Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

You can see my breakdown above! My protein came mostly from mince/chicken/tuna. Carbs came from sweet potato/potato/rice (white and brown) and oats. Apart from the fats in those foods i am taking in extra fats in form of almonds/coconut oil/natural peanut butter/olive oil

200g of carbs seems high, I would blame that for the 4% body fat increase, insulin pushing glucose into fat stores etc.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the thing! I take in about 3.2g of protein per kg bodyweight (78kg). Total macro breakdown is 255g protein/200g carbs/90g fat. I am still keeping the fat high even though bodyfat increased over the last 8 weeks. I am just upping my cardio now since i have not been doing much riding since feb this year. My body's difficulty with fat is just a observation of late. Only thing i have changed from previously is upping fat intake, rest remained constant.

You are eating way too much carbs ! That is your main problem. Of secondary nature is that your protein intake is too much, and your fat intake too little.

I'll give you a tip. Eat a max of 20 grams / day carbs for 2 - 3 weeks, and tell me how you feel after that. During this time only eat about 1.5 - 1.8 grams /kg protein and depending how much weight you want to lose, adjust your fat intake according to your calorie needs. At the moment you eat about 11 000 kJ or 2600 calories, which is high if you are not exercising much.

I forgot to add, of those 20 grams / day of carbs, all of it must come from leafy green vegetables ! NO sugars !

Edited by Topwine

200g of carbs seems high, I would blame that for the 4% body fat increase, insulin pushing glucose into fat stores etc.

200g is actually very low accoriding to the "books" for my activity level. I do gym work and some cardio. Carbs was at 200g for long time and bodyfat was at 6 to 7% till i upped the fat

You are eating way too much carbs ! That is your main problem. Of secondary nature is that your protein intake is too much, and your fat intake too little.

I'll give you a tip. Eat a max of 20 grams / day carbs for 2 - 3 weeks, and tell me how you feel after that. During this time only eat about 1.5 - 1.8 grams /kg protein and depending how much weight you want to lose, adjust your fat intake according to your calorie needs. At the moment you eat about 11 000 kJ or 2600 calories, which is high if you are not exercising much.

I forgot to add, of those 20 grams / day of carbs, all of it must come from leafy green vegetables ! NO sugars !

Thanks for the advise! I like playing with these things and see how body reacts. I am doing weight training and light cardio, just not much riding at all now. How do you manage riding and racing with a keto diet? Also, that transition phase where your body changes over to another source of energy must be a bitch!

200g is actually very low accoriding to the "books" for my activity level. I do gym work and some cardio. Carbs was at 200g for long time and bodyfat was at 6 to 7% till i upped the fat

The problem is with that much carb intake, your body stores that extra fat intake and dont burn it as it is supposed to .

Thanks for the advise! I like playing with these things and see how body reacts. I am doing weight training and light cardio, just not much riding at all now. How do you manage riding and racing with a keto diet? Also, that transition phase where your body changes over to another source of energy must be a bitch!

A Keto diet was used by a couple of our swimmers in the latest olympics... So the myth of a keto diet being out of place for athletes is just that - a myth.

Doing weight training and light cardio is excellent for weight loss.

The transition is tuff, that is why most people will probably fail to do it properly. And if you fail once, you have to start all over again !

I am doing great now. I dont get cravings anymore, am rarely hungry and I am setting record times on my training endurance rides of more than 2 hours including 1000 meters of climbing and I am much less out of breath. It's simple math, once your body is adaptep to burning mostly fats for energy, the cost of oxygen is lower than burning glucose . Nice !

The problem is with that much carb intake, your body stores that extra fat intake and dont burn it as it is supposed to .

What would you suggest my daily calorie intake to be according to the following info:

78kg

weight training 3 times per week

cardio 3 times per week

remember that the "books" are based on the globally accepted version of "healthy diets" which is based on the high carb diet (not super high, but low gi carbs being the predominant energy source)

A high protein (ketone) diet forces the body to convert the fats and proteins into energy, rather than relying on the "easy" energy source that is carbs like potato, wheat, rice etc (starchy foods, in other words)

In a nutshell, though, and based on my (admittedly limited) understanding.

What would you suggest my daily calorie intake to be according to the following info:

78kg

cardio 3 times per week

there is websites and books to show you that. but it depends on how fast you want to lose weight and how much calories your exercises burn.

remember that the "books" are based on the globally accepted version of "healthy diets" which is based on the high carb diet (not super high, but low gi carbs being the predominant energy source)

A high protein (ketone) diet forces the body to convert the fats and proteins into energy, rather than relying on the "easy" energy source that is carbs like potato, wheat, rice etc (starchy foods, in other words)

In a nutshell, though, and based on my (admittedly limited) understanding.

this is mostly true, except for the "high" protein part. Adequate protein is the key word, not high, and that most times means between 1.5 - 2 grams / kg /day . the rest mostly fats and very little carbs

Hey , we actually agree for a change !

ROFL. Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'm in the process of trying to get my wife to accept that the high carb diets may be the way forward. Not easy, especially as she still sees carbs as an essential energy source for high intensity exercise (provincial squash)

I'm changing it slowly, but I can only do so much. As for what she has during the day, that's a different story. Plus - the amount (and cost) of available high protein zero carb snack items is frankly ridiculous. Limited to biltong, chicken breasts, tuna and so on. And cold tuna directly out the can is horrible. Far prefer the readily roasted chicken pieces at ww...

this is mostly true, except for the "high" protein part. Adequate protein is the key word, not high, and that most times means between 1.5 - 2 grams / kg /day . the rest mostly fats and very little carbs

Yep. The "high" was in reference to the increase in protein over a "balanced carb-based" diet.

78kg

cardio 3 times per week

Here is a very nice website with apps as well to help you. Just setup an account.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/