Scott Spark 29 RC or Santa Cruz Tallboy

Jaco1

Scott Spark 29 RC or Santa Cruz Tallboy  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose one

• Scott Spark 29 RC
    • Santa Cruz Tallboy

Hi

Please help I can not make up my mind, Scott Spark 29 RC with XX groupset or Santa Cruz Tallboy with XT

Price / Weight and groupset on Scott is quite good compared to Tallboy.

thanks

Jaco

post-12949-0-86478300-1329576492.jpg

post-12949-0-61919500-1329576504.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give us the price and wheelset specs.i have a similar decision pending.I have not heard or read a bad comment about a tallboy yet.R27000. for a frame was ,is keeping me back.If SC frame prices were better ??

The Scott is not bad and well specced but the Tallboy is really a special bike. Santa Cruz is a boutique brand and has a loyal following for a reason.

I disagree with a lot of whats being said here, I have done the exact same research for the last 2 months with three bikes in mind 2 of which was the scott and the santa,

Every review on the santa came back excellent, the scott is hampered by a crappy DTswiss shock which is totally useless, and gets described as do-able, adequate, not up to par with major competitors etc. The whole point of a dualy is to have the right shock combination, some reviewers even went as far as to say that Scott should break their alliance with DTswiss and just design with fox or RS at the rear.

Bottom line its not a bad bike but it will never reach its full putential with that rear.

Without you being more specific on the specs and price, the comparison is meaningless ... like oranges and apples. The pic of the SC shows a 120mm fork ... how can you compare that with the Scott with 100mm travel? and you can't compare XX with XT (XX costs approx 2-3 x more than XT and weighs 20-30% less for the groupset!!).

I have a SC Tallboy for 18 months and race it competitively mainly against much younger riders on hardtails. It performs really well. Excellent on climbs, superb on technical descents. I have XX cranks, XTR drivechain, R1 brakes and RS Reba RLC fork. Weight less than 11 kg with 'everything' on it. I bought it as a frame and built the bike, changing components over time.

If I got the Scott Spark (I'm a great Scott fan, having had both CR1 and Scale), I'd get the frame, chuck away their fork/shock/gadget suspension stuff and fit something lighter and 'mainstream' (e..g Fox RP23 and RS Reba/SID or FOX - if you don't mind the heavier weight of the Fox). And since the frame is so light, would go for lighter components than XT ! and lightish wheels (eg ZTR Crest or even Race, depending on your weight, or carbon) .

On the geometries, it looks as if the Scott Spark is more 'aggressive' and less forgiving (Spez has even more aggressive geometry). The Tallboy is quite forgiving and offers a superb ride specially when it gets technical.

CPT mayhem just a note on the santa, most reviewers wished it came with a 120mm instead of the 100m

CPT mayhem just a note on the santa, most reviewers wished it came with a 120mm instead of the 100m

I presume you mean rear wheel travel rather than front? Front is easily rectifiable by adjusting the fork.

And I know what you mean. But a thing to remember, the average trail rider over in the UK is used to 140mm plus travel bikes, and, even though the 9'er is more forgiving on the big stuff than the equivalent 6'er, a 40mm drop in suspension travel is going t be missed.

Also - average rider here is looking for an XC machine, and the TB is perfect in that respect. And look what he's comparing it to - hardly a trail monster, that scott!

nope front. the 120 upfront apparently makes it an almost perfect ride.

Does it not already come with a 120mm fork? The pic is showing a 120mm.