Groupset options

Hearts*

Whatever you decide to do, it's a good idea to get your derailleur hanger (the Alu bit attaches to the frame and that the rear derailleur screws into) raligned. It is almost certainly bent after your mishap, so it will either need to be realigned (with a tool like the one from Park - most bike shops should have this in the workshop) or replaced. Even if replaced, it would be good to get the new one aligned.

If you don't get the hanger alignment right, no derailleur is going to change nicely.

Edited by ZeroPlay

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you decide to do, it's a good idea to get your derailleur hanger (the Alu bit attaches to the frame and that the rear derailleur screws into) raligned. It is almost certainly bent after your mishap, so it will either need to be realigned (with a tool like the one from Park - most bike shops should have this in the workshop) or replaced. Even if replaced, it would be good to get the new one aligned.

If you don't get the hanger alignment right, no derailleur is going to change nicely.

+1000

I see some Campag recomendations here. Just remember, you will have to change your wheelset as well, unless you are going 10 speed Campag. There are a couple of manufacturers that make Campag cassettes that will fit a Shimano wheel, but they only make 10speed and not the newer 11 speed. Campag parts are hideously expensive, unless you support the overseas online shops.

Also consider Microshift. A Hubber was selling them new for R3 500 (shifters, front and rear deraileurs). They are 100% Shimano compatable and are lighter than Dura Ace. The shifters and rear deraileurs are carbon so they look really cool. You will at least have something very different as well.

I'm running a combo of 105 RD and TT shifters on my Bianchi TT bike with Record cranks (only because the Campag TT shifters are really difficult to source), Record chain and cluster. Must be honest, I was a bit skeptical having "dodgy" 105 mixed with the Campag, but I'm damn impressed - that 105RD shifts really cleanly and it is at least on par with the 2007 Record RD it replaced....

People please stop telling him to go Campag !!!!

Shimano is the only way to go - We are talking about fishing ??