RANT: PPA CSA and bloody organizers taking the P*** out of cyclists again

covie

Last year the timing and orginisation in general was quite second rate. Just search for vigne a vigne on here.

I was rather pissed off last year as my wife put in the effort to beat the cut off for the 50km race only to find that the marshals at the finish line had all quite there post to go and watch the EPIC riders come in. She did not get her finishers medal. Now I know the medal is not the issue its the fact that they abandoned there post and the times were not recorded. The hole timing issue was also a disaster.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's part of the Epic FInale, then the race is organised by Grandstand Management. Hence the price.

I hope they get their ducks in a row for those entering this year - last year there was effectively no finish line and no results.

Consider you pay R350 to enter the Comrades marathon. That is just under R4 per km, or, if you take the full 12 hours, 48 cents per minute (@Eugene, this is value for your seconds). It has full road closure. And then there is the "catering" and the medics (stats from 2009):

• 46 Refreshment Tables
  • 1350 litres of Coke & Cream Soda
  • 350,000 sachets of Powerade
  • 5000 sachets of Mageu
  • 1,100,000 sachets of water
  • 5,4 tons of bananas
  • 448 pockets of oranges
  • 1 ton of Chocolates
  • 2 tons of baby potatoes
  • 400kgs biscuits
  • 400,000 plastic bottles
  • 2500 litter bins
  • 750 tubes of Deep Heat

Health care stats:

• 16 Netcare 911 ambulances equipped with satellite tracking
  • 6 Netcare 911 rapid response vehicles with advanced life support paramedics
  • 4 Netcare 911 motorbikes (quads) with paramedics
  • 1 dedicated helicopter
  • 1 standby helicopter
  • 8 medical first aid stations on route staffed by professional nurses and paramedical staff. These stations incorporate diabetic stations where blood sugar levels can be tested.
  • 8 physio stations on route staffed by qualified physios and 3rd year physio students
  • Medical tent at the finish staffed by 40 doctors and 20 nurses, including a 2-bed fully equipped ICU-type resuscitation unit
  • An emergency resuscitation unit at the finish line
  • St John’s Ambulance tent at the finish to attend to minor discomforts, provide rub downs, strapping and massages
  • Physio tent at the finish
  • Public first aid tent

Now that's value for money!!!

I think early bird entries were R270 for this year and we get a Reebok moisture management shirt, a goody bag & an expo. I guess economies of scale help (R18000 entrants) and loads of sponsors/partners who want to be associated with the race.

Last year the timing and orginisation in general was quite second rate. Just search for vigne a vigne on here.

Yup timing has been a ballsup from day one of this race. It is not done by Racetec, they use a manual system and last year at some stage Manual had enough and went home without taking down the times of the slowbees that has been out there the whole day. Oh and the start was delayed with 15minutes.

So the results will not show in your Racetec results and it does nothing for your PPA seeding.

Having said all that, it is a pretty lekka route, well marked with an awesome atmosphere an yummy food, beer & music at the finish!

the whole vigne a vigne timing fiasco last year was a disappointment. the family did enjoy the day out though, ie, spur kids races, shows, aerobatics and all that, plus burry and the flying sauser winning the cherry on top. so we going again.