The actual Price of a 100k vehicle

ERNIE-BOY

what are you actually paying'''

Consider the following

If a manufacture makes a car for R100k..(every cost in manufacturing covered)

take this advice into account..(1) 40% tax on manufacturing. (2) 14% vat when buying at the dealer. (3) 3% tax on emmisions....then you opt for bank finance..(4) on the road cost R4500..(5) bank initial charge r1300..(6) and at last your 10% interest on the final amount...

so you are actually looking to pay off R170k over 60 months..which amounts to R3900p/m plus R750 insurance..and a R1500 petrol bill...

Thats why I stick to my bike...

I bought my car for R170k-ish... About 6 years ago. My mate, the pilot, bought the same car, at the same time, to leave at his place in Dubai, for when he stayed over there.

He paid, new, as well, less than 9000Euro. At the exchange rate then, it made the car he bought around R70k (or more) cheaper than mine.

Ask us again about the price of cars...

Edited by TNT1

I bought my car for R170k-ish... About 6 years ago. My mate, the pilot, bought the same car, at the same time, to leave at his place in Dubai, for when he stayed over there.

He could probably also leave it constantly running during the day, with the aircon on, and still pay less in petrol per month.

He could probably also leave it constantly running during the day, with the aircon on, and still pay less in petrol per month.

Yeah, but the point is, the car is a full import, both here and in Dubai. Why are we paying nearly double?

Yeah, but the point is, the car is a full import, both here and in Dubai. Why are we paying nearly double?

Same reason we pay 50% more for imported clothing: to prop up an inefficient local industry that would die if exposed to a free market.

Edited by Edman

what are you actually paying'''

Consider the following

If a manufacture makes a car for R100k..(every cost in manufacturing covered)

take this advice into account..(1) 40% tax on manufacturing. (2) 14% vat when buying at the dealer. (3) 3% tax on emmisions....then you opt for bank finance..(4) on the road cost R4500..(5) bank initial charge r1300..(6) and at last your 10% interest on the final amount...

so you are actually looking to pay off R170k over 60 months..which amounts to R3900p/m plus R750 insurance..and a R1500 petrol bill...

Thats why I stick to my bike...

You forgot the toll fee

The same reason a VW is cheaper in the UK then here, yet we manufacture the bloody things here.

yup toyota runx was cheaper in aus than here and it was manufactured here and exported to them

There are very few choices for transport so cars are the order of the day so unless there are alternatives people will charge what other people will pay.

There are very few choices for transport so cars are the order of the day so unless there are alternatives people will charge what other people will pay.

Not really, if there is no alternative (and there isnt) people are forced to pay whats demanded.

Can you go without a car.?

I cant, so it makes absolutely no difference what price is charged I am forced to buy at those prices, this is one instance where consumers voting with their wallet is ineffective. Yes we can shop around between models and manufacturers, but all the competing models are so similarly priced its largely a moot point.

I know a few dealers, a huge part of their margin go's to maintaining a massive state of the art glass and stainless steel show room in upscale shopping areas, these expensive properties complete with Italian tile floors and plush leather seating arrangements in my opinion are hardly necessary, but, obviously I am in the minority, as it appears show rooms just keep getting bigger, and better and more expensive, which you and I pay for in the long run anyway.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

This was in the news a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.iol.co.za...in-sa-1.1235367

And the author of the piece is not to be sniffed at...

Interesting article but still not fair - not debating the price of cars but at R149K for an entry level car I guess they used the Toyota Yaris as the benchmark, a very overpriced car.

Was just comparing Australian car prices to local but saw that the i20 is about R30K cheaper in OZ but its a different model to the South African one. Makes it hard to compare apples with pears. But then again in OZ, you don't pay taxes on bakkies or 4x4 so its cheaper to get a Hilux than a normal car