What would a shock upgrade bring?

RoboLuke

I know mayhem, though you see alot more riders pitching up with revelations, and like the rocky they have a custom 100mm revelation. My point is under certain conditions it can be used as an XC fork with the benefits of AM performance. And that to me is the only RS fork that outshines the Reba in performance, but your quite right cannot be used by everyone or just any bike.

Yeah... Also - the RM is a 9'er, right? So it would stand to reason that the travel ranges differ slightly to the 6'er options.

And yes - I'd love to put a revelation U-Turn on my hardtail. 160mm on the downhills and 120 on the ups. Mmmm, MMMMM!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go lookup the specs for the rocky mountain element 950, but besides that a lot of bikes like the giant anthem and the santa cruz love the extra 20mm of travel and actually improves the bikes geometry and hence can be freely used as a XC fork, just with better trail capability than most other forks.

What mayhem says its true he might not have the top of the range Reba, but the difference is so minute between the RL and the RLTi its not worth the money to upgrade.

1. The RM 950 is a 29er

2. Running a longer fork doesn't improve any bikes geometry. It does however improve how YOU want it to feel or ride.

3. A rev on an Anthem will be a disaster if run at anything longer than 120mm and then what you have is a Reba

4. The fact that it can or even the fact that it is used as a XC fork doesn't make it one. You can space a Lyrik to 100mm and use it as a 4X fork or space it to 80mm and use it as a DJ fork...doesn't make it one.

Back to the point. Stick with the fork you have. Maybe have it serviced and if you really want to upgrade your wheels.

I base that on having ridden both of them on the same bike, on the same trail back to back. I have also ridden the 29er SID and even that model is not a "flexing pogo stick".

It's been a while since the SID was flexy. Rev is not a XC fork.

Oh!

Oh and you base that on?

The only better performing shock in the range, is the revelation, the SID is a useless flexing pogo stick.

It is??

Maybe on a **'er it might be. Or it might just be your head bobbing around more with all that geometry.

No fault of the ROX

Edited by The Drongo

It is??

Maybe on a **'er it might be. Or it might just be your head bobbing around more with all that geometry.

No fault of the ROX

Maybe it is the fault of the ROX. I mean, what angle is he hitting them at? Is he lifting the front on approach, or just slamming into them?

Maybe it is the fault of the ROX. I mean, what angle is he hitting them at? Is he lifting the front on approach, or just slamming into them?

Probably. Yes.

Still no fault of the ROX

Edited by The Drongo

got nothing to do with a 29'er kids, thats just an example of where the revelation is now being adapted for XC riding. Like the Reba has 120mm which i run on my 26" XC Bike you can run the revelation at 120mm and it out performs the Reba. You can argue the point all you want thats of no concern to me. No you wont se pro's riding a revelation on a XC bike, but go try it if your bike allows for the extra bit of lift, and then please feel free to render opinions as snotty as they may be :)

And you have done this? Run a SID, a Reba and a Rev on the same bike on the same trail? Or based on what are you making these comments? Please explain, other than the travel, the difference between a Reba and a Rev to me.

Then of those which are there to add stiffness and then of those which add stiffness because of the longer travel and therefor greater upper tubes which you won't need in any case when spacing it down to 120 or 100mm.

Edited by The Crow

got nothing to do with a 29'er kids, thats just an example of where the revelation is now being adapted for XC riding. Like the Reba has 120mm which i run on my 26" XC Bike you can run the revelation at 120mm and it out performs the Reba. You can argue the point all you want thats of no concern to me. No you wont se pro's riding a revelation on a XC bike, but go try it if your bike allows for the extra bit of lift, and then please feel free to render opinions as snotty as they may be :)

ROFL. Yes, Covie... it can be used as an XC fork given the right settings. But does it make it an XC fork? No. It makes it a fork which some people are using in cross country applications. It may be simple semantics, but it's like adapting a Z3 to be an off-roader. Possible, but not what it was designed to be doing. It's been adapted to do somethig which it was not originally designed to do. That's why the REBA offers 80-120 out the box, and the Revelation 110 - 160.

