Pyga Tig (xc/marathon)

seahorse

10 hours ago, seahorse said:

Hi - Anyone had any experience with the new Pyga Tig?

Swiss Army knife, can build it up for XC/marathon, trail or a mix and it’ll be a fast performer on all of it. Phil Buys won Buffelsdrift on one.

In many ways it reminds me of the original Pyga 110, but a bit more lively and responsive to pedal input. It’s not the lightest on builds but no where near the heaviest either. 

2 hours ago, ajnkzn said:

Similar but uniquely different. Seat and head angles are different to the Mobu, the Mobu also has a geometry flip chip.

I was in the market for a new bicycle end of last year and considered the Tig. Took one for a demo ride at my local trail. The handling and suspension was really impressive on the downhill single track and any technical areas. Unfortunately due to setup being on the heavy side it was really slow on the hills. 
My biggest concern was the price. To get to a competitive weight setup is extremely expensive. I didn’t buy into the whole Pyga brand that they want you to be a part of. Similar to people riding Harley’s. I managed to find a one year old full carbon top of the range component bicycle for half the price of the Pyga. It’s a lot lighter, faster and more fun. 
Not sure who buys these bikes but definitely not for the wise South African local who earns Rands. 

Wanted to add. Imported bicycles like the Trek Slash are cheaper than the Tig. 
Cannondale had a great sale end of last year. Titan offers fantastic value. I hope for Pyga’s sake they are exporting and selling in the USA. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have both a Tig LT (135/140mm) and a Hyrax (140/150mm). They appear to be close to each other, but in reality, they are two different bikes. I would place them on opposite sides of the trail bike spectrum. I mention this because most people would ask me about the difference between these two.

My experience with Pyga bikes is that they pedal well compared to other bikes in the same category. Also, if you look at the starting prices and compare the components with those of other brands (specialized, trek, scott etc) they are cheaper.

I have had great service from Knipe and Pyga even when something goes wrong, which is rare.

If anyone is looking to buy a Pyga, they are one of the few brands that still have demos and I would encourage you to take one for a ride. They are not for everyone, but they are great bikes, and if they work for you, then you'll not easily buy something else. 

Edited by Tiaan