All things Colnago

StevieL

Hi guys and Colnago masters...

What can you guys tell me about this bike?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Colnago%20Conic_zpsydxzb33m.jpg

I can tell you that I'd want it if you don't?  :ph34r:

Looks like a 90's Superissimo if I am not mistaken.

Edited by Badsam

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you that I'd want it if you don't? :ph34r:

Maybe an early Conic before they got the straight forks?

Yep, early 90's Nago shod with very entry level Campagnolo groupset from the throwaway Triomphe/Athena era. Groupset quickly discontinued and Chorus introduced. The frame is red so will have some appeal if in reasonable condition. The stem would have been a rare find were it not so scuffed!

Hi guys and Colnago masters...

What can you guys tell me about this bike?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/Colnago%20Conic_zpsydxzb33m.jpg

Might be way off, but frame looks like a Master Piu, the non centric top tube cable guides.

Forks! Not sure. Maybe early MPs didn't havr straight forks, or forks are not original.

Pro cyclist in the 50-60's. I have seen stems and seat pins branded Barale but not a bike before. No doubt a commemorative decal by Colnago in the early 90's. Lower grade Nago's were being manufactured by smaller co. under licence at that time if my memory services me correctly and could explain decal.

I can tell you that I'd want it if you don't?  :ph34r:

Colnago C96

post-1099-0-02488300-1443823930_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am more of a Retro steel frame fanatic but this Alu Colnago was advertised at a steal with a full 9 speed Veloce groupset and beautiful Ambrosio rims with Campagnolo hubs so I couldn't resist. It is a Colnago Chic (Alu frame with Flash Carbon fork). The owner says that he bought the bike from Alan van Heerden about 10 years ago who in his opinion was the Colnago agent at the time. The bike has been standing on an indoor trainer for the last five years (even still has the trainer tyre on). Can you Colnago fundis let me in on how to measure the frame size on this Colnago. I checked online but everyone seems to have a different opinion.post-51655-0-67676800-1447660808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eppie

I am more of a Retro steel frame fanatic but this Alu Colnago was advertised at a steal with a full 9 speed Veloce groupset and beautiful Ambrosio rims with Campagnolo hubs so I couldn't resist. It is a Colnago Chic (Alu frame with Flash Carbon fork). The owner says that he bought the bike from Alan van Heerden about 10 years ago who in his opinion was the Colnago agent at the time. The bike has been standing on an indoor trainer for the last five years (even still has the trainer tyre on). Can you Colnago fundis let me in on how to measure the frame size on this Colnago. I checked online but everyone seems to have a different opinion.attachicon.gifColnagoChic.jpg

Yip, it's true that Alan was the Colnago agent for a number of years. The geometry on that bike is known as the Freuler geometry which was available in the bigger frame sizes. They basically took a 62cm(for example) frame and welded the top tube a few cm lower down. This supposedly made the frame stiffer. To measure it you would measure the top tube along the imaginary line where you think the top tube should be located.

Agreed. Measure middle of crank axle to top of seat tube. Measure top tube from +-1cm from top of seat tube to middle of headset. This will give you a fairly accurate measurement. I use it with sloping top tube bikes too.

Yip, it's true that Alan was the Colnago agent for a number of years. The geometry on that bike is known as the Freuler geometry which was available in the bigger frame sizes. They basically took a 62cm(for example) frame and welded the top tube a few cm lower down. This supposedly made the frame stiffer. To measure it you would measure the top tube along the imaginary line where you think the top tube should be located.

Thanks for this Javadude, I read up on the Freuler Geometry very interesting.

Thanks for this Javadude, I read up on the Freuler Geometry very interesting.

Named after Urs Freuler, the Tom Selleck of cycling :-)

Hows the head tube on his Colnago?

post-1099-0-90226500-1447751506_thumb.jpeg

Edited by javadude

Nice frame and wheels.

Freulein Geometry!!

http://www.fatbmx.com/uploads2/user_Bart/2006_07/wk30/pin_up_colnago_blonde.jpg

Say no more that is a really nice frame.