Bryton 50 vs Garmin 805

Paul Ruinaard

Hi

Anyone got any comments on which is better. I am binning my Garmin 305 as it has started to trun off which seems to be a well knwn problem with them. Bryton is quite a bit cheaper - anyone doen a comparison?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Bryton Rider50 and really like it. Great value as well and a nice mounting system. Battery life is good and it's easy to use. The web interface is user friendly and you can export the files to use on Strava, Endomondo etc.

Have you tried updating the firmware? Seriously though, not sure where you are based, but have you tried taking it to a Garmin agent? They have been know to either perform miracles or swop the unit out failing which they offer a killer discount on an updated replacement unit.

800, not 805. Bryton is not bad, but was made for people who want to spend a bit less on their computers, but then again, pay less, and get less!

Firmware update is not going to work on the 305. It is a known problem - you can solder the batteries inside - just google it and you will see and as per the web postings it happens more and more often once it starts, so the 305 is going to the place in the sky where old cycling computers go when they are broken.... But I will try it with the local Gramin agent as I am rather peed off about it. I have to constantly turn it on again. I would like the 800 as it has some nice navigation features for routes etc but it is expensive. Thanks for the advice

Have you tried updating the firmware? Seriously though, not sure where you are based, but have you tried taking it to a Garmin agent? They have been know to either perform miracles or swop the unit out failing which they offer a killer discount on an updated replacement unit.

Updating the firmware is not going to sort out a hardware design flaw! Issue lied with the connecting points between chip board and battery.

Garmin has a couple of functions more, is more customizable, user friendly, integrates with more external programs etc.

Garmin!

Firmware update is not going to work on the 305. It is a known problem - you can solder the batteries inside - just google it and you will see and as per the web postings it happens more and more often once it starts, so the 305 is going to the place in the sky where old cycling computers go when they are broken.... But I will try it with the local Gramin agent as I am rather peed off about it. I have to constantly turn it on again. I would like the 800 as it has some nice navigation features for routes etc but it is expensive. Thanks for the advice

Updating the firmware is not going to sort out a hardware design flaw! Issue lied with the connecting points between chip board and battery.

Garmin has a couple of functions more, is more customizable, user friendly, integrates with more external programs etc.

Garmin!

Like a frisbee over a fat labrador(s).

If you read the Garmin Forums, the first bit of advice from the older guys that don't have a clue what the problem is, is "Have you tried updating the firmware?" (The comments was also followed by "Seriously though...") Nevermind........

I have however heard of somebody on this forum being offered a big discount on and Edge 500 when he took his 305 in to an Garmin agent to be checked out and it was determined that it was beyond repair. I would take it to Garmin and see what they say. I am using a 305 that so far hasn't given me any problems apart from the odd time that it won't switch on. The first sign of impending doom, I am off to Avnic....

I have an edge 800 and I love it. Can be used as a normal GPS if you purchase the maps to load. Gives me loads of data (more than what I actually use) - can upload to GTC Garmin connect, Endomondo, maymyride (the ones I have used before).

R4200 odd at www.easygis.co.za for the performance bundle - everything you need for the bike. I bought a silicon cover for it for a little bit extra - think they have it for R110 or somewhere close to that.

I have not used the Bryton, so can't give any feedback there.

Google 'dcrainmaker' and see if he has done a comparison.

Like a frisbee over a fat labrador(s).

"Have you tried updating the firmware?" (The comments was also followed by "Seriously though...") Nevermind........

Was this not your advice on the other thread where there was a cadence sensor problem?

Seriously, telling someone to do a firmware update each time there is a hint of a problem, is like pc technicians in the 90ies blaming every conceivable problem on the motherboard when they had no clue what the real problem was.

This standard "update your firmware" response from the old toppies on especially the Garmin Sa forum, drives me insane! I have found many software solutions to their "it can't be done" attitude. The international forum is much better, exploring issues and solving them is at the order of the day.

I am using a 305 that so far hasn't given me any problems apart from the odd time that it won't switch on. The first sign of impending doom, I am off to Avnic....

Depending on when your unit was manufactured, I went through four 305's before I eventually couldn't take it any more and imported the Edge 500. (Garmin SA for some weird unknown reason only import the blue units, which just couldn't go on my bike)

The 305 design was changed in later models and the issue resolved, after way too much bitching and moaning mind you.

