Show us your Power Stats .......

smerds

To stay with the bunch on a climb you just need to put down the same W/kg as the guy next to you. If the 65kg guys is putting down 300W, the 90kg guy needs to produce about 405W.

That's interesting...

:blink:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strava's power configurations are wrong when comparing to actual power readings from a SRM, PT or Quarq unit.

My actual power for Argus was as follows at 61kg:

1min: 464w

5min: 382w

10min: 334w

20min: 311w

60min: 295w

The long intervals of 10min and more were easy to maintain during the race but there not many of them in the race but the short efforts like the 4 and 5min efforts hurt especially at the end of the race like on Chappies and Suikerbossie when you hit them at like 70 and 90km with some fatigue in your legs.

Strava's power configurations are wrong when comparing to actual power readings from a SRM, PT or Quarq unit.

My actual power for Argus was as follows at 61kg:

1min: 464w

5min: 382w

10min: 334w

20min: 311w

60min: 295w

The long intervals of 10min and more were easy to maintain during the race but there not many of them in the race but the short efforts like the 4 and 5min efforts hurt especially at the end of the race like on Chappies and Suikerbossie when you hit them at like 70 and 90km with some fatigue in your legs.

what pm are you using?

I've found they are reasonable for solo rides where there's not much wind (and provided you put in an accurate weight), but are completely nuts when you start including bunch riding and wind.

I found the estimate was within 15% (under and over) for the previous case, but overestimated power by 50% or more for races etc. where there was lots of bunch riding.

Edman you are correct, when I download my own files and then upload to Strava I wish I was pushing those sort of numbers and sometimes wonder why the numbers are so low for the effort. Its a cool app/site thou cause the times are accurate for segments so you can still honestly compare with others.

PS 90kg is brute heavy, I would say lighter riders are 60-70kg.

I consider myself heavy at 77kg

Well then, 96kg puts me in the Incredible Bulk category...

but I got a 3:03 this year and 2:55 last year, so it would be interesting to see my stats (If I had a PM)

Having said that, Chappies is always the end of my wheel sucking...

This will give you an idea on what level you are. These are the indications I was provided to compare myself

by the guys at cadencecycling.co.za

COMPARATIVE WATTS/KG for a 20min average

ENTHUSIAST 2,22

FAIR 2,75

MODERATE 3,29

GOOD 3,82

VERY GOOD 4,44

EXCELLENT 4,98

EXCEPTIONAL 5,51

WORLD CLASS 6,04

That sounds right, when we were rowing if you were achieving 5 or above you were knocking on the door for a world champs medal. Around 6 and you could almost taste it.

Would this 20min ave be balls to the wall or just riding fairly hard?

It would have to be balls, but agreed you cannot blow as you would have to take your ave watts for the 20min. No good taking a section where you worked hard.

Well then, 96kg puts me in the Incredible Bulk category...

but I got a 3:03 this year and 2:55 last year, so it would be interesting to see my stats (If I had a PM)

Having said that, Chappies is always the end of my wheel sucking...

i can relate to the amount of effort you have to put in on the climbs .... i come in at 95kg and did a 3h05 ..... chappies was also the end of the bunch for me :-(

It would have to be balls, but agreed you cannot blow as you would have to take your ave watts for the 20min. No good taking a section where you worked hard.

SSISA is using a MAP Ramp test to determine watts / kg. I would guess this approach is a better control and more accurate accross the spectrum of riders as your output is less of a self-paced affair.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2010/01/how-to-do-a-map-ramp-test/

They are interested in TT performance too (closer to but not quite consistently 'balls to the wall') but generally look at 40km as the duration, not 20 minutes.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

TdF Stage 2 Les Essarts team time trial – Chris Anker Sorensen |Full data - link below

One file that’s well worth taking a look at is the stage 2 team time trial. Chris Anker Sorensen (67kg) averaged 372 watts (396 normalized power) for 25:15. Sorensen rode on the front eight times at an average of 454 watts per pull. He led the team for five minutes and was “recovering” in the team slipstream for 20 minutes. His average watts while resting measured 336 watts.

If you were to turn this time trial into a race simulation workout you’d have to do eight, 30-60 second intervals at 120 percent of threshold, separated by 2-minute lower intensity efforts at 85 percent of threshold power.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/saxo-bank-sungard/2011-tour-de-france/stage-2-team-time-trial.aspx