Too much Single Track?

Caerus

So, I was chatting to one of my riding partners/ mates that did the Subaru MTB Classic this past weekend in KZN. When I asked him how he did, and what the race was like he tells me in no uncertain terms, "There was too much single track"

Can there be too much in a race?

Now for me, if I had not been ill, I would have been loving every single minute of it, he got a top 100 finish, so over crowding can't have been an issue. He reckons that there was about 30km of Single Track in the 45km race

Just wanted to see what other Hubbers think :)

Edited by Caerus

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overheard a chick talking today about the race. She reckoned it was +-60% st. However, someone else i spoke to mentioned it was mainly tough, technical, climbing s/t...so maybe thats what your mate wasnt keen on?

Because if that was the case...imagine how many slow wallys would have held people up (i qualify as one of those), esp if there was no dual cut track...

Time your friend went for a scan :whistling: would love to ride 30K's of ST

I think so, he never used to complain either. Is the jeep track needed in a race to get a breather. I was wondering what a 45km race would be like just riding single track, taking into account it would need areas you can pass on.

Overheard a chick talking today about the race. She reckoned it was +-60% st. However, someone else i spoke to mentioned it was mainly tough, technical, climbing s/t...so maybe thats what your mate wasnt keen on?

Because if that was the case...imagine how many slow wallys would have held people up (i qualify as one of those), esp if there was no dual cut track...

He can handle most technical stuff, maybe he just was not fit enough and was just bitching cause his times were slower.

Dude.

NEVER too much singletrack.

Just too many slow riders! Tell your mate to train harder. Then he won't get stuck behind the slow ones!

To.my mind there was too much jeep track and I certainly didn't notice any "technical" climbing!

That said. Big up to most riders. Everyone I got behind on the ST let me pass.

NICE ride!

I suppose areas would be needed to pass on but 30 k's of St :drool: :drool:

I try ride as much St at Tokai as possible and get :cursing: when I have to ride jeep teack

Its all about the passing, there is nothing worse than getting stuck behind slower riders. Naturally that's not an issue when you are out for a pedal, but in a race where you are pushing for time and places it becomes a big deal.

Outside of racing though, there is no such thing as too much single track

Dude.

NEVER too much singletrack.

Just too many slow riders! Tell your mate to train harder. Then he won't get stuck behind the slow ones!

To.my mind there was too much jeep track and I certainly didn't notice any "technical" climbing!

That said. Big up to most riders. Everyone I got behind on the ST let me pass.

NICE ride!

He finished in about 2h15 so no slow riders to be stuck behind. He has become more of XC racer then a trail rider, still don't get it though. What was your time like Mr. Drongo?

I was gonna ask if was too technical, but I guess not from your reply.

No question it has one of the highest ratios of ST to Jeep Track of any of the KZN races. The high turn out each year is testament to this. This requires that some of the ST goes uphill, but none of it too technical. I'd say it was just right.

Regarding congestion, my perspective from E batch (note to self - remember to pre enter) riding into D and some C's is that almost all were polite and gave way quickly at a safe place where they could pull over slightly to let me pass. Thank you all. Perhaps it was the not-so-quiet DT Swiss rear hub on my ss which anounces my arrival and negates the need for a bell :). I call it the Call of the Wild!

I'm with Leet, it is impossible to have too much ST. Even in a race.

Guess it boils down to personal preference and how you derive your pleasure from riding.

I'm with Leet, it is impossible to have too much ST. Even in a race.

Guess it boils down to personal preference and how you derive your pleasure from riding.

I agree, if the whole 45km was single track it would have been even better.

Is the jeep track needed for the guys that can't really ride stuff that is too technical?

Is the jeep track needed for the guys that can't really ride stuff that is too technical?

Indeed. Last night they showed highlights of the Wine to Wales. Amazing how many okes couldn't ride a singletrack section which was made of wooden planks with a few berms etc.

a singletrack section which was made of wooden planks with a few berms etc tooth marks.

Called my wife to come watch some of the wipeouts. They look even worse in PVR slow motion.

Indeed. Last night they showed highlights of the Wine to Wales. Amazing how many okes couldn't ride a singletrack section which was made of wooden planks with a few berms etc.

I was going to bring that up, I almost wet myself laughing at some of the falls. :w00t: Some hectic face plants, these are skills that should be masterd before riding a race.

Edited by Caerus