New to the sport - what do I need

Michael Labuschagne

Hey all,

I've been a competitive open water swimmer for 10 years now looking to expand a little and maybe do some xterra events etc...

I need to get a mountain bike so point me in the right direction...

1. Mountain bike (not sure what to budget but R3k or less would b good for me)

2. Helmet

3. Gloves

4. Cycling shorts

5. Sunglasses

6. Shoes (what shoes and how and etc etc - are they all standard with cleets that fit on the pedals or what)

7. Bike rack for my car

What else? I wanna get into this but it seems like it's going to cost a fortune - this coming from swimming where full kit would cost R1.5k)

Advice, ideas etc

How do I start training, where are good places for trail riding, should I go spinning at gym a few times a week to get my muscles used to it in the mean time?

I'm a complete and clueless novice - any help will b appreciated

Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just buy the bike and a helmet, the rest will follow, I started (and still do sometimes) riding in rugby shorts with old T shirts and takkies.

No need for the fancier stuff till you can afford it.

As for a bike rack for your car, its your choice, I just take the wheels off my bike and chuck it in the back of my Polo (on top of an old blanket).

A large bank account and no conscience when you have to lie about cycling related purchases. :whistling:

A speedo and goggles cost R1500? :eek:

Edited by Caerus

Welcome to the sport - it can be expensive, but only if you let it. You can enjoy it just as much on basic kit

1. Mountain bike (not sure what to budget but R3k or less would b good for me)

If you're looking new at that price you won't find huge range, but there are a few with reasonable spec. My girlfriend got a Giant Ovation hard tail for just over R3k. Spec is pretty good for that price, not fancy, but more than enough It's a decent ride - in fact I often ride it myself.

Second hand you'll get more, but it'll have some wear - subscribe to the Classified forums here. My bro in law got a lovely Scott hardtail for around R3k - really nice ride with good spec components.

2. Helmet

Anything that fits well, you can get a bargain on and don't look too much of a d**k in. My take is that more expensive helmets are more about style, fit, airflow. Not convinced they offer that much more protection (waiting for the flames to begin on that opinion ;)

3. Gloves

My advice would be go full finger until you pick up some skills - my hands took a pasting first few rides.

4. Cycling shorts

Shorts and Jerseys I like the First Ascent range - nice and comfy and often seem to be on sale. Having said that, I just picked up a couple of Big Tree jerseys on bargain rack for R150 each - very happy.

5. Sunglasses

I hardly ever wear them on MTB. Peak of helmet shades most glare, and when you head into the woods the sunglasses stop me seeing roots, rocks and my line. First few rides I took them with, but they always ended up in my pocket or lost because they fell off my helmet.

If you do a lot of open/dusty trails - go to Dischem and get a cheap pair that don't look to c**p. It's only roadies that care what your shades look like ;) (I also ride road bikes - so am one of those some days).

6. Shoes (what shoes and how and etc etc - are they all standard with cleets that fit on the pedals or what)

I'd reckon trip to LBS (local bike shop) is your best bet to see what entry level models they have - and haggle a bit. Mine here is often similar price to web with some haggling. I'm always wary to buy shoes/clothing on the web because of wanting a good fit.

7. Bike rack for my car

They can get very pricey - my towball one was R4k odd. If you have a hatchback, you can possible avoid it for a while - wheels pop off quick and easy and a MTB will squeeze in some surprisingly small cars. Buy the rack when you get fed up of the faff. Better still - ride to the start of your trails ... you'll get tough/fit quicker ;)

What else?

Most important in my book would be:

* lack of hydration can really kill your enjoyment - at least 1 bottle cage and bottle on bike (if you're buying new they should throw that in). One is never enough for me, and I don't like 2 on my MTB so I use a camelpak as well - bottle on bike is energy drink, pak is cold water

* spare inner tube and levers, plus a pump. Many guys use CO2 canisters, work great but you have an ongoing cost each puncture.

* Small multi tool with allen keys - if you ride with buddies, borrow there's when needed and stick this on your birthday gift list, perfect pressie. Same goes for pump if you always with someone who has one

* small saddle bag if you don't go for camelpak to hold the tube, etc

How do I start training, where are good places for trail riding, should I go spinning at gym a few times a week to get my muscles used to it in the mean time?

Post back with where you are - I know some rides around Somerset West. Nowhere else though but others on here for sure will.

I'm a complete and clueless novice - any help will b appreciated

We all started there - only thing that counts is to get out and enjoy

Edited by walkerr

Welcome to the sport my man! I will be frank, a budget of R3k will not buy you a competitive bike, unless you buy 2nd hand and land yourself a bargain. Try and increase your capabilities finacially and look for something in the range of R8k and up. A R3k bike is a recreational one that will weigh you down in races. The rest of the kit is roughly estimated as follows for entry to acceptable level stuff: helmet - R250 to R500, gloves - R100 to R150, shades - R500 to R1000, shorts - R350 to R500, jersey - R250 to R450, shoes - R650 to R1000, bike rack - R1000 to R1500. Good luck! :thumbup:

Welcome to the sport my man! I will be frank, a budget of R3k will not buy you a competitive bike,

Fair point there, I'd missed the "competitive" aspect when reading the post initially. Having said that, if you can get tough enough to be competitive and dish out the hurt on a R3k bike you're going to have some serious bragging rights and p**s of some riders on lovely expensive carbon frames ....

