Mosterds to Rhodes Mem Closed

New Landy new life

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a trail from Signal Hill to Cape Point

Now that would be an awesome trail - I'd definitely sign up/vote or do whatever else is needed in support of that. Imagine they used that for the Argus MTB race the week ahead of the road Argus!

Here's an update on the sign at Mostert's Mill: It's an official TMNP sign and is binding. It was put up as a response to guys riding here and this bit not being an official cycling trail. I know that riding will carry on and so do TMNP. If you read the EMP (Environmental Management Plan) of 2002, there are mechanisms in place to request a trail be opened for cycling. So this is not necessarily a closed book. If anyone would like to read the EMP (it's not too long and pretty straightforward, let me know and I will email you a copy. Interesting bit in the EMP is that it talks about exploring the possibility of creating a trail from Signal Hill to Cape Point and I think that it's time to refer back to this idea as it had been "officially" put forward and is not a new idea.

Kandui, there are several people you should speak to regarding this, they got quite far in the proposal and are still on the MTB working committee.. best to get in the know with what has progressed to date, but at the same time keep your views on what you can bring to the table. You seem to have a good spin when it comes to reviving an idea.. :thumbup:

Start a thread on this? The community, I don't think has been involved on this before.. ;)

PS, you know the planning doc is supposed to take this route into account, the one discussed at the last meeting, and we may even have a sponsor for the study. They should have signed already, or are just about to..

Now that would be an awesome trail - I'd definitely sign up/vote or do whatever else is needed in support of that. Imagine they used that for the Argus MTB race the week ahead of the road Argus!

Except it would be too long! Imagine that, more trail on hand than what a race needs.. Could however be an Epic stage!

Except it would be too long! Imagine that, more trail on hand than what a race needs.. Could however be an Epic stage!

Haha - fair point - or they could make it a 24 hr ride ... ;)

Edited by walkerr

Only problem with a big race event on this route would be controlling the Gu packet looters!

Would be a good idea though that you are forced to write you race no, on an packets taken onto the trail .. to enforce this though would be a logistical nightmare!

Or make the argus MTB a point to point race. From Cape point. Ends at kloofnek parking lot.

Would probably be way too gnarly for the masses of people that do the argus mtb though.

..indeed, we've seen what happens at ANY singletrack on such events.. the shape of a bottle comes to mind.

Signal Hill to Deer Park to Blockhouse to Rhodes Memorial to Newlands to Kirstenbosch to Cicelia Forest to Constantia Neck to Hout Bay to Suikerbossie to Camps Bay to Kloof Neck and back to Signal Hill (I hope it happens before I'm to old and stuffed to do it properly.) I'll worry about adding the Cape point bit later.

Signal Hill to Deer Park to Blockhouse to Rhodes Memorial to Newlands to Kirstenbosch to Cicelia Forest to Constantia Neck to Hout Bay to Suikerbossie to Camps Bay to Kloof Neck and back to Signal Hill (I hope it happens before I'm to old and stuffed to do it properly.) I'll worry about adding the Cape point bit later.

Oh that would be so cool! And a pretty hard ride. That, a connection to Tokai, and an out and back loop to Cape Point from either Tokai or Houtbay (chappies in the way though) would elevate Cape Town as a proper MTB destination.

The Signal Hill to Cape Point route seems to have been a premise on which the EMP in 2002 was based. I think a bit naive at the time, but with the upsurge in Mtb since then, this project has to be revived . I will get in touch with the guys in the know once my brain is clear of the Epic.

As of May the Signal Hill to Rhodes Mem will be mapped and marked. One could consider that a start to the project.