Yes, you can space the revelation down. But it's still an adaptation.

Edited by cptmayhem

ROFL. Yes, Covie... it can be used as an XC fork given the right settings. But does it make it an XC fork? No. It makes it a fork which some people are using in cross country applications. It may be simple semantics, but it's like adapting a Z3 to be an off-roader. Possible, but not what it was designed to be doing. It's been adapted to do somethig which it was not originally designed to do. That's why the REBA offers 80-120 out the box, and the Revelation 110 - 160.

Yes, you can space the revelation down. But it's still an adaptation.

Lol pot pretty much calling the kettle black.... (oh wait that might be construded as a racist statement these days) but anyway.

Never once said its a pure bred XC fork, I am simply saying if you ADAPT the revelation it does make for a nice XC fork.

Apparently some clever people at RM is off the same opinion hence asking ROX really nicely to develop a custom made one for the Element 950. Yes its a 29'er but i still wouldnt mind having a 26" 100mm version. Rocky could have just stuck Reba's on their 950 series there must be compelling reasons to have the revelation custom made for the bike. It surely would cost a lot more than a Reba.

That said and back on topic, leave your fork as is and get a new wheelset :thumbup:

And you have done this? Run a SID, a Reba and a Rev on the same bike on the same trail? Or based on what are you making these comments? Please explain, other than the travel, the difference between a Reba and a Rev to me.

Then of those which are there to add stiffness and then of those which add stiffness because of the longer travel and therefor greater upper tubes which you won't need in any case when spacing it down to 120 or 100mm.

Yes i have run all three on the same bike on the same trails. And in differnet configurations Im a bit of an techy and i like playing with things and figuring out the math and the reasoning behind them. I also like the technical stuff a lot more than marathon type racing, even though i do a lot of marathon races.

You should also be aware the uppr top tubes only play a small part, according to your logic here a Tora, Recon, Reba, SID running at 100mm will be equal in stiffness, yea sure. RS have always designed their Reba with the additional weight penalty to increase stiffness and be more trail orientated, while they sacrafice stiffness on the SID for race orientated riders. So you buy according to your prefrence and riding style.

Lol pot pretty much calling the kettle black.... (oh wait that might be construded as a racist statement these days) but anyway.

Nope, not unless the ballerina is reading this.

...according to your logic here a Tora, Recon, Reba, SID running at 100mm will be equal in stiffness...

Not at all. Only comparing Reba to Rev. Read my post again. Never said all RS' 100mm forks will be equal in stiffness.

The more stanction you have exposed the bigger the chances are for flex - it's pretty basic science. Case in point Fox 32 that flex like hell in 150mm guise, but running it 120 and 130 rids quite a bit of that. That's without any change other than exposed stanction.

Maybe time to have a look at your math again. :mellow:

Not at all. Only comparing Reba to Rev. Read my post again. Never said all RS' 100mm forks will be equal in stiffness.

The more stanction you have exposed the bigger the chances are for flex - it's pretty basic science. Case in point Fox 32 that flex like hell in 150mm guise, but running it 120 and 130 rids quite a bit of that. That's without any change other than exposed stanction.

Maybe time to have a look at your math again. :mellow:

Once again you amaze :) im going to inform all the DH guys they have flexy forks. :P I suggest you go back to the drawing board on singular assumptions mate, not going to argue this point. If you dont like opinion based on fact deal with it. This thread has been taken and destroyed by people that are simply argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Go drop RS a mail and ask them which forks have the most flex. Maybe then youll get the picture.

You're quoting me, but I'm not sure your reply was even meant for me as there's no relation. :blink: So far you are yet to put opinion based on fact on the table or even make sense.

Read my post again, then read your comment about flexy DH forks again. It. Simply. Makes. No. Sense.