Best Mountain biking Town in SA?

neildp

Anyone that said either Pretoria or Johannesburg either has severe brain damage or they have never travelled outside Gauteng's borders with a bicycle on the bike rack. Only places here that can even be in the shadow of places like PMB, Sabie and Western Cape are Groenkloof, Fountains valley and Rietvlei.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeesh! We are spoilt for choice!!! ...seeing Karkloof mentioned a few times...I am now very interested to go and have a look/ride :clap:

Why don't you please post some pics that would make us go and support your local trails? I agree with the earlier post that we should stop complaining about what we got.... Would love to see some Karkloof pics... :thumbup:

I can vouch for Groenkloof/Fountains in Pretoria - go there every weekend, great singletrack and well-marked routes.

Edited by FuelEX

I can't choose, too difficult.

Grabouw

Knysna

Somerset West

Ceres (Eselfontein).

All got top trails with lots of Singletrack. Looking forward to seeing new trails in May when I do that little 3 day stage race.

Anyone that said either Pretoria or Johannesburg either has severe brain damage or they have never travelled outside Gauteng's borders with a bicycle on the bike rack. Only places here that can even be in the shadow of places like PMB, Sabie and Western Cape are Groenkloof, Fountains valley and Rietvlei.

Coming from Stellenbosch I hardly MTB any more in JHB, it is just too depressing and unrewarding. And I see all these okes on their brand spanking new top end 29ers thinking they have no idea what it's about.. Dirt roadies..

If you live any any town mentioned thus far (except gauteng), lap up every glorious moment on the trail..

PS: That oke moaning on here about jonkershoek, I'm in the process of finding that guy, flying down to WC and giving him a massive pielle-wapper..

Jeesh! We are spoilt for choice!!! ...seeing Karkloof mentioned a few times...I am now very interested to go and have a look/ride :clap:

Why don't you please post some pics that would make us go and support your local trails? I agree with the earlier post that we should stop complaining about what we got.... Would love to see some Karkloof pics... :thumbup:

I can vouch for Groenkloof/Fountains in Pretoria - go there every weekend, great singletrack and well-marked routes.

i definitely get my full in pmb (mostly hilton forests) but cant speak for mpumalanga cos i have never ridden there. done a couple of nice trails in the cape, but will still vote for pmb

Most of us from Pretoria are mentally deficient in some or other form...

For me so far it has been Howick/Karkloof. There is SO much excellent riding around there, catering to every skill level & every riding type. Also Hilton & PMB are just down the road.

I think my town Somerset West might win this:

On my doorstep:

Lourensford with 120km dirt road including lots of single tracks, this is mtb heaven

Schapenberg trails, can stay on the dirt and ride into Grabouw MTO area

Helderberg College trails

Helderberg trails, can ride into the Eden Stellenbosch trails

Can ride along the railway line to Bottelary trails in Stellenbosch

Then Stellenbosch is just 20min away by car with:

Jonkershoek is a world class mtb area

Bottelary trails

Eden forrest

Then Grabouw is also just 20mins away by car:

Ok Im getting tired now Grabouw is another world class mtb mecca with lots of different options

For mtb Somerset West is hard to beat, no wonder the Epic ends here.

You "forgot" Oak Valley - just a katspoegie away!!

Then also - Tokai....Durbanville Hills....Wellington....all within a reasonalble drive away...

i definitely get my full in pmb (mostly hilton forests) but cant speak for mpumalanga cos i have never ridden there. done a couple of nice trails in the cape, but will still vote for pmb

Next time you go, please give us a shout, would love to ride there with someon in the know

You "forgot" Oak Valley - just a katspoegie away!!

Then also - Tokai....Durbanville Hills....Wellington....all within a reasonalble drive away...

I know I was getting tired of typing all the great options we have, in Grabouw there is Lebanon, Oak Valley, Grabouw MTO, Groenlandberg, Thandi/Paul Cluver, all within 20mins drive.

I know I was getting tired of typing all the great options we have, in Grabouw there is Lebanon, Oak Valley, Grabouw MTO, Groenlandberg, Thandi/Paul Cluver, all within 20mins drive.

ja but you have to pay for all those, where ours are all gratis :D Edit - ok not all of them but a fair number

done oak valley - that bit down along the river at the end is pretty cool if you do it at superspeed

Edited by Stretch