[Event] Darling Brew Extreme DBX 2022

Events Bot

Event Name: Darling Brew Extreme DBX 2022
When: 28/05/2022
Where: Darling Brew Tasteroom, , Darling, Darling, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

DBX is one of the most anticipated single-day MTB races in the Western Cape, featuring a variety of epic routes beginning and ending at Darling Brew. Each year, we offer Mountain Bike enthusiasts the opportunity to cycle beautiful and otherwise inaccessible routes around the West Coast hamlet of Darling at their own time and pace. 

DBX truly has something for everyone, from experienced MTB riders to novices and youngsters. Additionally, the event hosts and sponsors band together to bring riders and spectators alike a day to remember, with music, good eats, and treats available in family-friendly surroundings at the Darling Brew Tasteroom, as well as the opportunity to taste the wide range of Darling Brew craft beers and beverages.

DATE:

Saturday, 28 May 2022

TIME: 

06:30 - 18:00

DB Tasteroom - Darling (48 Caledon Street, Darling, Western Cape, South Africa).

#DBX2022 ROUTES & TICKETS:

Please note that the routes will provisionally be the same as DBX2021, however, due to the event taking place at the end of May, there may be some adjustment to the routes. Please note provisional routes can be viewed and downloaded here or viewed below.

🐢 Slow Beer MTB - 20km R 250 (Early Bird R230)

Slow Beer is our DBX2021 beginner's and family-friendly 20km route. This short route will still take you onto the trails and get you sweating, but can still be fun for the whole family to enjoy.

🦎 Light Lager MTB + E-bike - 40 km R 300 (Early Bird R270)

Light Lager is our 40km route which requires a reasonable amount of fitness, recommended for our brave novices, trail enthusiasts, and those working towards the more challenging routes. Expect some beautiful views along this ride!

☠️ BoneCrusher MTB + E-bike - 60 km R 360 (Early Bird R320)

BoneCrusher MTB & E-BIKE follow the same classic 60km that makes sure to see Darling from every angle and give participants access to private farmlands, reserves, and mountains that are not always accessible to the public. 

🦏 Warlord MTB - 80km R 400 (Early Bird R350)

Warlord is the BIG oke. This route has some serious climbs, single tracks, and spectacular scenery. It will test and delight you in equal measures.

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jenette said:

Anyone done this before? How technical is the 80km route? 

I have done 3 of these events. Didn’t find this route too technical. The 80km has a lot of climbing, be ready to climb. Found each one quite enjoyable. 

Where do you generally ride, maybe I can use those routes to give some perspective?

I've done the 60km and it wasn't technical at all. I'm pretty much a roadie and was able to do it without hopping off. There is a fair amount of singletrack which made overtaking tricky and sometimes impossible,

It was however a tough race. So tough I had to stop for a beer at the last waterpoint 😅

Hi

i would say not technical at all. 

Last year was very wet and it made the going pretty tough. I did the 60km and I was pretty knackered at the end. I suspect a much easier ride in the dry. 

14 hours ago, Dappere said:

I have done 3 of these events. Didn’t find this route too technical. The 80km has a lot of climbing, be ready to climb. Found each one quite enjoyable. 

Where do you generally ride, maybe I can use those routes to give some perspective?

I survived Imbuko, so I feel that anything will be easier :D haha! Ready to climb :) 

I normally ride Tokai and Helderberg, but have been trying to put in more mileage at Jonkershoek... 

9 hours ago, Mike Mac said:

Hi

i would say not technical at all. 

Last year was very wet and it made the going pretty tough. I did the 60km and I was pretty knackered at the end. I suspect a much easier ride in the dry. 

Thanks for this! 

• 1 year later...

Great race. Great vibe. I'll be there again. This race is suitable for everyone, not technical at all.

Friendly reminder: make very sure your sealant is topped up before the race. If not, expect trouble.

... and I got COVID at the registration at last year's event. That and the thorns have given me negative associations with this ride which I've always enjoyed 

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Which is a better ride to do? This one or Ride Darling?

I was at Living Colour(Ride darling) over the weekend. it's incredible what they have created there.

I'm not going to pick either as being better, they are probably both great rides. DBX will no doubt be a bigger affair as it's been going longer but there's something special about the posse they've created at Living Colour that you might enjoy being at before it gets huge.

21 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Which is a better ride to do? This one or Ride Darling?

Ride Darling has the lekker Trails at Wolwefontein and '!kwatthu 

The organizers of Ride Darling used to organize the DBX, but after the brewery was sold they broke away and started a new event, the Ride Darling. 

I can't speak for others, but I'll do Ride Darling. 

33 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Ride Darling has the lekker Trails at Wolwefontein and '!kwatthu 

The organizers of Ride Darling used to organize the DBX, but after the brewery was sold they broke away and started a new event, the Ride Darling. 

I can't speak for others, but I'll do Ride Darling. 

Wasn't going to mention that!

I'd say support both if you can, seems like good value for what you'll get. I can't make the one and am keen to squeeze the other in - we have a beachhouse nearby so i'm a semi local. Just be warned, one of them clashes with this king's condonation thing and part of my family are making weird plans about it. riding might be a good plan.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:24 PM, cadenceblur said:

The 2023 event is coming up, anyone perhaps have the gpx ride file for the 80km route?

Here is the GPX file from the 2022 event. TIP: double/tripple the amount of sealant in your tires and take 3 large bombs and probably a HV hand pump if you can.

activity_8908568696.gpx