What not to carry on a 20-40km MTB ride... less is more!

Caltrigger

20 to 40km race !!! 2 x water bottles ??

Spare Tube , plug and chain breaker .

2 might be plenty if you going balls to the wall...point!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the 2 bottles, I probably will only use 1 but it sucks when you have no backup. Did a 40km race last year with 1 bottle. Lost the bottle within the first 5km on a downhill and then had to suffer through the whole race without water because there were no waterpoints beyond the 10km mark.

Alternatively make sure you have a very expensive bottle cage :D

i carry two bombs and a tube, if you need something else there will always be a good samaritan to help you out

im philosophical about mechanicals during a race, if something happens that you cant fix its part of the race, but in all the races i have done, i have had one major mechanical that stopped my race (broken derailleur) i think that if you ensure you have good equipment, make sure you have enough sealant in your wheels and choose your lines wisely you sorted for a race.

i carry two bombs and a tube, if you need something else there will always be a good samaritan to help you out

im philosophical about mechanicals during a race, if something happens that you cant fix its part of the race, but in all the races i have done, i have had one major mechanical that stopped my race (broken derailleur) i think that if you ensure you have good equipment, make sure you have enough sealant in your wheels and choose your lines wisely you sorted for a race.

As JKP said before your post, I like to be prepared. I would rather know that I can get myself out of any situation rather that have to rely on a good samaritan to get me home. As far as liquids go, I would rather dump half a litre than run out of liquids with 10km to go. It happened to me twice and I vowed to never let it happen again.

I am a racing snail and I am generally out there to get my money's worth. No single bottle 40km races for me...

As JKP said before your post, I like to be prepared. I would rather know that I can get myself out of any situation rather that have to rely on a good samaritan to get me home. As far as liquids go, I would rather dump half a litre than run out of liquids with 10km to go. It happened to me twice and I vowed to never let it happen again.

I am a racing snail and I am generally out there to get my money's worth. No single bottle 40km races for me...

I used to be the same, but over the last 3 weeks I've trained myself not to need to much.

Camelbak with enough liquids in NOT to suck air as I am a pretend-to-be-dirt-wannabe-roadie-useless-runner, so it allows me to keep my hands on the handlebar.

LOL guys... Ya, I like my CBack and will use it on outrides but lately I can manage with less liquid on a 2hour ride. My whole 20km is less than 4km from home so not a train smash if i cannot fix the mechanical.

Tube

Bombs

Multi tool (CBrothers)

Lever

2 x Master links (quick style)

Sweets

Phone with Endomondo

500ml on bike

500ml on back

Edited by Caltrigger

I used to be the same, but over the last 3 weeks I've trained myself not to need to much.

Funny thing is that on a road bike, I can do 70km with two bottles and still come back with half a bottle (waiting for sarcastic comments from all the roadies...). I reckon it is a mental thing like you say. Just the thought of being in the bush with nobody to rely on but yourself and something going wrong... I have been there before and it isn't nice.

I carry a multitool, small leatherman with pliers, two tubes, tyre levers, two bombs, pump, quicklink, duct tape, cable ties, puncture repair kit, hanger bracket and normaly 2lt liquids. It is a lot, but I aint getting stuck unless I physically can't pedal!

Funny thing is that on a road bike, I can do 70km with two bottles and still come back with half a bottle (waiting for sarcastic comments from all the roadies...). I reckon it is a mental thing like you say. Just the thought of being in the bush with nobody to rely on but yourself and something going wrong... I have been there before and it isn't nice.

I carry a multitool, small leatherman with pliers, two tubes, tyre levers, two bombs, pump, quicklink, duct tape, cable ties, puncture repair kit, hanger bracket and normaly 2lt liquids. It is a lot, but I aint getting stuck unless I physically can't pedal!

Yep, weird! Haven't been on the MTB properly for a while, but a 100km road race can be done on 1 bottle, even though I keep on carrying 2. On MTB events, I never go with less than a half full CB bladder.

Tools/spares: Pump, spare tube, tubeless repair kit, tube repair kit, gator, 3+ bombs, multitool, 2+ gels/goos, cell phone, medical aid card, drivers license. CB weighs an absolute ton, but I'm ready for the bush!

I'm still a tube man so i carry 2 tubes, multi tool, pump, tyre patch in my bag, cell phone and energy bar in my pockets and pump on the bike.

Oh, and the gels, bars and cellphone!

I've ridden for years with a Camelbak....now I'm thinking of ditching it for the 20-40km rides of up to 2.5hours...

What do you guys take with you on a ride other than liquids (2x750ml)?

NOTE: Saddle bags and Cr@p are banned!!! So just what one can fit in a shirt please!!

Multi tool - good one

Tyre levers

Tubless plugs or a tube?

Sweets

Phone

What else??

+1 with the saddle bags been banned!

I've ridden for years with a Camelbak....now I'm thinking of ditching it for the 20-40km rides of up to 2.5hours...

What do you guys take with you on a ride other than liquids (2x750ml)?

NOTE: Saddle bags and Cr@p are banned!!! So just what one can fit in a shirt please!!

Multi tool - good one

Tyre levers

Tubless plugs or a tube?

Sweets

Phone

What else??

If you drink a bottle an hour during a race that is plenty. Slower pace / moderate temperatures you will ride 4 hours on 2 bottles

I carry

- multitool (small one :) )

- plugs

- gater

- 2 bombs and adapter

- tyre levers

- tube

In my back pocket, all tied up with elastic bands in ziplock. For training rides also phone and bucks. If I have a real big problem I'll phone the boss for a lift. Saddle bag does not fit with 2nd bottle otherwise I would use one. If you do just carry your tube in your back pocket. If it is in your saddle bag it will be perished / have holes in it when you need it. For me camelback just wastes time, makes you uncomfortable and hot.

Downside of dumping the camelback is that you won't have extra kit - raincoat, jacket ...

Oh, for stage races add

- pump

- chain breaker and quick links

happened at Sabi x and CPT where team mate flatted and we wouldn't have finished stage without pump. Not an issue in a 1 day event but a disaster in a multi day event