Berg and Bush 2012

Beer4Recovery

For everyone doing their 1st B&B, relax, its one hell of a fun event. Really a chilled vibe and the food... well lets just say you will go home heavier than you arrived. The 1st day is one of my favourite days ever on a mtb. Dropping over the escarpment down Solly's Folly is just toooooo much fun. Day 2 has the famed Spioenkop climb maxing out at 25%, buts its on paving so just dont stop. Coming down Spioenkop via "Princess Margaret Drive" is also brilliant single track. If you love downhills this singletrack will put a smile on your face. Day 3 around the dam is also nice and Puffaddder pass is great (even if I landed up in the bushes last year when skill levels were below that of speed levels). The tracks are great and nothing too technical but there are some tough climbs. Its still a long ride but if you've done the training you will have a fun time. To get your car from the start on day 1 to Winterton just book a transfer on the website (word of warning - dont leave any valuables in your car. A mates car was relieved of a few items last year, but this was an isolated case). Bags will be transferred from the start to Emseni at the start of stage 1. Just go drop it off at the truck allocated to your race # and pick it up when you get to Emseni. An "epic" size bag works just fine, after all its just 3 days not a week. I for one am counting down the minutes to the Fedgroup Berg and Bush 2012.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you doing your 1st stage race and wondering what to pack, this was my packing list for this years Epic. It all fitted into my Epic bag, so cut accordingly for shorter races. I also packed all my supplement per day into small ziplock bags so there was no measuring out each day, just grab the days pack and go, which means no huge supplement containers to drag along. The meds list is just in case.

One other tip, start taking a probiotic NOW ( I start a week before a stage race) and for the duration of the race. The stomach is one area of your body you want to have in 100% condition comes race day, plus its key to keeping your immune system strong. You will be eating different food from normal and drinking water from a different source so take those probiotics.

GENERAL

Sleeping bag

Pillow

Garmin Charger

Ear Plugs

Headlamp

Water Bottle

Phone & Charger

Camera

Sunglasses

I-pod

2 x combo locks (Tent & Bag)

CLOTHES

Salamon Trail Shoes

Slops

4 x Underwear

Tracksuit pants

2 x Shorts

Swimming Costume

4 x T-shirts

1Long T-shirt

Cap & beanie

PJ’s

Windbreaker

2 Casual Socks

Jeans

Belt

CYCLING KIT

4 Pairs cycle kit

4 Pairs Bike Socks

2 Pairs Gloves

WATERPROOF Rain Jacket (not water resistant, they are just useless if it rains)

1 Thermal Under shirt

FOOD & DRINK

Oat Energy bars

Fruit sticks

Super C

Biogen Recovergen x 16 servings

Bigen Cytogen Race mix x 48 servings

Biogen Gels x 48

MEDS

Vitamins

Cal c vita

Probiotics

Myprodol

Panado

Immodium

Buscopan

Arnica massage

Vaseline

Fissan Paste

Tea Tree Oil

Bactroban

Corenza C

Rehydrate

Transact pads

Xysal

Airmune

Cotton Wool

ADMIN

ID

Money

Wallet

Air Tickets & Car Hire

Accomodation Details

Toiletries

Shower Gel

Razor

Shaving Cream

Toothpaste

Toothbrush

Sunblock F50

Labello Lip F30

Towel

Chamois Cream (Milking Cream works a charm)

BIKE STUFF

Bike shoes

Helmet

2 x water bottles

Garmin hrm & strap

Oakleys

UV Sleeves

Camelback (if required)

10 sp chain link

Multi-tool incl chain breaker

Spare tube x 1

Rear drop out

4 x Cytogen refills

CO2 adaptor & 2 x Bombs

Valve core and tool

Sunblock

Pump

Mini Leatherman

Zip Ties & Duct Tape

Phone

Credit Card

Small Lube

Puncture Repair kit / Gators

Tyre Liners

Edited by MuddyMike

Is it a must that team members must have matching cycling kit (shirts & shorts)?

you will get thrown out if you dont........

Is it a must that team members must have matching cycling kit (shirts & shorts)?

And socks and water bottles....

Ok I'm in.............1st Berg & Bush. Can't wait!

Yep, me too as of yesterday. Stoked...

I won't be riding the Nishiki Performance Design this time through the Garden of Eden tho, thank God.

Edited by davetapson

Yep, me too as of yesterday. Stoked...

I won't be riding the Nishiki Performance Design this time through the Garden of Eden tho, thank God.

:thumbup: :thumbup: gonna be loads of fun!

For those who have done it before, would u suggest doing it on a 26fs or 29ht?

How bumpy is the majority of the tracks, or are they smooth like Sani2c with just a few technical sections?