Some Pics of the World Cup DH

nigelhicks

Whats the plan for the long flat peddle section?

not much - just reshape some of the jumps and put down granite base! ... not much else we can do

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, Nige - I wish we had that type of soil down here! Sick & tired of this sandy k4k! Only way to get it up to scratch is to lay layers and layers of clay over the top. And to find the clay you have to either truck it in, or dig dig dig to find it under the sandy ****.

Damn, Nige - I wish we had that type of soil down here! Sick & tired of this sandy k4k! Only way to get it up to scratch is to lay layers and layers of clay over the top. And to find the clay you have to either truck it in, or dig dig dig to find it under the sandy ****.

Just move back here!

Just move back here!

LOL! Yeah, mate. I love it up there, but CT is now home for me... I'm a convert. It's just so superior ito administration and so many other things. Yes, there aren't any thunderstorms (love those babies) and the surf is cold as feck, but it's a good place to live.

Property's just so farking expensive down here.

Man this WC is gonna rock the house. I can see were I would be spending most of my time, right there by cloud 9.

LOL! Yeah, mate. I love it up there, but CT is now home for me... I'm a convert. It's just so superior ito administration and so many other things. Yes, there aren't any thunderstorms (love those babies) and the surf is cold as feck, but it's a good place to live.

Property's just so farking expensive down here.

Speaking of property..... I saw that monstrosity of a property near your folks place on Sunday... Faaaaark bru! That place is HUGE!

Have you sorted out the problem?

Ya ... had a look at it and its fine as it is - we might just put down a thin layer (50mm) of larger gravel to give grip - but the tillite forms a nice road base - its just slippery when wet.

Shot for your help though dude

Why is Drummond never working in any of those pics? Make him work harder Nige!

Thanks for all the hard work fellas, looking really good :thumbup:

Do some tests stabilizing it with cement. Mix enough cement into the dry sand unti it just starts to change colour. Then add enough water so it forms a little firm clod in your hand. If you drop the clod it must still stay fairly intact. You then have less than four hours to place, level and compact the mix. Flash, the point where cement starts hydrating to give strenght takes place within this time. After that it loses strenght and your effort is wasted. The cement may crack in time so leave some expansion joints or construct in alternative panels by putting in formwork. Leave to cure and wet regularly with water for seven days and keep traffic off the surface. I constructed stabilised subbase and base with sand and it carries the loads induced by traffic. Remember sand that is small rough particles (not rounded windblown sand) interlocks and forms a very strong layer when compacted properly at the correct moisture content. Look at the sand through reversed binocular and good light. It works like a microscope and you will be able to see the particle shape.

PM me if you need more info.

yeah.. that's it right there Eccentrix: Pixie dust.

works awesomely, as long as you have water on hand. That's why i wait till rainy season before going on spading missions :ph34r:

Edited by Capricorn

Speaking of property..... I saw that monstrosity of a property near your folks place on Sunday... Faaaaark bru! That place is HUGE!

You have no idea, bro... on all 3 sides, they have cut back the clay to make a sorta 3-walled box (like they do in Fresnaye and Clifton, high up on the rocks) but get this - there's no retaining on ANY of the 3 walls of clay. There aren't even any weeping holes, or concrete facing on the clay walls. 15m away from the rear wall is a pool of approx 80,000 litres. 10m away from the right hand wall are the neighbour's foundations. My folks are reasonably far away ito foundations etc, so they're not so worried about their place. But it's pulling values of the surrounding houses down by the week. All the run-off goes into the road, and consequently into the property at the bottom that has those geese, and that have just built a new massive outer wall. Yes, there is a storm water drain right on the corner, but it wasn't designed to take the amount of water that will now come through with the altered landscape.

The plastering has only been in place for just over a year, and is already cracking and they're having to repair it. They didn't put any waterproofing in place, and the roof section is TOTALLY level. No angle to it at all. Which means - the water sits. And seeps. They still haven't put a grade onto the roof, and simply patched the cracks in the plaster. They're going to have to re-do the roof in about 3 to 5 years if they don't sort out the waterproofing and ut a grade onto the roof.

And you know how that area can be affected by a summer storm...