Who to blame: LBS or myself?

Fatsmoker

I had two bikes on a Thule bike holder and did more than 4000km with them (on the back of the car) this December and January.

On Tuesday I take the GT to the LBS for a service and I ask them to replace the pedals.

They phone me this morning and say they are still not done, can I just come in a bit later? So I do; I take the bike and I drive home. Only to find this:

post-25263-0-85893100-1327487326.jpg

I mean WTF? I'm normally quite observant and spot the smallest scratch on my car when my wife dings it.

So I phone the LBS and they say bring it in, they'll fix it. My only concern is that I may have caused the damage myself. Does this look like something that can happen in a workshop?

That could be from the bike rack, that said, if the bike shop said "please bring it in, we'll fix it" they might have done it themselves. Bit of a grey area here.

it looks like major chafing from a flatfile/rasp or something very rough being dragged over the shifter / attachment bolt/bracket.

I use Thule and their rack dont allow this sort of rough movement nor do they attach anywhere near to what you show.

Also, hard to do that by hand when cycling through normal wear and tear imo. Must have been something done by a vandal when you were parked somewhere, or LBS.

The place where my bike got the most dammage was on a bike rack and not while riding. Just my 2c

That looks like contact wear to me .... but cant say for sure.

Sometimes these things kinda happen without knowing how, like yesterday I notice a scratch all the way down the side of my car, no idea how that happened, I am normally very careful. Would like to blame Mr Parking but didn't check it closely enough during the hand over (being the trusting type I am)

post-7672-0-91924500-1327488370.jpg

This looks like something was chafing there.

That could be from where it rubbed up against the other bike. Check to see if the other bike does not have superficial damage to it somewhere. Or you can put the two bikes on the rack again(as you had them) and see if it did not rub up against each other

agree, can't see how the lbs could have cause that kind of damage - R4k km on a rack - could easily have happened then...

Check to see if the other bike does not have superficial damage to it somewhere.

This would be the dead give away - good idea :clap:

Edited by DJR

That doesn't look like damage from a once-off incident - looks like someone took a file to it. I'd also lean towards damage on the bike rack, but with that amount of rubbing the other bike should have clear signs of damage as well. Strange...

agree, can't see how the lbs could have cause that kind of damage - R4k km on a rack - could easily have happened then...

Almost 100% sure that was from your other bike....specifically the handle bar / Brake area...

Kudo's to LBS to want to investigate the issue...not just flatly denying it...