New Tires

leet22

yeah... But even when "dry" the soil in durbs is still kinda loamy, so retains a bit of moisture. You still need aggressive knobs, and an all-rounder would be something along the lines of what I have on the XC bike - a Wolverine at the back and Weirwolf at the front.

Wolverine has good rolling resistance, but still loads of grip for a rear tire. Weirwolf is a magnificent tyre at the front...

OK cool, are these available locally? was hoping to get something this weekend. Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You getting them from CRC or locally?

CRC got a few other things with a friend as well.

Buying a "protection" vest as well, not full DH armour just something to give the chest a bit of protection. and some cool knee pads from the states :)

OK cool, are these available locally? was hoping to get something this weekend. Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Wolverine yes. Weirwolf no.

I had to get the Weirwolf from CRC. WTB SA stopped bringing them in in favour of the Bronson, which is a different tyre (but still good, as far as I've read)

Just go CRC, guy...

CRC got a few other things with a friend as well.

Buying a "protection" vest as well, not full DH armour just something to give the chest a bit of protection. and some cool knee pads from the states :)

Coolios. Ja jeesh, you really struggle to get HR's and Minions in SA. Maxxis in SA doesn't really seem to cater very well for the AM market.

Please post what you end up getting dude. I Bought a set of Conti Mtn King 2.4 Supersonics (Buycycle had a special - R499 for 2) so going to use one on the front but still don't know what to get for the rear. Got small block 8's so I guess anything would be better than that!!

I see easybike are having tyre specials atm...

came from action:

they have

Minions, 2.5 ST DH

High rollers 2.5 / 2.3 ST DH

High roller 2.5 ST FR (single ply)

High roller 2.1 XC

and some other random stuff like xmarks and all that.

No weirwolfs.

Edited by Capricorn

Leet: weirwolfs aside, if you want grip, go with the minion up front, high roller at the back. ST or 3c. 2.5 wide, or if u can find em, 2.35 wide. You wont be sorry.

As an aside after some riding this past weekend on the XC whip, I think i've found my peace with the Kenda Nevegal. Yes, they slippery as hell, but I've always maintained that for reach rider and his chosen tire, there is a combination of tread pattern, tire compound, terrain, tire pressure, rider weight and riding style, and suspension setting that will optimise the riding experience.

I think i've found it with those neveragaingals. Most however, dont have the time or inclination to figure it out, and I'm one of those very tempted to rip that crap off my rims and burn it.

You won't find the weirwolf anywhere in sa. Trust me, I looked high n low. They're not bringing em in anymore.

And yeah. Minion is the biz

Try Craig at

GetafixCycles craig@getafixcycles.com he was looking to get some of these in [Weirwolf]

Edited by ramsew

I'm now leaning towards the Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25, with Snakeskin. Its a tubeless ready tyre, http://www.buycycle.co.za/buyparts/tyres-mtb/schwalbe/schwalbe-nobby-nic-snakeskin-26x2.25-schwalbe.html.

Does anyone have any experience with these tyres, it got good reveiws on MTBr and Bikeradar. It was just the price that gets people. Does the snakeskin sidewall protection actually work?

I want to use this as a front tyre.

My other option so far is a Mountain King Protection or the X- King Protection, both would be Non-Ust tyres. Any feedback on wither of these two choices.

I would love to try that Weirwolf, but I don't want to have to order just a tyre from CRC.