Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Reading Phinney and Volek and Peter Attia, they agree that being fat adapted is like a switch, either on or off. if you consume too much carb or too much protein in one meal or one day you get kicked out of ketosis and it takes 2 weeks to get the fat burning going again. With that in mind I have been at very low carb levels for three months and it was only after 2.5 months that my performance really started to feel great. I think I wrote this in an earlier post.

But it will be interesting to see how the TKD perspective works for you.

Hi Richard

You should read Lyle McDonald's "the ketogenic diet".

He has been experimenting and practising various methods and variations of the Ketogenic diet. He is not agreeing with Volek and Kie that it takes 2 weeks to get back into ketosis. The trick is it seems to keep your liver glycogen low or near empty and just fill your muscle stores with carbs. He gets back into ketosis within 1 or 2 days .

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard

You should read Lyle McDonald's "the ketogenic diet".

He has been experimenting and practising various methods and variations of the Ketogenic diet. He is not agreeing with Volek and Kie that it takes 2 weeks to get back into ketosis. The trick is it seems to keep your liver glycogen low or near empty and just fill your muscle stores with carbs. He gets back into ketosis within 1 or 2 days .

Interesting! I always thought that your liver glycogen stores fills before your muscle glycogen stores. I guess it is different when you take carbs just before and after training. I reckon the theory then is that your muscles soaks up that available glucose and use it immediately

I know that fructose goes straight to liver glycogen and that is why fruit is not a suitable carb post workout for recovery

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I'm going to try catch this tomorrow. should be interesting...

@ProfTimNoakes: UCT Medical School Centenary Debate - LCHF (Noakes) vs Prudent Diet (Rossouw) - live-stream on http://t.co/gsHjXvU8, 18h00 Dec 6th (Thurs).

I'm going to try catch this tomorrow. should be interesting...

@ProfTimNoakes: UCT Medical School Centenary Debate - LCHF (Noakes) vs Prudent Diet (Rossouw) - live-stream on http://t.co/gsHjXvU8, 18h00 Dec 6th (Thurs).

I am definitely going to try and listen as well .

I am definitely going to try and listen as well .

And, here's a correction on the link... (and some more info on the debate)

@ProfTimNoakes: @ProfTimNoakes Correction: Weblink for tomorrow's Centenary debate is http://www.health.uct.ac.za/ Promises a cracker. Could be a "tipping point"?

"CHOLESTEROL IS NOT AN IMPORTANT RISK FACTOR FOR HEART DISEASE AND CURRENT DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD"

The proponent

of the statement Prof Tim Noakes OMS, MBChB, MD, DSc, PhD(hc),FACSM,(hon)FFSEM

Professor Tim Noakes is the Discovery Health Chair of Exercise and Sports Science and Director of the MRC/UCT Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine in the Department of Human Biology at UCT as well as co-founder, with Morné du Plessis, of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa. He is an NRF A1-rated scientist, has an H-index of 60 and has been cited more than 12 500 times in scientific literature. In 2008 he received the Order of Mapungubwe (Silver) from the President of South Africa for his contribution to sport and science and in 2012 the NRF Award for Lifetime Achievement. He is the author of, amongst others, Lore of Running, Waterlogged and Challenging Beliefs.

The opponent to the statement Dr Jacques E Rossouw MBChB, FCP (SA), MD

Dr Rossouw’s earlier career included positions of Professor of Medicine at the University of Stellenbosch and Director of the MRC National Research Institute for Nutritional Diseases. He is a past President of the South African Nutrition Society and past Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee the Heart Foundation of Southern Africa. His research has been in epidemiology and multicenter clinical trials. Since 1989 he has been with the National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health in the USA, where he has been involved in the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) since inception. He has served on the NHLBI National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines for adults and children. In 2006 he was recognised as one of Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people (category of scientists and thinkers).

The moderator Prof Jimmy Volmink

Professor Volmink is the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Stellenbosch University as well as the Director of the South African Cochrane Centre, SA Medical Research Council.

Seating is not reserved.

Please arrive early to avoid disappointment.