As jy regtig ou koeie uit die slote wil grawe en tyd op jou hande het, search for Garmin Edge 305 sucks, the DIY solutions is also in that thread.

After all that, I'm still a huge Garmin fan and the Edge 500 & 800 is the business!

Was this not your advice on the other thread where there was a cadence sensor problem?

Seriously, telling someone to do a firmware update each time there is a hint of a problem, is like pc technicians in the 90ies blaming every conceivable problem on the motherboard when they had no clue what the real problem was.

This standard "update your firmware" response from the old toppies on especially the Garmin Sa forum, drives me insane! I have found many software solutions to their "it can't be done" attitude. The international forum is much better, exploring issues and solving them is at the order of the day.

Depending on when your unit was manufactured, I went through four 305's before I eventually couldn't take it any more and imported the Edge 500. (Garmin SA for some weird unknown reason only import the blue units, which just couldn't go on my bike)

The 305 design was changed in later models and the issue resolved, after way too much bitching and moaning mind you.

As jy regtig ou koeie uit die slote wil grawe en tyd op jou hande het, search for Garmin Edge 305 sucks, the DIY solutions is also in that thread.

After all that, I'm still a huge Garmin fan and the Edge 500 & 800 is the business!

:lol: Just had a look back at that thread. It was mingmong that made the suggestion and you replied. That's where I got it from.

I looked at the DIY solution on one of the international forums with the cellphone battery. Mine was one of the first units and it came from the states at about half the price of a local unit. The only issue has been the unit not turning on. Turns into a mild panic at 4:30 in the morning and your group is waiting for you while you look on Google with your phone for a solution...

When it stops I will take it to Avnic for a trade in...!

Edit: @ OP you get what you pay for at the end of the day. Buy the Garmin. You won't be sorry!

Edited by Grebel

:lol: Just had a look back at that thread. It was mingmong that made the suggestion and you replied. That's where I got it from.

I looked at the DIY solution on one of the international forums with the cellphone battery. Mine was one of the first units and it came from the states at about half the price of a local unit. The only issue has been the unit not turning on. Turns into a mild panic at 4:30 in the morning and your group is waiting for you while you look on Google with your phone for a solution...

When it stops I will take it to Avnic for a trade in...!

Edit: @ OP you get what you pay for at the end of the day. Buy the Garmin. You won't be sorry!

my two 2c= Firmware updates does sometimes help, i had a 305 that did the same spoke to the Garmin technician in Durban his name is Gift (tel-031-5396020)and he gave me the option to do a core-exchange to a 500 for R998 or a corex for an 800 for R2000

you can also speak to Peter They Are both EXTREMELY helpfull.

my two 2c= Firmware updates does sometimes help, i had a 305 that did the same spoke to the Garmin technician in Durban his name is Gift (tel-031-5396020)and he gave me the option to do a core-exchange to a 500 for R998 or a corex for an 800 for R2000

you can also speak to Peter They Are both EXTREMELY helpfull.

I was just generalising. I have to agree with you regarding Dbn Garmin. I had a problem with my HR strap not transmitting after a battery change. I spoke to Gift and he helped me out with a "new" strap and he gave me back my old strap in working order with a new battery. I walked in with a faulty strap and walked out with two working straps. :thumbup:

Plus Garmin 500 and 800 uses +ANT technology and can be hooked up to your powermeter and bathroom scale even! Bryton can't.

I've played around with the Bryton Rider 50 (equivilant to the Edge 705, some say copy) and their user interface just doesn't match Garmins

Plus Garmin 500 and 800 uses +ANT technology and can be hooked up to your powermeter and bathroom scale even! Bryton can't.

I've played around with the Bryton Rider 50 (equivilant to the Edge 705, some say copy) and their user interface just doesn't match Garmins

CORRECTION

Bryton also uses ANT+ for HR strap and powermeter

Bryton has also updated their ANT+ to work with the built in Cadence of the new power meters, files can also be exported to be used with Training peaks and WKO+.

That being said there is 2 little things that bug me about the bryton:

1.) When using IDT it does not record properly and you have a lot of gaps in your file for reviewing afterwards

2.) You cannot download files without being connected to the internet and logged into their website

Not sure how Garmin reacts to these scenarios.

2.) You cannot download files without being connected to the internet and logged into their website

is garmin connect not exactly the same?