Capestorm<Sportsmans Warehouse

pbp2007

I bought a couple of (cycling) items at Capestorm Wynberg today and noticed - besides the store looking a little, er, empty - that my till slip had "Sportsmans Warehouse" printed on the back.

An online search revealed the story at http://www.holdsport...capestorm-brand

And another thing I didn't notice earlier from my head-in-sand position is that First Ascent is also part of the Sportsmans/Outdoor Warehouse/group.

I am probably the last person on earth to realise all this.

Given that the other 500 lb gorilla is Cape Union Mart*, how long before we see K-Way cycling gear... or have I missed that, too?

* After all, Capestorm founder Andrew Baxter moved to C.U.M. to take charge of their tech clothing.

A couple of corrections.

Andrew Baxter was not a founding member of Capestorm.

He also no longer works for CUM.

First Ascent, Capestorm and Nathan are now falling under the holding company "Performance Brands".

Holdsport owns Performance Brands, Sportsmans Warehouse etc.

Sportsmans warehouse bought Capestorm Wynberg and Bryanston. I am led to believe that all other Capestorm retail shops closed yesterday.

Sportsmans warehouse bought Capestorm Wynberg and Bryanston. I am led to believe that all other Capestorm retail shops closed yesterday.

Find this sad... Some of my CS stuff is the best out. But I found, from about 2yrs or so ago that I much preferred FA, because of fit, performance, style and availability.

And damn, I hope that burglar and the buggers buying from him got good use out of my CS jacket (and the Mtn Designs sleeping bag & Goretex jacket I can't see my way to replace).

But, sad to see what was a great company go this way.

Find this sad... Some of my CS stuff is the best out. But I found, from about 2yrs or so ago that I much preferred FA, because of fit, performance, style and availability.

And damn, I hope that burglar and the buggers buying from him got good use out of my CS jacket (and the Mtn Designs sleeping bag & Goretex jacket I can't see my way to replace).

But, sad to see what was a great company go this way.

Yeah true, obviously commercial ambitions come into play and sometimes Corporate take overs can inject extra capital for new products etc, but sometimes Corporates dont understand smaller niche businesses either, never the less, I always feel whenever a company is taken over and forms part of some corporate structure things do change, of course the Corporate will say for the better, but I think that's a matter of opinion, I tend to disagree.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Thats disappointing, so I am assuming the one in the Bedford centre in Gauteng here closed yesterday.?

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

... and so I answer my own question.

In C.U.M. this morning I spotted some cycling tops branded K-bike. I was in too much of a hurry to see if there were matching shorts.

Izzypzee: Andrew Baxter's LinkedIn profile describes him as founder of Capestorm.

Izzypzee: Andrew Baxter's LinkedIn profile describes him as founder of Capestorm.

and the story round the campfire is that the good Dr. started the whole thing in his garage.

Our goverment department recieved a shipment of CS gear last week and we were informed that company had changed hands. All I can see happening now is that the CS products will still be available in SW from now on. It would be foolish to end the brand as lots of people are brand loyal. I have bought some CS cycling jerseys lately and it seems as if the waist and arm banding wears out quickly and your jersey sags alot. Lets hope this takeover injects some new ideas and quality into FA and CS brands. The prices always seem to be increasing but quality not.

Our goverment department recieved a shipment of CS gear last week and we were informed that company had changed hands. All I can see happening now is that the CS products will still be available in SW from now on. It would be foolish to end the brand as lots of people are brand loyal. I have bought some CS cycling jerseys lately and it seems as if the waist and arm banding wears out quickly and your jersey sags alot. Lets hope this takeover injects some new ideas and quality into FA and CS brands. The prices always seem to be increasing but quality not.

Dont expect that to change much with a corporate take over. They mostly look at the bottom line a little more carefully than private operators.

To clarify a few important points if I may:

A new company called "Performance Brands" was formed and became official on 1 March. This company owns First Ascent, Capestorm and distribution rights of Nathan product in Southern Africa.

Moresport owns Sportsmans Warehouse and Outdoor Warehouse.

Holdsport is a listed holding company that owns both Performance Brands and Moresport.

Lets focus on Performance Brands. Distribution and warehousing will be one function for all three brands. This will hopefully innprove the way Capestorm and Nathan is distributed throughout SA. The idea is to have this function run as well as the current First Ascent operation, which I believe is exciting news.

Design and marketing functions will be separate to ensure all the brands maintain its unique identities. Brand loyalty is to be respected in our market place. This renewed focus should lead to more and better product hitting stores in time and price points remaining competitive. Both First Ascent and Capestorm cycling ranges have grown with the market and also due to market support. The idea is to obviously have this trend continue and to be even more competitive.

<p>Sportsmans Warehouse has taken over the day to day operations of the Capestorm stores in Wynberg and Bryanston.

To clarify a few important points if I may:

A new company called "Performance Brands" was formed and became official on 1 March. This company owns First Ascent, Capestorm and distribution rights of Nathan product in Southern Africa.

Moresport owns Sportsmans Warehouse and Outdoor Warehouse.

Holdsport is a listed holding company that owns both Performance Brands and Moresport.

Lets focus on Performance Brands. Distribution and warehousing will be one function for all three brands. This will hopefully innprove the way Capestorm and Nathan is distributed throughout SA. The idea is to have this function run as well as the current First Ascent operation, which I believe is exciting news.

Design and marketing functions will be separate to ensure all the brands maintain its unique identities. Brand loyalty is to be respected in our market place. This renewed focus should lead to more and better product hitting stores in time and price points remaining competitive. Both First Ascent and Capestorm cycling ranges have grown with the market and also due to market support. The idea is to obviously have this trend continue and to be even more competitive.

<p>Sportsmans Warehouse has taken over the day to day operations of the Capestorm stores in Wynberg and Bryanston.

Sounds like a big shpoon of marketing shlop to me.

But then the rag trade and marketing kind of fit together.

and the story round the campfire is that the good Dr. started the whole thing in his garage.

It is indeed true MR Baxter did start CS from his garage is a founding member and yes K-Way(kwaai) :clap: is doing the whole shebang including shorts, jerseys, waterproof jackets etc...as for cape storm its a damn shame.

Johann, am I to deduct from your response that it is better to leave questions unanswered opposed to being trasparent and stating the facts?

Johann, am I to deduct from your response that it is better to leave questions unanswered opposed to being trasparent and stating the facts?

No.

The first bit of your post was factual, but this:

"Design and marketing functions will be separate to ensure all the brands maintain its unique identities. Brand loyalty is to be respected in our market place. This renewed focus should lead to more and better product hitting stores in time and price points remaining competitive. Both First Ascent and Capestorm cycling ranges have grown with the market and also due to market support. The idea is to obviously have this trend continue and to be even more competitive. "

.....was what nearly put my Sunday lunch all over the screen.

I have been a loyal Cape Storm customer over the years and I guess I'm just pissed off that my brand of choice has been messed with. Nothing personal.