm thinking of, I've often wondered when it would come down and whose house it would land on. There has been a 20-30 foot high slice of cliff that has cracked away from the mountainside and is / was hanging on by a thread at the base.

It was in Cape Argus late final today.

I wonder if we can go back to old route because the main road is nearly done and they just need final premix, then done.. We can aim sub 2hr 45mins.... :clap:

umm, ja, there are a few rockfalls now and then in that part of the mountain. one mahassive one landed in a living room last year. Will have a look now and see where it fell from, could be from a fire, or from near the old quarrie or just rocks falling off as they do over time.

immediately thought it might have been from bailey's kloof as there was a fire there about two weeks ago. near the sharkspotter's hokkie.

but there was another fire even closer to old boyes drive in december, what often happens is that the fire kills the vegetation, whent he next big rainstorm comes there's nothing to stop the erosion and then you can't get no satifsaction.

It was in Cape Argus late final today.

'in the post' = turn of phrase. The rocks over Westlake end have been hanging by a thread for ages. 10 to 1 it's those ones which came down. I will look at 5.30 and report back.

I wonder if we can go back to old route because the main road is nearly done and they just need final premix, then done.. We can aim sub 2hr 45mins.... :clap:

That would be nice but I think the main road will be worked on for another year at the very least - they still have to get to Clovelly corner. At the current rate of about 1km per year, factor in the bend in the road, additional traffic from Boyes Drive.. you see where I am going with this.

Now that sounds like a good idea. + 1

That would be nice but I think the main road will be worked on for another year at the very least - they still have to get to Clovelly corner. At the current rate of about 1km per year, factor in the bend in the road, additional traffic from Boyes Drive.. you see where I am going with this.

We need to tell Contractor to finish off the surface of the road before the Argus and start last part of the road after the Argus. This makes sense!! We can bribe the Contractor like the governments..... :oops:

We need to tell Contractor to finish off the surface of the road before the Argus and start last part of the road after the Argus. This makes sense!! We can bribe the Contractor like the governments..... :oops:

although i applaud your entrepreneurial skill, just remember: the longer it takes, the longer you're employed!

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the original project timeline was about 2 years when they started. i presume as they began excavating and uncovering the extent of the degradation that had occurred under the road surface that they found that a lot more work was required than orginally envisioned.

although i applaud your entrepreneurial skill, just remember: the longer it takes, the longer you're employed!

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the original project timeline was about 2 years when they started. i presume as they began excavating and uncovering the extent of the degradation that had occurred under the road surface that they found that a lot more work was required than orginally envisioned.

ja i remember that being the original timeline...they have all this really fancy roadworks equipment just sitting in the southeaster picking up some fresh salty air

word is that the contractor is seeing his(collective) gat on this one.