New to the sport - what do I need

Michael Labuschagne

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ... so I'd assume ur talking chafing? Ok where exactly? In between ur legs? Ur nuts? What?

That whole area in general yes, sitbone area, taint and inner thigh especially

I switched from running to biking because I thought spending R1700 twice a year on shoes was too much and biking would be cheaper. In 4 months I've spent =/- 10K. Biking is not cheap.

Lol yup... even the entry level stuff looks quite pricey

I switched from running to biking because I thought spending R1700 twice a year on shoes was too much and biking would be cheaper. In 4 months I've spent =/- 10K. Biking is not cheap.

Your budget is blown then on the clothes, helmet, shoes and VERY importantly (which some other twit says isn't needed) protective eyewear. NEVER ride without glasses on, eyes cannot be replaced and don't generally heal well when hit with stones and branches.

When you have the kit, start saving religiously for a bike.If your mate has lent you a bike (note: correct grammar) ask him how long you can use it for whilst you are saving for the new one. Offer to pay for the tyres and brake pads.

Don't waste your time and try and find a new bike for your limited budget, buy a good used one for the same amount. You will be buying something that should last you a whole lot longer than an entry level bike (don't even think 3K will get you anything decent).

If you need advice, then take a lot of what you get on "The Hub" with a pinch of salt. Here everyone is an expert. To go with a general consensus would be your best bet

Happy trails dude B)

Your budget is blown then on the clothes, helmet, shoes and VERY importantly (which some other twit says isn't needed) protective eyewear. NEVER ride without glasses on, eyes cannot be replaced and don't generally heal well when hit with stones and branches.

When you have the kit, start saving religiously for a bike.If your mate has lent you a bike (note: correct grammar) ask him how long you can use it for whilst you are saving for the new one. Offer to pay for the tyres and brake pads.

Don't waste your time and try and find a new bike for your limited budget, buy a good used one for the same amount. You will be buying something that should last you a whole lot longer than an entry level bike (don't even think 3K will get you anything decent).

If you need advice, then take a lot of what you get on "The Hub" with a pinch of salt. Here everyone is an expert. To go with a general consensus would be your best bet

Happy trails dude B)

Thanks man... Nice advice!

Registered for the triathlon... I've done two spinning classes last friday and doing another tomorrow and haven't been on a bike for well over 10 years... If nothing else, this is going to be interesting...

What can I expect from the 40km cycle? Any tips?

What can I expect from the 40km cycle? Any tips?

Some pain .... ;)

On a more serious note, it all depends on the terrain e.g. how much and how steep is the climbing, whether there's a lot of smaller rolling hills, also whether a lot is jeep track or single track. Guys I ride with reckon a rough rule of thumb is that MTB distances are 2 to 3 times as hard as road distances due to the tougher terrain, wheels don't roll as they do on tar. So that'd equate to maybe 80 to 100km of road riding. Will be a tough ride but sounds like you have pretty high fitness, so you should be fine. Just make sure you have some energy drink, gels or bars (whichever you use). Hard to say how much saddle time that'll be maybe 2.5 to 3 hrs, could be lot less if you fast/fit or the ride isn't too tough.

Edited by walkerr

Hello MAL

1. Thank you for changing that avatar pic. I got as much of a fright as you obviously did !

2. That shall be your face when coming upon your first off camber, blind corner drop-off.

3. Borrow a decent bicycle of the right size, with flat (training) petals.

4. Take the training wheels off. They just snag everything on singletrack. This is MTBiking, not Roadie.

5. You will love it.

6. Unless you buy a crap 3k bike.

7. In which case you won't and you will go back to swimming - MEH!

8. Budget about R12000,00 (look for second hand) - sell some of that swimming stuff!

I did the Xterra this weekend, there were guys riding all sorts of bikes from fancy ass expensive machines to old school with solid front forks. People had nice tri-suits on, running shorts and cycling shorts (thats what I used through the event, no problem really).

I wouldn't worry too much about your gear first time round, just enjoy it and understand there are lots of people out there without all the fancy gear, the main thing is to give it a go and to finish!

Some pain .... ;)

On a more serious note, it all depends on the terrain e.g. how much and how steep is the climbing, whether there's a lot of smaller rolling hills, also whether a lot is jeep track or single track. Guys I ride with reckon a rough rule of thumb is that MTB distances are 2 to 3 times as hard as road distances due to the tougher terrain, wheels don't roll as they do on tar. So that'd equate to maybe 80 to 100km of road riding. Will be a tough ride but sounds like you have pretty high fitness, so you should be fine. Just make sure you have some energy drink, gels or bars (whichever you use). Hard to say how much saddle time that'll be maybe 2.5 to 3 hrs, could be lot less if you fast/fit or the ride isn't too tough.

It's a road race but I only have a mountain bike so I'm making due... So shouldn't be that bad then - I'm gonna put my pillow on my seat :wacko: my ass is not used the saddle its farkin sore lol

Hello MAL

1. Thank you for changing that avatar pic. I got as much of a fright as you obviously did !

2. That shall be your face when coming upon your first off camber, blind corner drop-off.

3. Borrow a decent bicycle of the right size, with flat (training) petals.

4. Take the training wheels off. They just snag everything on singletrack. This is MTBiking, not Roadie.

5. You will love it.

6. Unless you buy a crap 3k bike.

7. In which case you won't and you will go back to swimming - MEH!

8. Budget about R12000,00 (look for second hand) - sell some of that swimming stuff!

R12k yikes... What can you get for R12k that you can't get for R6k? Or even R3k for that matter?

I did the Xterra this weekend, there were guys riding all sorts of bikes from fancy ass expensive machines to old school with solid front forks. People had nice tri-suits on, running shorts and cycling shorts (thats what I used through the event, no problem really).

I wouldn't worry too much about your gear first time round, just enjoy it and understand there are lots of people out there without all the fancy gear, the main thing is to give it a go and to finish!

I think this will be my approach

It's a road race but I only have a mountain bike so I'm making due... So shouldn't be that bad then - I'm gonna put my pillow on my seat :wacko: my ass is not used the saddle its farkin sore lol

Ah - ok - missed that, you'll be fine then - 40km on road won't hurt nearly so bad. You'll be done in less than 2 hours - probably 1.5 or less if you go for it. If you're sure it's on tar, see if you can put slick tyres on. Will give you a bit more roll for a bit less pedaling. Having said that, a very fit young lady blasted passed me on the Tour de PPA on a full suspension mountain bike with knobbly tyres. I was not worthy !

Edited by walkerr

Ah - ok - missed that, you'll be fine then - 40km on road won't hurt nearly so bad. You'll be done in less than 2 hours - probably 1.5 or less if you go for it. If you're sure it's on tar, see if you can put slick tyres on. Will give you a bit more roll for a bit less pedaling. Having said that, a very fit young lady blasted passed me on the Tour de PPA on a full suspension mountain bike with knobbly tyres. I was not worthy !

Ok things have changed... The guy who is lending his bike to me has lent it to someone else ... He has a 20 year old tri bike I'm fetching this afternoon - he says it needs some TLC

Where can I take it in the midrand area? I work and live near Vodaworld...