Which will help more - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

Skylark

So no love for the RD?

You chaps are all giving great answers - pragmatic answers

I'd like to hear the purely theoretical side of either upgrading to a XTR RD or XTR Shifters

The RD must have a fair amount of the responsibility for quick accurate shifting , that seamless feeling as the gears just move effortlessly into place virtually instantaneously

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 2011 XTR shifters with a 2011 XT RD. I picked XTR for the shifters because they have three cool features:

1. direct shift (the RD moves with the push, not the release of the upshift lever)

2, dual upshift action (trigger or thumb-push)

3. the ability to upshift one or two gears at a time.

Perhaps the 2012 XT shifters will do all this too (the 2011 don't) but I love my XTR shifters. They are smooth yet crisp and never mis-shift. The ability to be able to upshift (move to heavier gear) with either the trigger action or the SRAM-like thumb-push action with the same upshift lever is awesome - I use them alternatively depending on my hand position and the conditions. Then, the ability to upshift two gears at a time immediately with one push is supercool e.g. if you've just crested a rise and want to keep hammering without waiting for the 4 clicks (in-out + in-out) that it would take with a cheaper lever to move two gears.

So, you guessed it, get the levers. Or, if XT will do all the above, you may just get both a RD and shifters for the price of XTR shifters, in which case i'd do that.

So what can an XTR RD add to a gear system?

Great looks , cool looking bike as it leans up on the wall and angles the RD towards passerbys?

:blush:

Why is it that when you buy a bike with lower speced components the rear derailluer is always one spec up. For example, it will have deore shifters, FD, cranks and then you get a SLX rear deraileur.

Whats that about, or are tey trying to tell you/us something?

I did not read everything, but rather save your money and spend it on something that will actually make a difference. Like wheels or a better fork maybe. I know its much more R but thats why I say save.

Why is it that when you buy a bike with lower speced components the rear derailluer is always one spec up. For example, it will have deore shifters, FD, cranks and then you get a SLX rear deraileur.

Whats that about, or are tey trying to tell you/us something?

I have noticed that consistently aswell - RD is almost always a higher spec to everything else.

I'm assuming that visually the RD stands out more so a buyer will notice a RD more than FD or shifters

And RD is cheaper than shifters , so cheaper cost for manufacturer.

Anyone know if there's a good logical reason why they do that?

Like is the RD is the most vital part of a gear system?

So investing in a excellent RD will give you max bang for your bucks or is it just part of the whole gimmicky way manufacturers make and sell bikes?

I have noticed that consistently aswell - RD is almost always a higher spec to everything else.

I'm assuming that visually the RD stands out more so a buyer will notice a RD more than FD or shifters

And RD is cheaper than shifters , so cheaper cost for manufacturer.

Anyone know if there's a good logical reason why they do that?

Like is the RD is the most vital part of a gear system?

So investing in a excellent RD will give you max bang for your bucks or is it just part of the whole gimmicky way manufacturers make and sell bikes?

Thats what I'm thinking? Was it done for aesthetics or for a technical reason, in that it is more important?

I have the 2011 XTR shifters with a 2011 XT RD. I picked XTR for the shifters because they have three cool features: 1. direct shift (the RD moves with the push, not the release of the upshift lever) 2, dual upshift action (trigger or thumb-push) 3. the ability to upshift one or two gears at a time. Perhaps the 2012 XT shifters will do all this too (the 2011 don't) but I love my XTR shifters. They are smooth yet crisp and never mis-shift. The ability to be able to upshift (move to heavier gear) with either the trigger action or the SRAM-like thumb-push action with the same upshift lever is awesome - I use them alternatively depending on my hand position and the conditions. Then, the ability to upshift two gears at a time immediately with one push is supercool e.g. if you've just crested a rise and want to keep hammering without waiting for the 4 clicks (in-out + in-out) that it would take with a cheaper lever to move two gears. So, you guessed it, get the levers. Or, if XT will do all the above, you may just get both a RD and shifters for the price of XTR shifters, in which case i'd do that.

What this guy said

Hmm, SkyLark, methinks you're more interested in bling than tech. Buy the RD if that will make you feel better about your bike. But if you want the ZAR you spend to make a real difference to your ride, spend it on the contact points, i.e. the shifters in this case. And as I said earlier, first check out the XT kit - you may be able to get shifters and RD for the price of one of the XTR components and the functionality will be very close to XTR. And you'll solve a bit of your bling problem as well :)

I have the 2011 XTR shifters with a 2011 XT RD. I picked XTR for the shifters because they have three cool features: 1. direct shift (the RD moves with the push, not the release of the upshift lever) 2, dual upshift action (trigger or thumb-push) 3. the ability to upshift one or two gears at a time. Perhaps the 2012 XT shifters will do all this too (the 2011 don't) but I love my XTR shifters. They are smooth yet crisp and never mis-shift. The ability to be able to upshift (move to heavier gear) with either the trigger action or the SRAM-like thumb-push action with the same upshift lever is awesome - I use them alternatively depending on my hand position and the conditions. Then, the ability to upshift two gears at a time immediately with one push is supercool e.g. if you've just crested a rise and want to keep hammering without waiting for the 4 clicks (in-out + in-out) that it would take with a cheaper lever to move two gears. So, you guessed it, get the levers. Or, if XT will do all the above, you may just get both a RD and shifters for the price of XTR shifters, in which case i'd do that.

What this guy said

Thats what I'm thinking? Was it done for aesthetics or for a technical reason, in that it is more important?

Selling point.

X9 Rd and X0 gripshifts....bulletproof and precise shifting with the ability to finetune on the front

Hmm, SkyLark, methinks you're more interested in bling than tech. Buy the RD if that will make you feel better about your bike. But if you want the ZAR you spend to make a real difference to your ride, spend it on the contact points, i.e. the shifters in this case. And as I said earlier, first check out the XT kit - you may be able to get shifters and RD for the price of one of the XTR components and the functionality will be very close to XTR. And you'll solve a bit of your bling problem as well :)

For crying out loud!! You not bothering to read my posts?

I'm not interested in bling at all , I did allude to that sarcasticlly which may possibly have sailed over your head

I suppose making assumptions is easier than reading :mellow:

Its not about looks , price to useablity ratio Vs Xt or what not.

I'm asking a technical question here :

Which will help more in an SLX drivetrain - XTR RD or XTR Shifters?

I'd just like a straight answer to that with the reason why if possible.

Many have pointed to the Shifters being the bigger help , which I also beleive to be true

But I'm still wondering what part the XTR RD would play

It must play a reasonably vital role in crisp seamless shifting - what though?

I think its an interesting question

For crying out loud!! You not bothering to read my posts? I'm not interested in bling at all , I did allude to that sarcasticlly which may possibly have sailed over your head I suppose making assumptions is easier than reading :mellow: Its not about looks , price to useablity ratio Vs Xt or what not. I'm asking a technical question here : Which will help more in an SLX drivetrain - XTR RD or XTR Shifters? I'd just like a straight answer to that with the reason why if possible. Many have pointed to the Shifters being the bigger help , which I also beleive to be true But I'm still wondering what part the XTR RD would play It must play a reasonably vital role in crisp seamless shifting - what though? I think its an interesting question

Chill dude, go read your own posts again.

Anyway, as I said in my first reply, get the shifters.