Bicycling mag moves into online shopping?

onetrackmind

Hey Guys

onetrackmind: I hear you! We [Rush Sports] are "powering" the shop on behalf of Bicycling mag, there really is some exciting stuff in the pipeline, expect many product reviews from us, more work on the tech.rushsportscycling.com domain in terms of "DIY: How to..." articles and video's. We hope to do things a little differently from our competitors, and our goal is really to educate and inform, and empower our clients with knowledge. Its going to be one hell of a year!

Hey Guys

onetrackmind: I hear you! We [Rush Sports] are "powering" the shop on behalf of Bicycling mag, there really is some exciting stuff in the pipeline, expect many product reviews from us, more work on the tech.rushsportscycling.com domain in terms of "DIY: How to..." articles and video's. We hope to do things a little differently from our competitors, and our goal is really to educate and inform, and empower our clients with knowledge. Its going to be one hell of a year!

Would be awesome if you could run a decent bike maintanence course as well, if you are gonna go the DIY route :thumbup:

We used to run them, but its a tricky situation, I think knowledge needs to be shared for free, but unfortunately when you need to add time, logistics, venue hire, catering etc it gets a little out of hand. What I want to try and achieve over time is a wiki style reference for people to get informed at their own pace and tech level. There are various video's and articles up on the site already, however I still think its lacking, we will be putting more of a push in this year to grow the number and range of topics covered, and have some great ideas up our sleeves in terms of further innovation... should be exciting!

Damned .... skewers on the site for sale are R110.00 more than another local bike shop site.....

Hi Hairy, it would be helpful to let us know which skewers ;) We do our best to keep prices as competitive as possible, so by all means feel free to engage us on this.

Hi Hairy, it would be helpful to let us know which skewers ;) We do our best to keep prices as competitive as possible, so by all means feel free to engage us on this.

Hi there

Thanks for taking this on and good luck. With an aggressive attitude / client interaction like this you should (And I hope you do) do well.

The loaded skewers on the site are the ones referred to and I checked the weights and spec on the other site ... they seem to be the same, but I could be a pleb and missing something.

How can a magazine be part of/own/sponsor a shop ... goes completely against the principle of unbiased journalism.

By definition they now have a vested interest in any review they do!

Hi Hairy, spotted the site and product in mention. I will look into this... I see their "SRP" is in line with ours, will need to do a little investigating and see what we can do.

Tim: this is certainly a valid point, I think there are various stand-points and will certainly be many, many opinions on this. I think the method the store is executed has a lot to do with the separation in terms of blurring interests. I would be happy to chat to you about this off forum however as it is a rather in depth discussion and would likely peak popcorn sales ;)

How can a magazine be part of/own/sponsor a shop ... goes completely against the principle of unbiased journalism.

By definition they now have a vested interest in any review they do!

totally agree, advertising revenue is a huge part of their income stream - they've never been able to be objective about bike from xxx brand when there was a xxx brand spread on the back cover.

maybe the answer is that they're not really a magazine, but a catalogue with some stories inbetween.

Part of running an online shop is ensuring that the information on the site is correct, and specific. Allow me to clarify - you have the Truvativ Holzfeller listed on your site, available in 2 colours - black, and white (showing the 2012 versions). Both are listed with prices and "buy" buttons.

The description below the image says "730mm width, 20 and 30mm rises" - the options next to the buy buttons simply list "700 / white" and "700 / black"... so which rise am I buying? Is it indeed 730mm wide, or is it 700mm wide? Do you in fact even have the 2012 bars in stock, since AFAIK they haven't arrived in the country yet (I have emailed the supplier before to try and get these bars), and if that's the case why are they listed on the site?

I've also emailed Rush Sports not too long ago to enquire about the bars, but have not had a response.

Not very inspiring stuff I'm afraid.

@the_wes: your point is extremely valid. Not to excuse this, but if I may just mention that managing an inventory of in excess of 10000 items is no easy task, there are various opportunities for errors such as this to arrise, and that is why we have methods and channels of communication open to resolve these. What is more concerning is that you emailed us and you did not get a response on this, and for this I sincerely apologise! Please drop me a PM or email with your details and I'll be sure to get back to you personally!