Attempted Hijack

blacksmith

Hi all,

I was almost hijacked while on a cycle in the Stellenbosch area this morning. It was on the R44 on the way to Klapmuts/Paarl, just past the Franschhoek/Helshoogte turnoff at Cloetesville. Three men approached me, but I managed to turn around and get out of there. They ran after me, but I was luckily in the right gear at the time.

I went directly to the Stellenbosch police station, warning oncoming cyclist on the way. Please be aware of this area! These guys are full of tik

Hi all,

I was almost hijacked while on a cycle in the Stellenbosch area this morning. It was on the R44 on the way to Klapmuts/Paarl, just past the Franschhoek/Helshoogte turnoff at Cloetesville. Three men approached me, but I managed to turn around and get out of there. They ran after me, but I was luckily in the right gear at the time.

I went directly to the Stellenbosch police station, warning oncoming cyclist on the way. Please be aware of this area! These guys are full of tik

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Glad to hear you are ok though and you have your bike still. Im curious though, how did you know they "were full of tik"?

Thanks. Its just an assumption and I was pretty shaken by the ordeal when I posted this. But, by the way they walked and acted it was clear that they were not sober. And tik is quite a common issue around these parts.

That is a hot spot.

I was chased in that zone a few years ago.

It was winter training and I got away, just.

Just heard the brush of a hand on my rain jacket. Close call!

Glad that you made it out unscathed :thumbup:

I assume that this was there near the blocks of flats? (not Kayamandi side)

Glad that you made it out unscathed :thumbup:

I assume that this was there near the blocks of flats? (not Kayamandi side)

Yip, R44...

Just before the apartments is a brush of trees. The dudes hang out there.

Ja, strangely enough these guys were just walking along the sidewalk. I think when they saw me they they thought of taking a chance.

So please take care guys.

Glad you'r "ok" bud.

Was cycling with my group when 2 guys and a lady came past us on Saturday heading back on Botlary- they gave us a nice "tow". The lady told me that their friend just informed them that his father was involved in an attempted/hijack while cycling near Wellington- anyone have more details on this as the info available at that stage was very sketchy. Apparently the hijackers were in a vehicle and stopped him and held him at gun point :eek:

Edited by Reg Lizard

Do all you oes in the Cape cycle alone?

Safety in numbers...

There are many solo riders here in the Western Cape...

Conditions are good for that.

Every now and then there's an incident which is becoming more and more prevalent.

Sh*t man!

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Glad you're OK. I aslo have a friend who has been chased by a couple of dudes as he passed Cloetesville on his way to Stellenbosch coming from Welgevonden.

Looks like it is indeed a hot spot there....