Show us your Power Stats .......

smerds

SSISA is using a MAP Ramp test to determine watts / kg. I would guess this approach is a better control and more accurate accross the spectrum of riders as your output is less of a self-paced affair.

http://www.cyclingti...-map-ramp-test/

They are interested in TT performance too (closer to but not quite consistently 'balls to the wall') but generally look at 40km as the duration, not 20 minutes.

To be honest I am not sure the ideal way to do it in a cycling situation. It worked extremely well in rowing as our races are short. 6:00 - 7:00min so we could go flat out and get an average wattage. from there it is very simple to divide by weight and compare with athletes around the world.

Cycling is different in length and intensity, so what test would you use as standard? But the figures in that table resemble exactly what we would use in rowing.

Problem I have with a ramp test is first its designed to find VO2, second it doesn't really tell you if you are fit enough to win a race or tt at any particular level. where if you time trial 20mins and take an average, it gives you a far more accurate idea of where you are.

Also regarding the spectrum of riders and self pacing. It will be very clear that if you can't pace yourself to your max over 20min, you won't win a international medal.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ramp test is not just a V02 test, also produces PPO not just V02. Its a accurate test and well used to determine factors like PPO, V02, Crossover, LT to name a few.

Ramp test is not just a V02 test, also produces PPO not just V02. Its a accurate test and well used to determine factors like PPO, V02, Crossover, LT to name a few.

PPO? peak power output? and lactic threshold. I am not dissing the test I have done many. The point was in reference to the watts per kg and the 20min test, also the table that was provided. I still maintain that the test would need to be done as a time trial and the average watts used if you want to compare yourself to elite athletes.

Well then, 96kg puts me in the Incredible Bulk category...

but I got a 3:03 this year and 2:55 last year, so it would be interesting to see my stats (If I had a PM)

Having said that, Chappies is always the end of my wheel sucking...

Wow that is impressive for that weight. Were you with the bunch then over Boyes

This will give you an idea on what level you are. These are the indications I was provided to compare myself

by the guys at cadencecycling.co.za

COMPARATIVE WATTS/KG for a 20min average

ENTHUSIAST 2,22

FAIR 2,75

MODERATE 3,29

GOOD 3,82

VERY GOOD 4,44

EXCELLENT 4,98

EXCEPTIONAL 5,51

WORLD CLASS 6,04

These values are ones that were published by Dr. Andrew Coggan for functional threshold power (maximum power that can be sustained for a 1hr time trial).

The 20min test is one of the ways of estimating FTP (FTP is taken as 95% of the power in a 20min test). Coggan rates MAP testing as providing an equivalent estimate for FTP as the 20min test method.

You can read how Coggan compiled the list, as well as see lists for maximum power over 5min, 1min and 5s here:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-profiling.aspx

92kg 1.87m: 2h56 Argus with the first B's. Basically just had to focus at Edinburgh, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

Avg HR 156. Max speed only 69 kmph.

The weight and 11-tooth was a big advantage closing the gaps going down Smiths and Suikerbossie. ;-)

The rest as they say was a breeze!

PPO? peak power output? and lactic threshold. I am not dissing the test I have done many. The point was in reference to the watts per kg and the 20min test, also the table that was provided. I still maintain that the test would need to be done as a time trial and the average watts used if you want to compare yourself to elite athletes.

Yes Peak Power and Threshold. I agree with what you say but I just wanted to say that the test does not only predecit V02, there alot of other parameters its produces. 20min test is good but alot of the time your PPO/V02 test is close to 15-20min in length on average so the numbers are there regardless if you go and hammer a 20min hill for FTP and then x by 95%. Often numbers are the same.

Edited by Cv2

@BrownArran: SRM:for interest sake,when I jumped across to the break just before Suikerbossie during Cape Argus-1min power was 11.44 watts/kg(860 watts).

For interest sake: That was then followed by a 7min effort up Suikerbossie at (446 watts) right after that

Well my Argus averages:

Weight 100KG

Time 3:28

Average Power: 217

Max Power :822

Going up Edenburg power between 300 - 450 watt

Well my Argus averages:

Weight 100KG

Time 3:28

Average Power: 217

Max Power :822

Going up Edenburg power between 300 - 450 watt

In all of this is the weight of the bike etc added in?

never used a powermeter but might try it.

Edited by wapad

92kg 1.87m: 2h56 Argus with the first B's. Basically just had to focus at Edinburgh, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

Avg HR 156. Max speed only 69 kmph.

The weight and 11-tooth was a big advantage closing the gaps going down Smiths and Suikerbossie. ;-)

The rest as they say was a breeze!

well done ......

my arverage heart rate was seriously high and i also ride an 11 tooth but goes all the way up to a 28 tooth ...... still did not help me to get up chappies with the group;

In all of this is the weight of the bike etc added in?

Usually W/kg figures are quoted in terms of body weight only.

If you want to compare predicted climbing speeds and so on, you'd need to use total weight (including bike etc.)

@BrownArran: SRM:for interest sake,when I jumped across to the break just before Suikerbossie during Cape Argus-1min power was 11.44 watts/kg(860 watts).

For interest sake: That was then followed by a 7min effort up Suikerbossie at (446 watts) right after that

I grinched just reading that.

Gutsy stuff that.

My theory is that his SRM is broken but that is just me...heheheh

I grinched just reading that.

Gutsy stuff that.

My theory is that his SRM is broken but that is just me...heheheh

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/powerprofiling.jpg

Jip.....I know that table all too well.

I can do the 5min and 20min stuff up to "Very good" i.e. Cat 2 stuff.

The 1min stuf I barely make Cat5 "Fair"

Ouch!!!

Fortunately I don't get paid to ride a bike otherwise I would have had to revert back to Jigelo freelancing. :wacko: