I-Link or Nokon

Racer X

Christie, you can change to any product you so wish. I am not here to dictate and push only the products we service and distribute only to inform you as the consumer with information that will help you save money and have a reliable and functional product in the long run.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christie' date=' you can change to any product you so wish. I am not here to dictate and push only the products we service and distribute only to inform you as the consumer with information that will help you save money and have a reliable and functional product in the long run.

[/quote']

It's such a pity that the product experts at PezCycling are so blissfully unaware of your information Steven. Maybe you should drop them and e-mail and strongly recommend to them that what they are doing is in fact deception and deceit on a grand scale!

For those of us who would like to ride on better transmissions, I say go for it, at least I have read some literature that tells me about the merits of these cables. Still waiting to see the literature which my groupset manufacture has that might point to the contrary.

In the mean time you can read this...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4107

If Shimano components are so delicate that changing the cables can overstress them, what will happen if you race in the rain, & some muck gets into the tips of the cable housings? Or how about the dust & energy paste that accumulates in the cable guides at the bb? This will cause much more stress than other cables.  

Oh my goodness!!!! Steven, something is very wrong here, seems Nokon has been used in the Pro peleton as far back as 2004!!! And would you believe it that the are teams riding Shimano doing all sorts of trickery with their Nokon cable housing, judging from this article it seems they prefer it to the regular crap that comes with Shimano groupsets.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2004/tech/articles/6575.0.html

Bugger all this warrenty nonsense' date=' I want those cabbles.

HE WHO HAS THE MOST BLING WINS!!!!
[/quote']

I don't get this warranty thing either, as far as I know, when your Shimano STI gives problems, buy a new one! Fortunately I've never had a problem with a shifter or other part of the drive train.

Pantani' date=' the stuff in the Pez article is Campy Wink[/quote']

You know, this makes me want to sell my sh*tmano and buy Campy!!! Angry

Have just ridden both bikes with my new I-link/Powrecordz set up and all I can say is WoW, I didn't know that my gears could work so well. Also dropped over 60 grams a bike. Major bling factor helps as well.

Have just ridden both bikes with my new I-link/Powrecordz set up and all I can say is WoW' date=' I didn't know that my gears could work so well. Also dropped over 60 grams a bike. Major bling factor helps as well.[/quote']

Who did the install for you ? I am looking for some for my road bike but the Nokon setup I had on my MTB never worked properly and I had to take it off after a couple of weeks.

1ktt - Did it myself just followed the instructions.

Pantini - well as I don't use shimano I guess it proves something about shimano, maybe steven should read the post.

Only because I am bored and have nothing better to do... By the way, where is Steven?

Please Hubbers, indulge me for a minute. Could you please all reach for you January 2008 copy of Bicycling Magazine, turn with me to page 46.

Here we have a photographic representation of a certain Mr Fabian Cancellara astride a Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL, rigged out with FSA carbon bars, a cruddy aluminum FSA stem, Zipp 808 rear and Zipp 404 front complete with Shimano  Dura Ace groupset.  Now, please stay with me Hubbers, this is tedious I know, but I will conclude shortly. If we look closely at Mr Cancellara's cables you will notice that he is using a shiny silver material for his braking cables, front and back. At a glance I would say they are Nokon cables. Now, if these cables are good enough to be used by Mr Cancellara, whether or not they damage his Shimano braking system, STI's or affect his drive train, then I will say they are good enough to be used by the masses. I really couldn't care if Pro Teams change their cable housing and STI's for every race, I will still use them since this is a phenomenal endorsement  of the product and I couldn't give a flying Huckleberry who says what about them being detrimental to the health of my sh*tmano STI's...

Warranty? Bah humbug...

Pantani2007-12-31 05:52:56

Shocked Shimano cables both gear and brake are designed to work as a complete system with STI' date=' rear derailer etc etc. Whilst these Nokon cables mite look very bling they are not designed to work with Shimano or give ultimate shifting or brake performance. Sis means Shimano intergrated System or STI means Shimano total intergration.Using non Shimano cables both inner or outer creates more stress and could render the warranty of Shimano components invalid.Why wate alot of money for something that looks bling but is not recommended

[/quote']

Steven, you've been reading too many bike magazines and gaurantee cards. Just about any cable works with any shifter or brake, as long as you can get the cable end lugs to fit, they'll work.

Please explain where this stress you're talking about is created.

Further, how on earth could this render the warranty invalid? South African common law won't put up with nonsense like that. You say this stuff isn't recommended. Recommended by whom?

Shimano isn't the world's only cable manufacturer (if indeed they manufacture their own cable) and there are hundreds of companies out there making perfectly good bike cable.
Stop breathing fear and mystique into a simple steel cable.

If Shimano components are so delicate that changing the cables can overstress them' date=' what will happen if you race in the rain, & some muck gets into the tips of the cable housings? Or how about the dust & energy paste that accumulates in the cable guides at the bb? This will cause much more stress than other cables.  [/quote']

I'll answer that one, if I may. If you race in the rain, the Shimano open-ended ferrules lets in lots of dust and water, which creates a nice muddy environment for the cables to abrade away at their soft Teflon lining. Eventually, say after a 3-hour ride in the rain, you'll have to change gears by pulling on any exposed piece of cable you can find - like playing the guitar - and then taking up the slack with your Totally Integrated shifter.

If you then propose to the cycling community that serious MTBers file out their cable stops so that they can fit continuous housing  throughout, they all wet their pants because you'll "violate the frame warrantee."

It's time that we show the middle finger to these high and mighty distributors with their International worth-nothing warrantees and do what works for us.

For me, that's continuous cable from any reputable manufacturer, cheap chain from KMC and whatever non-structural frame modifications I care to make to improve my riding experience.

Oh, and I almost forgot, it's also about fitting 3rd party cassettes and chainrings if I feel like it. If I can't feel the difference and I can't measure it, there is no difference.