Enquiries: Esmari Taylor 021 406 6734 / esmari.taylor@uct.ac.za

Edited by dracs

@Topwine: I am switching over to TKD and need some pointers around it pls. Do i stick with my current keto menu and just add some carbs before and during ride?

How are you going about that?

Hi Jaco

You really should read that chapter in Lyle McDonalds book, as there is no specific amount that is going to work for everybody. You should experiment how much and when works best for you.

I have started cycling 4 years ago mostly to lose weight and get fit. Now with my ketogenic lifestyle, I achieve both goals much more easily and with less exercise effort. So I just stick with a normal KD and keep my carbs low. That is the key to a long healthy life.

Further, I have since learned that too much endurance exercise is not good for you, ie more than 45- 60 min day. Did you know that half of all marthon runners finish with heart damage ? look at his video presentation :

http://vimeo.com/54864015

Edited by Topwine

Thanks for that Towine! I am currently at about 25g trace carbs per day and am thinking of adding some carbs pre or during rides where the pace is a bit higher. I will experiment with that.

Where did you buy Lyle's book? I was looking at it on amazon but it was R1000 without shipping. I am currently waiting for the Art of low carb performance (waiting for more than a month already)

Hi

I have now been on the low carb/paleo diet for 8 weeks and really feel great. I do however have one small problem.....I can't seem to get enough chocolate! Never used to eat many chocolates (maybe one every two weeks), but since I changed my diet I have really bad chocie cravings...daily. It seems to be worse after training (we do between 50 and 70 on Sat and again on Sun). Was wondering if it could be that I am not getting sufficient nutrients/calories? Does anybody have some advise?

Thanks!!

Hi

I have now been on the low carb/paleo diet for 8 weeks and really feel great. I do however have one small problem.....I can't seem to get enough chocolate! Never used to eat many chocolates (maybe one every two weeks), but since I changed my diet I have really bad chocie cravings...daily. It seems to be worse after training (we do between 50 and 70 on Sat and again on Sun). Was wondering if it could be that I am not getting sufficient nutrients/calories? Does anybody have some advise?

Thanks!!

You can eat dark chocolate but only 70% up, recommended 85%. It helps with the craving, but dont buy a big slab. The little one's are fine and try and make one last for a week at least.

Alternative is to make your own "bliss balls" - go here for some awesome Paleo recipes www.eatclean.co.za or www.nomnompaleo.com.

Another recommendation is to get Macadamia or almond butter. A teaspooon of that also helps. Remember to get fat into your diet, good fats that is.

You can eat dark chocolate but only 70% up, recommended 85%. It helps with the craving, but dont buy a big slab. The little one's are fine and try and make one last for a week at least.

Alternative is to make your own "bliss balls" - go here for some awesome Paleo recipes www.eatclean.co.za or www.nomnompaleo.com.

Another recommendation is to get Macadamia or almond butter. A teaspooon of that also helps. Remember to get fat into your diet, good fats that is.

Thanks JPP. I will try the dark chocolate. Think I also need to up my good fat intake to increase calories. Also can't keep my hands of peanut butter, eat it by the spoon full........drool.gif.

If you doing Paleo - peanut butter is not allowed as it is made from a legume. Get Macadamia or Almond butter. You can get it from Dischem....no sugar, just fat, good fat.

If you doing Paleo - peanut butter is not allowed as it is made from a legume. Get Macadamia or Almond butter. You can get it from Dischem....no sugar, just fat, good fat.

You can eat Peanut butter. I eat a lot as well. Just buy the stuff with very little sugar/carbs in .

You can eat Peanut butter. I eat a lot as well. Just buy the stuff with very little sugar/carbs in .

Thanks for the advice. I know that you shouldn't really eat peanut butter according to paleo diet, but I always have some on a banana before training. Will however give the almond / macadamia also a try.

Have you tried Macadamia or Almond butter? You can make your own as well. Divine! drool.gif Especially with a banana

I realised this morning that i have not used my asthma pump in about 4 weeks. The only thing i changed in the last 8 weeks is my diet so i guess that played the major rolethumbup1.gif