I competed in tri events for over 5 years on a Trek 4300 (bought brand new for R3200 at the time). The bike was pretty low entry level but manage to survive all the punishment that I’ve put it through and I usually ended up in the 1st quarter of the field. That being said, I’ve upgraded to a better bike and I can tell you that the “tools” you use definitely make a huge difference! IMO, either look for a good second hand bike or save until you can afford something better. That is if you are serious about being competitive.

A large bank account and no conscience when you have to lie about cycling related purchases. :whistling:

A speedo and goggles cost R1500? :eek:

Hahaahaha ROFL

Speedo R200, Goggles + Spares R600, Kick board R200, Paddles R 350, Pull Buoy R150 plus other extras you can get ... Speed suits can cost up to R5000 but still miles cheaper than top of the line bike kits I see

The best advice I never got is to spend R200 more initially and buy a bib instead of normal cycling shorts. The first time you put it on you might look like Borat to yourself in the mirror, but you get used to it. There's nothing worse than cycling shorts pulling down and shirt riding up, exposing a nice piece of back/crack! And the padding never stays where it is intended and needed....

1. Mountain bike - without training wheels (not sure what to budget but R3k or less would b good for me)

there fixed :)

3K? Hmmm, I saw shelf packers unboxing a whole shipment of awesome bikes at... please insert more cash for the answer.

Welcome to the sport - it can be expensive, but only if you let it. You can enjoy it just as much on basic kit 1. Mountain bike (not sure what to budget but R3k or less would b good for me) If you're looking new at that price you won't find huge range, but there are a few with reasonable spec. My girlfriend got a Giant Ovation hard tail for just over R3k. Spec is pretty good for that price, not fancy, but more than enough It's a decent ride - in fact I often ride it myself. Second hand you'll get more, but it'll have some wear - subscribe to the Classified forums here. My bro in law got a lovely Scott hardtail for around R3k - really nice ride with good spec components. 2. Helmet Anything that fits well, you can get a bargain on and don't look too much of a d**k in. My take is that more expensive helmets are more about style, fit, airflow. Not convinced they offer that much more protection (waiting for the flames to begin on that opinion ;) 3. Gloves My advice would be go full finger until you pick up some skills - my hands took a pasting first few rides. 4. Cycling shorts Shorts and Jerseys I like the First Ascent range - nice and comfy and often seem to be on sale. Having said that, I just picked up a couple of Big Tree jerseys on bargain rack for R150 each - very happy. 5. Sunglasses I hardly ever wear them on MTB. Peak of helmet shades most glare, and when you head into the woods the sunglasses stop me seeing roots, rocks and my line. First few rides I took them with, but they always ended up in my pocket or lost because they fell off my helmet. If you do a lot of open/dusty trails - go to Dischem and get a cheap pair that don't look to c**p. It's only roadies that care what your shades look like ;) (I also ride road bikes - so am one of those some days). 6. Shoes (what shoes and how and etc etc - are they all standard with cleets that fit on the pedals or what) I'd reckon trip to LBS (local bike shop) is your best bet to see what entry level models they have - and haggle a bit. Mine here is often similar price to web with some haggling. I'm always wary to buy shoes/clothing on the web because of wanting a good fit. 7. Bike rack for my car They can get very pricey - my towball one was R4k odd. If you have a hatchback, you can possible avoid it for a while - wheels pop off quick and easy and a MTB will squeeze in some surprisingly small cars. Buy the rack when you get fed up of the faff. Better still - ride to the start of your trails ... you'll get tough/fit quicker ;) What else? Most important in my book would be: * lack of hydration can really kill your enjoyment - at least 1 bottle cage and bottle on bike (if you're buying new they should throw that in). One is never enough for me, and I don't like 2 on my MTB so I use a camelpak as well - bottle on bike is energy drink, pak is cold water * spare inner tube and levers, plus a pump. Many guys use CO2 canisters, work great but you have an ongoing cost each puncture. * Small multi tool with allen keys - if you ride with buddies, borrow there's when needed and stick this on your birthday gift list, perfect pressie. Same goes for pump if you always with someone who has one * small saddle bag if you don't go for camelpak to hold the tube, etc How do I start training, where are good places for trail riding, should I go spinning at gym a few times a week to get my muscles used to it in the mean time? Post back with where you are - I know some rides around Somerset West. Nowhere else though but others on here for sure will. I'm a complete and clueless novice - any help will b appreciated We all started there - only thing that counts is to get out and enjoy

Thanks nice advice!

I'm in JHB - Midrand side... But am prepared to travel

Got a mate who has a spare bike - got no clue what it is but at least I can get a fair idea of whether I like the sport or not before puting down hard cash... He's offered to borrow gloves and helmet too - so I'm quite well sorted *air punch* :P

While I wait to get the bike from him I'll start doing spinning classes - they have 90min advanced classes at VA so at least can start building up my strength etc

The best advice I never got is to spend R200 more initially and buy a bib instead of normal cycling shorts. The first time you put it on you might look like Borat to yourself in the mirror, but you get used to it. There's nothing worse than cycling shorts pulling down and shirt riding up, exposing a nice piece of back/crack! And the padding never stays where it is intended and needed....

ha ha classic ... k kewl - these r things a man must know... protect the sacred crack

3K? Hmmm, I saw shelf packers unboxing a whole shipment of awesome bikes at... please insert more cash for the answer.

well shite R3k is even a lot to spend on something you're not quite sure you'll still be interested in, in a month or two - although I'm sure I will...

But got a mate to borrow his spare bike to me in the mean time and I can save up some more for if I get more serious about it