Frame Shipping from UK

camerons

Hello

Has anyone every shipped a frame over from the UK? If so what method did you use?

If you look on CRC or Wiggle they do them for less than 100 pounds but if I look myself on UPS, DHL etc, the cheapest I can find is about 300 pounds. I know that they obviously get massive discounts for the volumes they ship but still!

Anyway if anyone has found a cost effective way of doing this I would love to hear about it.

Cheers

p.s, I am aware I'll need to pay VAT and customs clearing fees (but no duty).

The shops have "bulk accounts" with Royal Mail and other shipping companies. Wiggle turnover is about GBP600m if I remember correctly. They qualify for a bit better rate because of that...

Oh yes, the most cost effective way is to fly it to SA in a passenger aeroplane as checked in luggage...

But that way it has to be delivered in the UK, and you'll pay 20% VAT.

If you buy it second hand, get someone to fly it out for you.

I just had my Titus El Guapo frame shipped over from On-One in the UK. Full tracking for 28 pounds.

Box with frame and a couple of other goodies arrived intact and unpilfered!

Ja I can get someone to bring it but have to wait two months and I am not keen. I want my new toy! Cheapest shipping I can find so far is 254 pounds, that is nuts.

If your frame is more than a certain amount, around R5k, you will also pay duty. This has been my experience with lots of CRC orders.

I just had my Titus El Guapo frame shipped over from On-One in the UK. Full tracking for 28 pounds.

Box with frame and a couple of other goodies arrived intact and unpilfered!

This is breaking my heart! Do you know who it was shipped with? Also if you are feeling kind any chance you could please measure the box it was shipped in? Need to know LxWxH to calculate shipping.

I live in the UK and that sounds about right - GBP250.

Can't think of a cheaper way.

Thats not good news, but thanks.

I just had my Titus El Guapo frame shipped over from On-One in the UK. Full tracking for 28 pounds. Box with frame and a couple of other goodies arrived intact and unpilfered!

You've got to tell me, are you enjoying it? I have had my eye on the El since it was proto.. I may even be tempted to do something similar in terms of having it shipped.

If your frame is more than a certain amount, around R5k, you will also pay duty. This has been my experience with lots of CRC orders.

Interesting...... my frame was about R10k and attracted no duties at all.

This is breaking my heart! Do you know who it was shipped with? Also if you are feeling kind any chance you could please measure the box it was shipped in? Need to know LxWxH to calculate shipping.

Unfortunately box has long since disappeared but was shipped by TNT Post Parcelservice. Weight was around 3.75kg's including frame, headset, saddle, spare hanger and the box itself

You've got to tell me, are you enjoying it? I have had my eye on the El since it was proto.. I may even be tempted to do something similar in terms of having it shipped.

Really enjoying it, have to get used to pedalling a heavier bike but the downhills and technical terrain more than make up for that hardships.

As far as buying a frame from CRC. If it's over R3 000 it will qualify for free shipping. This will be via Parcelforce and should take about 1 week. No duty, regardless of value. VAT is usually around 15.4% (they add 10% of the value to the item then charge, although my last 3 CRC orders I've been paying between 13 and 14%). Oh, and let's not forget the R30 clearance fee.

BUT... if you're planning on bringing in a bunch of parts with that frame... like a drivetrain and wheels, CRC will automatically up your shipping from free to R2000-odd rand. This is because it is seen as a complete bike. Also customs will charge you 15% duty on top of the VAT. So if you plan on bringing in enough parts to build a bike... do it in separate orders...

so again... if the frame is from CRC and it's more than R3000 and you're not buying all the other parts required to build a bike in that same order, then shipping is free. no duty, only VAT and clearance charge. Did this just a few months ago, tried and tested!

Edited by patches

If you can get that here for 28 pounds it's an absolute steal. For a complete bike you're looking at about R8k all incl. so I also would have thought about R3k. Doesn't matter that it's light, the box is pretty big so you pay volumetric weight anyway and the freight companies and airlines charge you a minimum fee which makes small orders expensive. FedEx and DHL are not cheap at all for these type of shipments.

Also customs will charge you 15% duty on top of the VAT. So if you plan on bringing in enough parts to build a bike... do it in separate orders...

Ok... Well that is the reason then... As soon as we order parts from CRC and it is more than about R5k, they allways add duties as well... We always structure our orders between 3k and 5k... Free shipping and only VAT and clearance fee. Did not know that customs would differenciate between frames and other parts.

I just remembered that I used a third party agent (the good eventually went with DHL I think) to send a massive box of audio equipment to a fellow hubber a few months ago, they were quite a bit cheaper than most others.

http://www.interparcel.com/

Issue is the "volumetric" weight of a frame.

To whoever asked about On-one, its a bike shop, not a shipping company.

Have you already bought the frame, and now need to send it?

If all else fails, contribute to my flight costs and I'll fly it out over a weekend for you... :whistling: