Centurion Rides - Any ideas?

Rudi Pollard

I am looking for a nice 30 - 40km MTB loop in centurion I can do after work. I have gone riding a few times but it is mostly on the tar next to the cars, which I do not like to much.

Can any one maybe suggest a route or provide one that you have done?

Thanks

yep, Groenkloof is not a bad idea at all. Or you can, on a Saturday morning from 06:30 hook up with the Epic Sports group-ride. They depart from their new store in Jean Ave (where the Dros is).

Have beginner (20km) intermediate (40km) and longer ride groups that depart from there. You dont have to belong to the club to join the ride. Go through Irene, Smuts House, Olifantsfontein area trails that one would not normally venture out on alone. Safety in numbers!

@lapa, where in Centurion do you stay? I can recommend some ideas if you are in the Wierdapark / Eldoraigne / Rooihuiskraal side.

I do ride groenies quite often, but just looking at some other options as well. I am in Zwartkop right next to eldoraigne/wierda park. Very close to the Bosvelder Pub if you know where that is.

Hook old JHB rd out till nelmapius, kap a left over the N1 and then left on that new road through eco park until Jean, or botha if you wish, then straight until Hans strijdom, which will return you to old JHB rd. Yes I know it sounds like a lot of tar but for the majority of the route, you will have 1-2m of dirt next to the road to cycle on and the main reason I recommend the route is that it is as close to safe as you can get, plus its around 35k so perfect for one or two loops after work (two loops can be completed in under 3 hours without killing you at around 25km/h)

I normally go down via Hendrik Verwoerd, around back of Mall@Reds, South to the water tower in Fouriesburg, then a right turn onto Lenchen, downhill until the dead end, then turn around and back up all the way past the water tower until you hit Rooihuiskraal road. There I turn right and continue up to Panorama traffic light. Right turn into Panorama, down past the Spar, on to the traffic circle.Turn right at the traffic circle into Brakfontein and continue through Thatchfields past the golf course and up the hill. Nice short hill, sometimes I repeat it a few times. Then back to Panorama, back to Rooihuiskraal road, turn right and head down up to Samrand Ave. There turn left and go up to Rietspruit road (first traffic light before the N1). Turn right and head up to Blue Valley. I normally go down the right of Blue Valley up to the river but never past as this can be risky. Turn around and back up to Blue Valley, maybe repeat the hill once or twice. Then past Blue Valley on to Lever Road. Up to here you normally have about 13-15km on the clock depending on hill repeats. Sometimes I go on with Lever all the way to where it becomes Harry Galaun past Olifantsfontein up to Allandale, and then retrace my steps. Most of this route has ample dirt area if you look around, and it is fairly safe as there are always cars around. It is not as fast going as Purnjap's route but good exercise (for me at least). And it is not too boring.